Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Do you only play acoustic?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  1:09:27 PM  Show Profile
How many you guys also play electric guitar? If you play electric, what kine music? Rock & Roll? Blues? Country (well, whatever that is they call country nowdays)?, Jazz? Any got 12-string electric like Roger McGuinn kine?

What kine amplfier you gets?

Do you find it easier on the hands to play electric?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  2:00:13 PM  Show Profile
nope
ony kika and ukulele -- howevuh wit pickemups

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  8:36:41 PM  Show Profile
only nylon string (classical) guitar
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2008 :  01:02:35 AM  Show Profile
For me it is just acoustic.
I have one electric guitar (semi-hollow body) that I bought two years ago but it only has maybe 10 total hours of playing time on it. Fingerstyle on electric doesn't exactly spin my propeller so it rarely gets out of the case.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2008 :  2:37:12 PM  Show Profile
Let's just say that I wish I didn't have to play electric as much as I am currently...(for the blues/oldies/classic rock band gig that I am doing currently.... gotta pay the bills somehow...)

To answer part 2, I think my nylon string guitar is the easiest on my fingers but a electric with light gauge strings is pretty easy on the hands too.
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2008 :  7:16:34 PM  Show Profile
Ledward said he used to play kerosene guitar. Me I only get acoustic with all kine pickups different kine in each one. Some ukes get p/u too. but natural is the way to go. I just found one unplugged open mike, so its not really open mike more like open unplugged, where no mo alcohol so da people listen to you play. Dey no talk until aftah too. The level of music is very high in terms of quality of players. I am happy to be able to share my manaʻo with them.

They thought I was pretty good, their words not mine. Me I just think I was different and fresh to their ears.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.

Edited by - noeau on 06/15/2008 7:19:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2008 :  7:33:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Electric bass guitar, no room in my little car for an acoustic bass viol.
Only one of my three ukes is electric; it's a Risa uke-stick, so it's of no use acoustically. But I use it rarely, so I play `ukulele acoustic most of the time.

P.S.) Noeau is pretty good - they were right.

Edited by - Retro on 06/15/2008 7:35:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2008 :  07:01:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Acoustic & electric.

American Masters Strat for rootsy stuff: R&B, zydeco, country---what do you need?
Eastman archtop for swingy stuff-- big band, western, R&B
Black Mountain Pink Thing for electric dulcimer stuff

Amps?
Ancient Duncan tube amp. Like a cross between a Deluxe verb and an AC30. If you know what that mean, you know what that means.
Almost ancient GK MLE 206. Itty bitty powerhouse. Huge sound in a tiny package.

Framus, Fender & Ashbory electric basses for bassy stuff.
Amps:
Roland Micro Cube Bass
Carvin AC100 -- yep, the same one I use for acoustic guitar. Killer little bass amp.

I learned long ago that acoustic & electric guitars are totally different instruments. So it's not really a matter of "which is easier on your hands."

I once heard a slack key version of "Tiny Bubbles" played on a seriously overdriven Strat.

Uncle Danny up in Seattle plays a sweet thin line Gibson of some vintage. He knows I covet it.

And don't forget Leonard Kwan's recordings on the big ol' hollowbody archtop with the floating pickup.

Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2008 :  09:02:19 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mark

Acoustic & electric.

American Masters Strat for rootsy stuff: R&B, zydeco, country---what do you need?
Eastman archtop for swingy stuff-- big band, western, R&B
Black Mountain Pink Thing for electric dulcimer stuff

Amps?
Ancient Duncan tube amp. Like a cross between a Deluxe verb and an AC30. If you know what that mean, you know what that means.
Almost ancient GK MLE 206. Itty bitty powerhouse. Huge sound in a tiny package.

Framus, Fender & Ashbory electric basses for bassy stuff.
Amps:
Roland Micro Cube Bass
Carvin AC100 -- yep, the same one I use for acoustic guitar. Killer little bass amp.

I learned long ago that acoustic & electric guitars are totally different instruments. So it's not really a matter of "which is easier on your hands."

