Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Freeway Vamp
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2008 :  07:30:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
Reid--We like what we like, so it's possible that your ear just doesn't care for the acoustic archtop sound. Still, I'll venture a few listening suggestions. The Freddie Green approach nails the rhythmic job of the guitar in swing, but it's designed to operate in the context of a big band--thus Green's sound-one-string technique (there's a detailed description of it in the "Technique" section of freddiegreen.org). In small ensembles you can actually hear the guitar textures in the mix, and there are plenty of players whose sounds I like: Tony Marcus and Sylvia Herold with Cats & Jammers; Dakota Dave Hull and Kari Larson (both playing '30's Epiphones); Martin Taylor and David Grisman on the "Tone Poems II" album, showing off a range of fine old guitars (and mandos). And then there's gypsy jazz. though that's an entirely different sonic universe.

On edit--here's a sample of Tony Marcus's playing with fiddler Paul Anastasio: http://www.swingcatenterprises.com/current/AudLink/102.m3u

Edited by - Russell Letson on 05/30/2008 07:42:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2008 :  08:22:05 AM  Show Profile
Russell, I know you were being kind and trying to edjamacate my ear, so thank you, but that cut sent me howling out of the room. First I loath, despise, and fear jazz fiddle - fingernails scratching on blackboards are better. Then, that chunk, chunk, chunk of the guitar, until the break - during which the guitar sounds like a steel rubber band (it must be physically possible), with no resonance or overtones detectable. Again, it was a sonically painful, de gustibus, and I thank you for the attempt.

Many of the archtops are visually stunning, but...

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2008 :  08:51:23 AM  Show Profile
quote:
About a third of what they play is what I would call jazz.

For all you jazz fans outside western Washington, try my favorite radio station: www.kplu.org

Larry

PS - KKCR is of course a close second.
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2008 :  09:07:31 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Goldstein

quote:
About a third of what they play is what I would call jazz.

For all you jazz fans outside western Washington, try my favorite radio station: www.kplu.org

Larry

PS - KKCR is of course a close second.

Don't forget KBCS in the morning (6 - noon).

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2008 :  09:33:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
Larry--KPLU is where I set the rental-car radio on my annual visits to the Seattle area. When we were doing the all-night packing marathons to move my wife's office to its new building we linked her high-speed net connection to their stream--it made the job tolerable. (But it didn't stop my back from aching for the rest of the week.)

Reid--Understood. Despite nearly forty years of my wife's periodic nudging, I still can't stand watermelon. (But--not even Grappelli? C'mon, just a little taste--it's really good, really. . . .)
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2008 :  11:07:27 AM  Show Profile
Russell, to the tumbril with Grapelli, pour encourager les autres.

Taste, like sulphurous soft boiled eggs, with texture like Elmer's glue?

Try Sidney Bechet, clarinetist. Velvety chocolate and cinnamon spice. Or, vocally, Joe Williams.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2008 :  11:51:39 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Reid, tell us how you really feel! Not even Dan Hicks and the Hot Licks? Just don't ask me to listen to Ornette Coleman. I watched him empty out the arena (16,000+) at The Monterey Jazz Festival, leaving about 500 people who thought they "got it".

To each his own.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2008 :  12:28:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
here's a sample of Tony Marcus's playing with fiddler Paul Anastasio

Two of the greats.

And, for extra credit... count the back cycles and II-V-Is in the chord progression.

Gosh, Reid. ya don't like archtops or jazz fiddles. Given the Sydney Bechet reference, you must be partial to plectrum banjos. Now there's an acquired taste!

I never saw Ornette Coleman, but I did see Old and New Dreams, made up of a number of his harmolodic partners: Don Cherry, Dewey Redman, Charlie Haden, & Ed Blackwell. Damnedest music I ever heard - beautiful and stunning.

I asked Jimmy Garafolo, a jazz bassist I was sitting next to, if he could kindly explain just what they were doing. Jimmy just grinned and said, "I haven't a clue. Good, isn't it?"

Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2008 :  12:28:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
Well, then--reeds, Coleman Hawkins, Ben Webster, Zoot Sims; brass, Louis, Ruby Braff, early Miles, Frank Rossolino, Tommy Dorsey, John Jensen (still alive! on trombone); piano, Monk, Duke, Fats, Nat; drums, Krupa, Joe Morello; rhythm sections, Basie's, Fats', Duke Robillard's on "After Hours Swing Session". . . . I could spin off dream gigs all day. (Even without including fiddlers and archtop players, out of respect.)

Edited by - Russell Letson on 05/30/2008 12:30:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2008 :  12:36:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
Nah, just a couple of geezers poking each other with tongue depressors (we're not allowed to have sharp sticks).
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2008 :  2:24:54 PM  Show Profile
Russell, I am with you on 95% of those guys and I could add some more - lots more.

"Your feets too big". You know who, and it is on CD, remastered, too.

Oh. Hows about George Shearing and Mel? Talk about funny - "Salt Peanuts". I know all the words: "I'm cool. John Travolta knows my friend." You had to be there.

Ornette is credited with quarter-tone music (you may not agree it is music) but it is quite different from atonal, like the crazoid Austrian Shreker. I had a friend (he disappeared into OstDeutschland - really) who had a painting by Shreker, his hero - it was a claw coming out of the universe to clutch the Earth. He and I used to listen to Bix for hours and drink single malts. Sarah was not pleased.

Dog, you always know where I stand. I think you are pleased.

OK John, we won't upset you any more. At least, I won't. However.
These are not exactly "performers". They originate musical genres. They don't do "covers", for instance. They don't, in fact usually cover themselves. It is like, you can say, I don't like Baroque, or I like Rossini, but I don't like Verdi, or Chopin is called a Romantic, but he is nothing like Beethoven, who is also called a Romantic. So, you may be drawn to one who is tagged by a label, but not like, even be repelled by, another, who is tagged with the same label. Get it?

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 05/30/2008 3:20:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2008 :  3:45:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
What's Sarah got against single-malts? Or was it the consumption-measured-in-hours? (I can make the one-per-day I allow myself last almost 15 minutes.) Couldn't have been Bix, surely. [Yes it could--and don't call me Shirley!]

Sorry, dropped into Zucker-Abrahams-Zucker territory for a minute there.

Yo' pedal extremities are obnoxious!

Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2008 :  1:07:17 PM  Show Profile
Chee all dis from one license plate. Imagine if someone actually saw one musician!

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.

Edited by - noeau on 05/31/2008 1:07:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

braddah jay
Lokahi

235 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2008 :  7:04:56 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

Chee all dis from one license plate. Imagine if someone actually saw one musician!

But I did,...see a musician,love your video uncle.More hana hou.Aloha braddah jay
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000