Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Fire in Santa Cruz/KAPU back on air
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  3:11:21 PM  Show Profile
All,

Getting more info now. We have another major wildlands fire here in Santa Cruz County. Many of us are familiar with our Ohana at KAPU radio in Watsonville. The area of the station (on Trabing road) has been hit hardest of all.
The fire is only 4 hours old, so someone out here may have some more information shortly.

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  5:54:53 PM  Show Profile
Oh nooooooo...I just visited with Jeff & Morgan at the Hokus on Tuesday night, and they were heading to Maui with their daughters for more vacation time here in the islands.

The images on KNTV's site, are just horrible:
http://www.nbc11.com/index.html

This is terrible news...these fires are less than one mile from the place we called home for 20 years. Please keep us posted!

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2008 :  12:00:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
This is just terrible news. Please keep us updated and informed about any news.

Alana :)

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2008 :  04:45:11 AM  Show Profile
It's pretty bad out there. As of Sat. morning CalFire is reporting 50% contained. 30 confirmed homes lost, numerous outbuildings. The best local coverage is from the local paper.
They have some slideshows of the fire.
*some of them are unedited and show some very tight scenes with regard to peoples pets. Discretion is advised.

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com

Go to Top of Page

bubba
Akahai

72 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2008 :  05:17:23 AM  Show Profile
The station itself is located near "downtown" Watsonville and is not in the immediate vicinty of the fire, and thus is not damaged. More importantly Jeff and Morgan's home is located in the immediate fire location but the wonderful preliminary news is that it seemingly hasn't been damaged, but the fire reportedly got very close. The station's antenna is locted on Jeff & Morgan's property and its status is unknown. The station is off the air but that might be because much of the electricity has been shut off in the general area. We are keeping our fingers crossed. The fire is now 95% contained.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2008 :  05:18:32 AM  Show Profile
I made the mistake of looking at the Sentinel's online edition before seeing your words of caution...not for viewing by pet-lovers. :'(

Do you have any news of KAPU's situation yet?

Auntie Maria
===================
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2008 :  08:13:51 AM  Show Profile
All of the members of the KAPU `Ohana were holding our breath and hoping and praying for the best. We are all so glad that their house has been spared. Hopefully when the power to the area gets turned on, the station will come back on the air.

Our thoughts go out to those that were not as fortunate. Many houses were lost along with many animals. It is a very sad scene.

Hug a fireman today. That includes "That Cute Ocean Kaowili". They did an awesome job under very difficult conditions. They are truly heroes. If you can imagine trying to fight a fire in a full nomex body suit with the temperature near 100 degrees at 15% humidity.....well, it's just amazing.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

KAPU-lp104.7FM
Aloha

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2008 :  08:43:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit KAPU-lp104.7FM's Homepage
ALOHA FROM WAIKIKI !!

We (Jeff Morgan, Makai,and Kalae are all thankfull)

Our house is still standing. Three llamas,our dog,our pig,
are all rescued.

The station will be back up on air as soon as we find out
if the transmitter is all good.
No power or phone at the site. Our crew is trying to get in ASAP.

If you watchttp://www.ktvu.com/video/16671692/index.html
h this video, you can see our Llama get pulled from the fire!! Wow!!!

Till We Meet AGAIN,
Jeff Kost
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2008 :  10:35:07 AM  Show Profile
Jeff and all.....That is fantastic news! I got my original info off of GoogleEarth that shows your station dead center to where the fire was at its worst. A home a few hundred feet away was completely burned. I am very glad to hear you property and animals made it ok.

Mike

Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2008 :  7:05:05 PM  Show Profile
Jeff, I'm so glad that everything is okay for you.

Has that sunburned face of yours, healed yet??

Hugs to you and Morgan and those darling daughters!

Auntie Maria
===================

Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2008 :  09:14:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Wow - what a relief to hear that news.
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2008 :  10:02:45 AM  Show Profile
Aloha all,

I'll post the article as there are still many of us on dialup and those links are just another frustrating delay!

Hawaiian radio broadcasts halted by Trabing Fire
KEENAN WEATHERFORD - SENTINEL CORRESPONDENT
Article Launched: 06/25/2008 01:32:44 AM PDT

APTOS -- Hawaiian music lovers across the county had their listening schedules thrown off by last week's Trabing Fire.

The blaze, which scorched 640 acres, also knocked out power in the Larkin Valley area, which temporarily halted broadcasts by KAPU, the all-Hawaiian music radio station that has a broadcast antenna on Trabing Road.

KAPU hasn't broadcast its trademark island tunes since around 3 p.m. Friday, according to Norman Markowitz, a member of the station's board of directors and one of the station's volunteer DJs.

Flames crept up to the base of the antenna and might have damaged it, he said, but the damage can't be assessed until the antenna can be tested after power is restored to the area.

"It all depends on PG&E," said Markowitz, who goes by the handle "Kaukini Norm." "They're working very hard."

Power won't be restored for a few days, said a Cal Fire spokesman.

Meanwhile, the station has been receiving phone calls and e-mails from listeners curious where the music has gone.

Markowitz said listeners yearning for a Hawaiian music fix should check out the station online at www.kapu.org, which has recordings of several interviews with Hawaiian artists as well as links to local bands and music samples.

The station, which transmits at 104.7 FM, began operation in September 2004 as a low-power station; it uses a

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
52-watt antenna, which allows coverage from the edges of Santa Cruz to Watsonville. A link on the station's Web site encourages viewers to write letters to the Federal Communications Commission requesting that KAPU be licensed for 100-200 watts, which would increase coverage to most of Santa Cruz County and hopefully swell the ranks of listeners, now estimated at roughly 5,000, according to Markowitz.

There is a strong interest in Hawaiian music and culture in the Santa Cruz area, Markowitz said. Local musicians who play Hawaiian music often visit the radio station, located in Watsonville, to perform live on the air.

"We're one of the hubs of groups of people that love all things Hawaiian," he said. "It's an important part of the Hawaiian community in Santa Cruz."

Contact Keenan Weatherford at 706-3254 or jcopeland @ santacruzsentinel.com.

Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2008 :  07:11:08 AM  Show Profile
So how about changing the title.....
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2008 :  1:14:37 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Pua Kai

Yes the title needs to be amended, at least.

I'm happy to report that the station is back on the air, as of about 12:45 pm today. Power was restored to the antenna and we are up and running again.

KAPU, once lost, has now been found.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2008 :  2:55:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Pua Kai

Done.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

KAPU-lp104.7FM
Aloha

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2008 :  8:35:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit KAPU-lp104.7FM's Homepage
Aloha All,

Thanks for da care!!

Maui is warm and fuzzy right now.

We'll be back home to the cold soon.

Please stop by the station if/when you can.
Your all welcome.

Anybody need something from Maui ???
Where's the Hawaiian gigs here anyway ???

Good ting we have KPOA on the dial here.

Norm,....Give our love to all.

WE ARE..........,
KAPU-lp 104.7 FM
"less talk, NO ROCK"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000