Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Nose flute
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  3:30:34 PM  Show Profile
Is anyone aware of any tutorials, books or other types of instruction on how to play nose flute? I got one for each of Paul's twin nephews when we went O`ahu, but we cannot figure out how for the boys to play. We cannot experiment with them, only the boys can, because who wants other people blowing....well, you get my drift. I found a couple of things on You Tube, but nothing really that provides actual instruction.

Mahalo for any kokua.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  01:05:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Hmm. Maybe could you contact Keola Beamer and ask him for some advice? I think he plays.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  03:11:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
there's web pages that give hints - google `ohe hano ihu how play. i taught myself hano after getting a short lesson from the builder.

to play it you need to practice to acquire both skill and diaphragm strength. you don't need to blow hard, but it takes a good stream of air. some hano are much harder to play than others, although skilled players can play almost anything.

i let others play my hano. to play it, you don't mash your nostril into the hole and blow hanabata (although that might make a warbly effect that could be enticing to some.. ^_^ ) you're nostril is fairly distant from the sound hole. it's more sanitary than a western flute...

keola does play hano quite well; it's a beautiful instrument. keola once said that it's an instrument men use to entice women because you play it with your nose: people lie with their mouth, but only breathe through their nose.

aloha no,
keith

Edited by - marzullo on 07/09/2008 03:14:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  1:52:55 PM  Show Profile
We made (well, finished) `ohe hano ihu at Aloha Music Camp several years ago with Toki Noguchi and Liko Puha. I seem to recall them saying that you shouldn't let anyone else play your flute. The way Toki taught it was the old style, using your left thumb to stop the left nostril, and blowing always with the right nostril. The wikipedia page for nose flute has a jpg of a Fijian girl playing this way. It is not terribly difficult to play once you find the correct angle at which to hold it up against your philtrum (at least mine is) - just hold it up to your nostril and blow gently while manipulating the flute sideways, up/down and back and forth until you hear it making sound. Then remember how you are holding it for next time
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  04:45:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi debbie! i missed that class, aue...

there may be a cultural issue about letting others play your nose flute. what i know is from a maker on maui. the approach he explained for choosing and protecting the bamboo was fascinating. in any case, he let people try his flutes.

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  05:11:19 AM  Show Profile
Do you blow overtop the hole like a regular flute? The boys' mother is a floutist, so I am sure she could instruct them on that part of it. I take it, also, that stopping one nostril gives greater air pressure out of the other one?

Keith & Debbie - thanks for your help. When I used the Hawaiian name of it as Keith suggested, then I found more resources. When I used "nose flute" to do the search, I got all kinds, not only Hawaiian kine. Although we do like R. Carlos Nakai, it is just not quite the same. Our youngest daughter saw him at a Native American Pow-wow here in Cleveland quite some years ago and she was enthralled by his music at a tender age. She still uses his music to fall asleep when she has trouble sleeping or when she just wants calming music.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  09:44:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
wanda,

it doesn't have to be as overtop as you might think - as debbie says, experimentation is a great guide.

- here's a player who rotates the hano: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1176/1389994922_8e40857dd8.jpg?v=0
- here's a young keola playing: the finger holes are in line with the sound hole, and so you can see he's not rotating it as much: http://images.wikia.com/muppet/images/d/df/1092-17a.jpg
- this is from the bishop museum, circa 1900: the hula dancer is looking a bit bored ^_^ - again, he's not rotated it that much. http://www.spiritofaloha.com/images/images_0104/noseflute.jpg

aloha
keith

Go to Top of Page

Baritone
Lokahi

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2008 :  8:55:27 PM  Show Profile
I learned from Keola Beamer, using his grandfather's flute. By the way, before using that flute I rinsed the flute with ocean water in a solemn, prayerful manner so as not to offend the flute or its mana.

Try his style. Note in the "jpg", that his technique is to SLOWLY exhale, directing his breath stream directly over/onto the flute soundhole. The ambient air mass surrounding the flute must be rather still, i.e. NOT a windy day.

Herb
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2008 :  07:27:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Baritone

By the way, before using that flute I rinsed the flute with ocean water in a solemn, prayerful manner so as not to offend the flute or its mana.
Interesting to note that - thanks, Herb. I was once taught to share breath with an ipu before chanting, if I was borrowing someone else's, so that the ipu would "recognize" my voice. Does that (or a variation thereof) sound familiar to anyone?
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2008 :  09:35:57 AM  Show Profile
Everything has a spirit of sorts. You leave apart of yourself with everything you come in contact with. The hā is a very important thing the breath of life so to speak. Hā is part the the word aloha.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

Baritone
Lokahi

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2008 :  7:03:54 PM  Show Profile
Yes, Retro, I recognize your phrasing. The ipu would recognize your "voice". Masaru Emoto in "The Hidden Messages in Water" showed how one's voice affected ice crystal formation. Angry voice/sound/music; contorted crystal. Soothing voice/sound/music; beautiful crystal. Same with human vibes, ipu, guitars "breaking out", etc. I believe the nose flute takes on the demeanor of its owner so that when another uses it its demeanor changes, ever so slightly. Always be with pono in whatever you do or say, in other words.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000