Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 What ever happened to.../ Where are they now?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  03:06:54 AM  Show Profile
What's up with. . .

Moses Kahumoku

Nedward Kaapana

Lono

Kapono Beamer

Gaylord Holomalia

Mickey Ioane

Atta Damasco

Haunani Apoliona

Michael Kahikina

Pandanus Club

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  05:49:50 AM  Show Profile
Moses -- living and working on Hawai`i island, last I heard
Nedward -- lives on O`ahu; performs occasionally
Lono -- lives on Moloka`i; performs regularly there; lonomusic.com
Kapono -- lives on O`ahu; music producer & realtor; www.kapono.com
Gaylord -- lives on O`ahu; runs big recording studio in Hawai`i Kai
Mickey -- good question!
Ata -- living and working on Maui
Haunani -- lives on O`ahu; chair of Office of Hawaiian Affairs
Michael -- another good question!
Pandanus Club -- headed by Kenneth Makuakane who is busy producing, performing, recording (lives on O`ahu), and begin dad to new baby boy born in December; makuakane.com

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  07:21:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Maria

Lono -- lives on Moloka`i; performs regularly there; lonomusic.com

Check out his four volumes of "Old Style" music - mostly Moloka`i-oriented originals now, some fun stuff, plays all the instruments himself and records at Moloka`i's unique Monkeypod Studios.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  08:01:33 AM  Show Profile
I gots the Lono music. I just have not seen any news or anything about him. Glad to hear everything is going well for him on Moloka`i. Last I knew, he had said that there was some huhu with the distribution company and he is only selling his CDs live when he performs.

I do not wish to start ugly stories, but somewhere I read that perhaps Atta Damasco was in jail because of drugs???

I know about Haunanai, but seems like she doesn't even play with Jerry Santos any more. Her 12-string guitar is so very good sounding, it would be nice to have something up to date from her, but I can uncerstnd if she has a "higher calling" with OHA. We have one Nedward solo CD, and wowie -- some talent in that family. Nedward is mighty good, even by himself. Just wondered if he get elemakule like me and get retired. Same same wonder about Kapono Beamer.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

808robertr
Akahai

72 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  10:50:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit 808robertr's Homepage
michael kahikina-he's a state representative and works with waianae boys and girls club
Go to Top of Page

hapuna
Lokahi

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  11:49:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapuna's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

We have one Nedward solo CD, and wowie -- some talent in that family. Nedward is mighty good, even by himself. Just wondered if he get elemakule like me and get retired. Same same wonder about Kapono Beamer.

Kapono has had some music out recently.
But whats up with Led and Ned's parents. Does anyone know how they got the names of Nedward and Ledward(what no edward?). Always wondered that.

hapuna
Seattle
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  1:15:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Yes, Ata Damasco was tangled up in some bad stufff for awhile. Hoping he's learned his lesson. I just bought his religious album (from Auntie Maria) for my mom and she said it brought tears to her eyes when she heard it. His album "Pa'ina Hou" is one of my favorites.

Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  5:21:21 PM  Show Profile
Haunani was playing just occasional Saturdays with Olomana at the Hilton anymore -- and when the hotel closed their Paradise Lounge, Jerry was offered the Tapa Bar site instead. It's much, much smaller -- only room for Jerry and one other player. Jerry only plays on Friday nights...Haunani (unfortunately) is never available.

And yes, Ata's troubles seem to be past...good news, indeed!

I'll ask Led about how the names were chosen...

Auntie Maria
===================
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  6:52:05 PM  Show Profile
So to answer the Ledward/Nedward name question, I called Sharon (Led's wife)...and was surprised to learn the details myself!

Led's mom (Tina) didn't know she was expecting twins (it was 60 years ago, folks). She'd chosen the name Ledward -- last name of an O`ahu family she admired. Led was born first, and then SURPRISE came one more baby boy. She knew she wanted to give him a name that would let folks know that these boys were twins...Nedward was the first rhyming name that popped into her head.

Dontcha just love learning stuff like this about our island musicians???

Auntie Maria
===================

Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  7:15:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
I talked to Moses in Ace Hardware this morning. He is doing fine. Thanks for asking!

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  9:17:45 PM  Show Profile
So is this Atta Damascus the same young man who came to a kanikapila at the church in Waihe'e, with an unbelievably beautiful voice? Kevin Brown, help me out here... Did he play bass, I think???? Or was that a completely different individual?

Julie
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  05:14:01 AM  Show Profile
Julie, Ata Damasco primarily plays uke -- but it wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that he's also adept at bass.

His falsetto voice is awesome...chicken-skin when he sings himeni.

Auntie Maria
===================

Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  08:38:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

I gots the Lono music. I just have not seen any news or anything about him. Glad to hear everything is going well for him on Moloka`i. Last I knew, he had said that there was some huhu with the distribution company and he is only selling his CDs live when he performs.

Could be - I get 'em directly from him, thanks to his mom; we met at the Kalama Days event a couple years back, and she put me in touch with him. Do you have the latest/fourth volume? That and #3 are great discs - his original material is really strong.
Go to Top of Page

hapuna
Lokahi

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  09:25:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapuna's Homepage
quote:

Dontcha just love learning stuff like this about our island musicians???

What I especially like is that we don't leave it to stories or rumors but we just call da buggas up and get it from da horses mout.
Mahalo Auntie.

hapuna
Seattle
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  03:51:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:

Julie, Ata Damasco primarily plays uke -- but it wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that he's also adept at bass.

His falsetto voice is awesome...chicken-skin when he sings himeni.

Ata played all of the instruments on his first CD. In fact, he played an upright bass with half of the back missing and only three strings. Oh, and those strings were lawn trimmer line.

The guy is amazing - one of my favorites.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

808robertr
Akahai

72 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2008 :  04:47:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit 808robertr's Homepage
Was thinking about him the other day....Akoni Malacas? Any relation to Ala Malacas?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000