I once heard a slack key version of "Tiny Bubbles" played on a seriously overdriven Strat.

Uncle Danny up in Seattle plays a sweet thin line Gibson of some vintage. He knows I covet it.

And don't forget Leonard Kwan's recordings on the big ol' hollowbody archtop with the floating pickup.

Danny's guitar is a Gibson ES-175, good guitar, less ornate version of the ES-375 favored by Chuck Berry. As for me:

Steels:
Dobro 8 (acoustic)
Krause Koa resonator 6 (acoustic)
Fender Champ single 6
Morell Single 8
Jerry Byrd Frypan single 8
Fender Stringmaster double 8
Sho-Bud ProII double 10 (pedals)
Carter Double 10
I play the non-pedal electics through a Peavy Classic 30, and the pedal steels through a Peavy Vegas 400

Guitars:
Sears Gene Autry (really a Stella, but gerat stencils)
Martin D-18 (pickup)
'71 Fender Tele Custom through a Peavy Austin 400

Myriad ukes, but my gig one is a Kamaka tenor with a double-dot pickup.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2008 :  1:41:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
Danny's guitar is a Gibson ES-175, good guitar, less ornate version of the ES-375 favored by Chuck Berry

You sure of that? All the ES 175's I've played were big fat suckers. I recall that Danny's is a thinline. Never saw an ES 175 with that sweet red sunburst, either. Maybe an ES 125 or ES135?

Take a look at:

http://vintage-guitars.blogspot.com/2005/10/gibson-es-guitars.html

It is a pretty decent site to drool over, errr, identify Gibson ES (for Electric Spanish, for those who don't know) series guitars. I want one of each.

I had an ES150 that was not the ususal deal: mine was from the 70s, big blond double cutaway with humbuckers -- replaced w/ EMGs by whoever got it before me. Just about the sweetest guitar a boy could want.

Naturally I sold it a few years ago... what was I thinking???????

_____

A little deeper looking and I found this:

"The es-175t was introduced in 1978 , it was the same guitar but thinline , single pointed cutaway , 2 humbuckers and were made in natural , sunburst and wine red finishes , were discontinued in 1980."

So looks like Slippry is right. It is a 175-- just not like any 175 I'd ever seen. Isn't the internet a wonderful thing!

Edited by - Mark on 06/16/2008 1:49:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2008 :  3:07:09 PM  Show Profile
I forgot to add my precious '68 P-bass (Fender Precision, that is) played through my old Ampeg V-115B (big fuzzy fellah). Played a gig on him Saturday - doubled on steel but mostly bass. Almost figured out how to use the neck as a steel!

keaka
Go to Top of Page

pifarrell
Aloha

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2008 :  12:55:51 AM  Show Profile
1970 Fender Telecaster, 1978 Yamaha SG2000, Laney GC120 100W amp though not for much longer as I'm in the process of selling everything but my Crafter GA6 (needs must, unfortunately).

bigeedjit
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2008 :  05:14:21 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by slipry1

I forgot to add my precious '68 P-bass (Fender Precision, that is) played through my old Ampeg V-115B (big fuzzy fellah). Played a gig on him Saturday - doubled on steel but mostly bass. Almost figured out how to use the neck as a steel!

Holy Cow!! I'm updating my list of instruments for insurance (so if they are swiped out of my house, car or on travel I'm reimbursed). I found out that the P-bass, which I bought used in 1972 for $250, is worth $6000 or more! That's what happens after time, I guess.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2008 :  06:48:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by slipry1

[quote]Originally posted by slipry1

Holy Cow!! I'm updating my list of instruments for insurance (so if they are swiped out of my house, car or on travel I'm reimbursed). I found out that the P-bass, which I bought used in 1972 for $250, is worth $6000 or more! That's what happens after time, I guess.

Oh, yeah...hey, Keaka - wasn't that the one you offered to give me for my recent birthday? I'd be happy to pick it up anytime now (then you would have less insurance paperwork).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000