Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Keola's F (CFCGAF)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2008 :  7:18:05 PM  Show Profile
Can anyone tell me where I can locate some chord charts for Keola's F? (CFCGAF)

I've been playing only Taro Patch for the last, uh, decade? I want to try some stuff in F and CFCGAF seems pretty good for accomodating the melody.

Mahalo nui.

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2008 :  02:30:05 AM  Show Profile
Hi Raymond
You could download the tuning applet in he "learn" section. It will show chords.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Bill Campbell
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  4:38:59 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by RJS

Can anyone tell me where I can locate some chord charts for Keola's F? (CFCGAF)

I've been playing only Taro Patch for the last, uh, decade? I want to try some stuff in F and CFCGAF seems pretty good for accomodating the melody.

Mahalo nui.

Wouldn't this be just a standard F9 chord, where the G would be added to the basic 1-3-5 chord of F-A-C? I am sure that you can work this out, Raymond.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  8:46:50 PM  Show Profile
Bill
I'm looking to save some work and get sore more extensive charts for the tuning, beyond the simple id of the open F9.
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  06:58:17 AM  Show Profile
So I just realized that this was one of Keola's F tunings...

Live, he keeps two guitars:
One in Keola's C, and the other I had identified as an F tuning.
And because many of his transciptions in books ( and on-line offerings), use F-Wahine.
Till now, I assumed that this F-Wahine was probably his default stage tuning was for F tuning.

His on-line tune, "Mele Kakakiaka" is in F Wahine...but I now see the notes identifies this 'Leornard's F"...and that is the one I've seen most often in his books, when in F.

Which tuning is most likely when I see him live?

Or perhaps everyone but myself is at camp!?
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2008 :  09:28:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Hi -

Sorry, I am setting up for the Aloha Camp & missed this post.

I did a chord chart for one of the F tunings KB uses-- you can download a PDF from the Learn-Tunings section right here on Taropatch.net.

It isn't C-F-C-G-A-F, tho'. That one is pretty unusual, but very easy to figure out once you've messed around with the one I charted out.

On stage, Keola generally keeps one guitar in his C tuning (C-G-C-G-B-E) and one in his F Wahine tuning (C-F-C-G-C-E). At least as a starting point...

If you play around with these two tunings, you will find that they are essentially the same-- melodies, double stops and chords from one tuning can easily be transposed to the other.

Have fun.

Edited by - Mark on 06/21/2008 09:29:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

vscotth
Aloha

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2008 :  8:59:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit vscotth's Homepage
Hi Raymond,

I recently finished a manual of tunings for George Kahumoku's workshop on Maui last week. You can access a copy of Keola's F tuning chord chart at this link:
www.imtcorp.com/chord_kumu/f_keola.pdf

Let me know if you have an interest in any other tunings.

Cheers,

Scott
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2008 :  08:58:16 AM  Show Profile
Super,
Mahalo nui
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

sbar15
Lokahi

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2008 :  07:19:46 AM  Show Profile
here is a great program it is on sale for 19.99 and has slack key tunings I find it very helpful in my playing

http://www.virtual-fretboard.com/index.html

Steve
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  12:11:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
The two tunings, C tuning and F wahine (aka keola's C and leonard's F), are similar - they're almost like chords shifted over one string. and, the C tuning uses ukulele chord shapes. if you play GCEA tuning of a uke, you play in what you think is F (it's really C) and you have the tonic on the sixth string and the fifth on the fifth string. or, you can play in what you think is C (it's really G) and have the tonic on the fifth string and the fourth on the sixth sting.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  5:04:53 PM  Show Profile
that is assuming you play the ukulele, which I don't
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  5:34:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
No, it's true even if you don't play `ukulele.... ^_^

Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  6:52:22 PM  Show Profile
Keith,
To drop the sarcasm. Thank you for your posts but 1) I don't know the GCEA tuning (although I guess I could pick up a uke book) and 2) the tuning I'm trying to learn is not the F Wahine tuning. On the taropatch site CFCGAF was labeled as Keola's F, but in correspondance after I posted the above quiery, Keola informed me that the Keola's F is really the F Wahine. CFCGAE Nonetheless, I'm intrigued by the F9 and that's what I'm pursuing. Scott's chart is very helpful and the program Steve linked is quite spiffy. With the combination of those two, I'm starting to get oriented in the F9 tuning.
Go to Top of Page

Mark E
Lokahi

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  7:35:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark E's Homepage
Does this help?

http://www.gootar.com/folder/guitar.html

Mark E
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2008 :  09:48:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
ray,

i was building on mark's comment - sorry to upset you. i find the ties between Keola's C and Leonard's F (at least, that's what Keola called C-F-C-G-A-E last week) is fun to explore. it's like the relationship between the D tuning D-A-D-F#-A-D and taropatch.

if you know standard tuning, the chord shapes are the same as `uke - they're really easy to learn, even if the names can confuse.

aloha,
keith

Go to Top of Page

Allen M Cary
Lokahi

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  5:51:29 PM  Show Profile
Just a little point--Leonard's F is CFCGCE, not ...GAE. It does play like the Keola's C shifted down (up?) to the top three strings (ie, same intervals as DGB).
aloha,
Allen
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000