Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Thanks Dennis!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2008 :  09:37:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
Through my recent years of discovering Slack Key and Hawaiian music I'm always keeping an ear out for songs that move me to the point that I tell myself "I've just got to learn that song". One constant I'm finding is that many of the songs that touch my heart are ones composed by Dennis Kamakahi. The latest being Kokee. After hearing Bill Keale perform this tune while the Hokulea Dancers danced to it, I told myself "I've got to learn that song"....just as I did after hearing Wahine Ilikea, Pua Hone, E Hihiwai, etc, etc. What an amazing talent!

Bill also has expressed great admiration for your music.

A big Mahalo for sharing your wonderful gift.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2008 :  5:14:26 PM  Show Profile
I love watching Dennis perform......and I ALMOST like hearing his stories as much as his music.

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2008 :  08:18:11 AM  Show Profile
quote:
just as I did after hearing Wahine Ilikea, Pua Hone, E Hihiwai, etc, etc.
And, of course, you are just getting started!

Those you mentioned plus:

Koaloha Mau 'a Mau
and Steal Away

are on my "Must Learn" list as well

(I was priviledged to get a lesson on the latter two from Dennis over at Patrick's house a couple of years ago)

Edited by - Lawrence on 05/26/2008 08:20:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1019 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2008 :  07:05:23 AM  Show Profile
first Hawaiian song that I learned
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2008 :  11:14:10 PM  Show Profile
Dennis is an amazing talent. His musical abilities are beyond compare, but to me, he is the ultimate Hawaiian poet. His mele are so beautiful, both in the language and the imagery.

Can you imagine such a young man having the emotional maturity to pen such a complex song as Wahine `Ilikea? Koke`e is a song that touches so many people's hearts. And how could Robin NOT marry him, after a song like Pua Hone? He has such a diverse bunch of songs he has written from the down home sounding I ke Alo o Iesu to the bouncy Ka Opae. Oh yeah, then there is that pakalolo song (tsk tsk). But also do not forget his Viet Nam song. And then, there are his renditions of others songs, especially those of the Queen (such as Ladana). WOW!

And then another great thing his talent has produced...David, who is a most accomplished musician in his own right.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  09:24:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage

Those you mentioned plus:

Koaloha Mau 'a Mau
and Steal Away

are on my "Must Learn" list as well

(I was priviledged to get a lesson on the latter two from Dennis over at Patrick's house a couple of years ago)

[/quote]

Thanks Lawrence, I'll have to check out those songs too. Hope to someday meet the man in person...a little lesson would be fantastic, but that's probably stretchin' it a bit. haha

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000