Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Rubbah Slippahs - say it ain't so
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  07:54:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
To Flip or to Flop?

Myth or something really to worry about?

Andy

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  08:12:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Right. A reporter wearing high heels leads a story on foot injuries from sandals? (Look closely at the opening.)

However, I'll go with the science... up to a point. If you are used to shoes, you might just struggle to keep the slippers on your feet.

Those of us who grew up barefoot and wore 'em only when we had to probably don't do the funny walk.

I'll leave it to someone else to parse the podiatrist's statement that appears to say walking barefoot is harmful.

OK. Time to query the 'patch. What did/do you call 'em?

When I was a kid we said "Go-Aheads," while some of my friends' moms called 'em "zorries."

Edited by - Mark on 06/06/2008 08:13:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  08:49:13 AM  Show Profile
rubbah slippahs/bare foot all my life. i used to go school in shoes, den take um off once i was dea. made my feet sweaty, i neva like dat.
i tink my feet's good still yet :-)

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  09:14:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
Next ting dey goin say plate lunch and beah no good fo you

Lee
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  09:20:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by kihoalukid

Next ting dey goin say plate lunch and beah no good fo you

LOL!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  09:24:41 AM  Show Profile
When I was a kid in W. Va., we mostly went barefoot. The trouble I had with slippahs back then is that I would get abrasions between my big toe and second toe where the thong part of the slippa goes. I remember the straps coming out of the holes sometimes when we were running or something like that, and we had to poke the thong back in. Or if the wider nubby thing that held the thong from coming out of the hole ripped, we would safety pin it in place. Or used electrical tapee or maybe it was some other vinyl kind of tape.

Still to this day, the minute I get home, off come the shoes. I do not even like to wear socks at home, either. Naked feet for me. We did wear slippahs in small kid time, primarily because they were the cheapest shoes available. And when I was pregnant, they were a boon because my feet swelled so huge that no other shoes would fit.

Nowadays, though, I cannot wear slippas. I cannot even hardly wear any kind of sandals or shoes with a heel higher than about 1". I have developed peripheral neuropathy in my feet from long term diabetes. I do not have much feeling at all in my feet. I cannot wear slip on shoes, slippahs or any kind of backless shoes because I cannot feel enough to make my feet grip the shoe. I also have drop foot on the right side and that makes me "march" with that leg. It does not clear the ground when I step, so I have to eggagerate my gait, and many times they call it "steppage" gait, almost like a horse prancing. Ye-ha!

Now, I live in my New Balance walking shoes. I buy the same style over and over, every time I need new. They cushion and support and give strength to my ankles. Cannot go barefoot outside, because I wouldn't even know if I stepped on a pop top or blew out my flip flop. I even have to be careful trimming my toenails, on account of loss of sensation.

Several times, I have cut my toes. Them buggahs bleed and bleed. A styptic pencil works great for that.

And don't forget last summer's slippah whoo-de-do about contact dermatitis on slippahs from China.

Once again, I guess the gist of it is all things in moderation.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hapuna
Lokahi

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  10:23:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapuna's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Mark

Right. A reporter wearing high heels leads a story on foot injuries from sandals? (Look closely at the opening.)

However, I'll go with the science... up to a point. If you are used to shoes, you might just struggle to keep the slippers on your feet.

Those of us who grew up barefoot and wore 'em only when we had to probably don't do the funny walk.

I'll leave it to someone else to parse the podiatrist's statement that appears to say walking barefoot is harmful.

When I was a kid we said "Go-Aheads," while some of my friends' moms called 'em "zorries."

Go aheads??? Hah. Where are you from. The term in common use was "slippas" but most knew that zoris was the japanese word for them. Used slippas for formal wear but played basketball on the paved(like a street) basketball courts with da metal hoops, in barefeet cause everyone knows you can't run fast enough in slippas! After the full foot bloodblister heals you get nice tough feet! Don't get me started on street baseball and sliding!

hapuna
Seattle
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  12:21:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
Go aheads??? Hah. Where are you from.

I was raised in Newport Beach, California till 1968, when I went away to college and never looked back. I have no idea where "Go Aheads" came from, but that's what we called 'em in the 50s. I didn't say it wasn't weird.

I heard zorries (yes, I know it's Japanese) and flip flops once in a while when I was a kid. But I've only heard them called "Slippahs" in Hawaii -- or by people who have spent a lot of time in Hawaii.

Which is why I posted the question about what other people called them. I'd bet very few of the mainland folks on Taropatch called them slippahs until pretty recently. And you never see them sold under that name on the mainland.

So Wanda, back in "small kid time," when you were blistering your toes (ouch!) what did you call them?

Yeah, running is an issue. So is climbing around rocks at the beach. Jumping between the big rocks at the jetty next to the Wedge was really fun...

Edited by - Mark on 06/06/2008 12:22:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

braddah jay
Lokahi

235 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  12:29:27 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hapuna
injuries from sandals? (Look closely at the opening.)

Used slippas for formal wear but played basketball on the paved(like a street) basketball courts with da metal hoops, in barefeet cause everyone knows you can't run fast enough in slippas! After the full foot bloodblister heals you get nice tough feet! Don't get me started on street baseball and sliding!

Hapuna what you talking about?you must get hobbit feet. Shee us guys we chance em wit da rubbah slippa,only ting by da time da game pau, down to one slippah.Da best was da kokeshi slippah,had serpentine s on da band,rubbah was solid too.No can find anymore.Anyway aloha

Edited by - braddah jay on 06/06/2008 12:32:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  12:56:18 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by braddah jay

Shee us guys we chance em wit da rubbah slippa,only ting by da time da game pau, down to one slippah.
Braddah Jay, you guys had panty feets daswhy. Us Kuliouou guys had rugged feets playing barefoot ontop da hot macadam pavement dat had black tar dat was all melted from being in da hot sun. We had to hop ontop da grass between plays fo cool off da feets bumbai get blistahs. Our rubbah slippahs we used for marking da end zones.

Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  1:26:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:

Time to query the 'patch. What did/do you call 'em?

In the Midwest, we called 'em "thongs." Obviously, that term has been adopted for something else that wouldn't work so well as a foot covering.
Go to Top of Page

hapuna
Lokahi

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  1:45:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapuna's Homepage
[quote]Originally posted by guavasunrise

[quote][i] Us Kuliouou guys had rugged feets playing barefoot ontop da hot macadam pavement dat had black tar dat was all melted from being in da hot sun.
[/quote/]
I was going to call it macadam but wasn't sure it was commonly used in da mainland.
Plus don't you hate it when da fat rubbah part pulls thru da slippah and no can get back in!!!!

hapuna
Seattle
Go to Top of Page

salmonella
Lokahi

240 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  3:17:16 PM  Show Profile
quote:

In Redondo (not too far from where Mark grew up for those of you not familiar with So Calif) what we called them all depended on what they were made of.
The rubber ones from White Front (the equivalent of today's Kmart)we called "thongs". Obviously I do not call them that any more.

The ones that were made of (or looked like) woven bamboo we called "Zories", which I believe is the correct name for them.

There were some that were more substantial and made of old tires... these we called "Treads" (Keds were popular shoes then).

"go aheads" was a generic name for any kind of sandle like shoe, even ones without the "thong" between the toes. I think it came from the generation before us and ended with our generation.

We wore them for the first three weeks of summer until the soles of our feet could take the blacktop on the way to the beach.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  3:24:44 PM  Show Profile
Duke & Hapuna, that is what the safety pin is for -- a big one like a diaper pin, but not with the little duckies on them, because then everyone would make fun of you. Sometimes you had to make a slit coming from the hole that the straps went into in order to fit the nubby thing back in the hole. We did all kind of stuff to keep the slippers going, even though they cost only about 99 cens. I just noticed my computer does not have a cents sign. Does nobody have cents anymore. It was hard to play kick ball in slippahs (which we actually called flip-flops). You have to kick the ball with the side of your foot. Then after you wear the slippers for a while, the bottom gets all slick and when it rains, you will fall on your okole, slipping and sliding. And if the dog chews the rubbah of the slippahs, the dog going to throw up and then ma will yell at you as if you fed the slipper to the dog or something. Sheesh. Now you even see women wearing slippahs to the office! My opinion is that slippahs beat high heels any day.

What about them funny shoes Molto Mario Batali wears.

By the way you Seattle folks, Mario's dad's salumi is most excellent. We have one Italian restaurant here in town that features Batali's salume, ho da ono.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  4:07:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

What about them funny shoes Molto Mario Batali wears.
Orange Crocs.
quote:
By the way you Seattle folks, Mario's dad's salumi is most excellent. We have one Italian restaurant here in town that features Batali's salume, ho da ono.
Oh, good. Do they offer different varieties? We can get all of 'em directly from his shop at the south edge of downtown, but there are a couple deli-sections in grocery stores that have some of them. I'm a huge fan of his mole variety.

(That's "moe-lay," Ed - it's not made from the little under-your-lawn rodent. Just trying to head off a potential comment. I'm sure it won't succeed. )
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  4:11:23 PM  Show Profile
remembah trying fo find one small stick fo make da slippah strap stay inside da puka? we wen make um last at least couple mo days dat way. den nex time we was at home, we wen go hemo somebody else's ones. ha ha ha.

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000