Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Rubbah Slippahs - say it ain't so
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  5:42:41 PM  Show Profile
When I grew up in California in the 60's, we called em flip flops or more formally, zoris. Slippah and rubbah slippah didn't come until I moved to Hawai'i in the 70's.

Here in Michigan they call them sandals, rubber sandals, and rarely, flip flops. Not that they have much use for them...
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  6:54:12 PM  Show Profile
I grew up callin' 'em slippahs or kamaboko slippahs (Kepanee household, aftah all). I've worn zori (with kimono) and I've worn slippahs (wit evryting else), and lemme tell you, da slippah moa comfortable.

Dey call 'em "flipflops" in Seattle.
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  05:53:59 AM  Show Profile
Like Hapuna, I grew up running around mostly barefoot and used slippahs whenever we went out. Besides using da slippahs for marking limits of a court, dey also made good base markers too. And we did call them "slippahs"......maybe because the best ones came from the "Slipper House" which is still a very popular place to buy good slippahs in Ala Moana Shopping Center.

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  06:05:22 AM  Show Profile
And not that I was a naughty girl getting in trouble, but my Ma would use flip flops for give dirty lickins. Oooh, dat sting! I think it was better than cutting a switch. Ouch!

Was it Duke or was it Jay? When we went Chai's to see Makaha Sons, I think it was Jay who said dressed up if wear sneakers instead of slippahs.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  07:18:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Momi

Dey call 'em "flipflops" in Seattle.
Get one "infamous" band by that name in Seattle, too...
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  08:50:18 AM  Show Profile
In Florida as a kid, we called them Flip-Flops, but I mostly went barefoot (in spite of getting cut-feet and ring worm from time to time).

Could not afford no Flip-Flops, they wore out too fast!

One pair of shoes for School and Church, that's it!

And did I mention that sometimes I did not have any shoes at all, and had to just wear socks to school? Also had to walk 15 miles up a steep hill both ways to school and back in three feet of snow with barbed wire wrapped around my socks for traction.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

hapuna
Lokahi

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  11:40:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapuna's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence

And did I mention that sometimes I did not have any shoes at all, and had to just wear socks to school?

So just imagine my shock when I chose to go to a private school and had to wear shoes and socks every day!!! Eh they neva tell me dat when I wen apply. That was a real pain!!!!

hapuna
Seattle
Go to Top of Page

braddah jay
Lokahi

235 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  4:40:09 PM  Show Profile
Eh too bad we nevah know auntie pupule,da slippa lady.Can tell you're financial status by da color of da slippa,2-tone(thong strap different color) 3-tone,lilly bit shame,4-tone,braddah you no mo shame. Had one buggah use to go shop at kukui gardens,walk up to da porch,leave his bussup slippa while taking there's.I still laugh tinking about da look must of been on dea face wen dey see dis ugly bussup pair slippa instead of deas. Aloha
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  4:43:24 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence

.....And did I mention that sometimes I did not have any shoes at all, and had to just wear socks to school? Also had to walk 15 miles up a steep hill both ways to school and back in three feet of snow......
That's exactly what my grandpa used to try to tell us! Except he never had socks to wear!

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  9:37:10 PM  Show Profile
So while living on a tropical island as a youngster, I refused to wear shoes or "sloffen". Would regularly go out into the rice paddies to chase frogs and run away from poisonous snakes with no footwear whatsoever. OOOO, my Mama would beat me to within an inch of my life with bamboo strips bound together to look like a broom. Used to have lots of scars on my legs.

But now I do wear slippas. Except in the house. Really, I was born barefooted!!! It is natural for me...

Julie

Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  05:19:58 AM  Show Profile
I'm not Hawaiian -- but my Mexican-Scot mother wanted our hardwood floors to remain scuff/dent-free, so everyone was required to remove their shoes upon entering our California house. Small kid time, I'd forget to put shoes on when running out the door -- and she'd yell at me, every time. Guess my feet were meant to go barefoot...

Then my dad came back from Hawai`i (early 1950's) with a pair of pink (!!) go-aheads for me. Why that name, you ask? Because you couldn't run backwards in them!!

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

hapuna
Lokahi

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  05:45:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapuna's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Maria

Then my dad came back from Hawai`i (early 1950's) with a pair of pink (!!) go-aheads for me. Why that name, you ask? Because you couldn't run backwards in them!!

Aunty, as anyone from Hawaii will tell you, you can do anything in sippahs. Yes it takes good technique but running backwards is doable.
The worst thing about sippahs is when someone steps on da back of um and you blow out of them.

hapuna
Seattle
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  08:35:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by hapuna

Yes it takes good technique but running backwards is doable.

I learned about "technique" the hard way last year. I was wearing some while bringing large (on wheels) recycling bins into our building's garage - backwards - uphill - when one slipped off my foot, and said foot went under the bin's wheels.

Got me one broken toe outta that experience.
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  08:55:11 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

Dass what us rubbah slippah kama'ainas call da malihini learning curve.

Go to Top of Page

hapuna
Lokahi

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  09:27:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapuna's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

[quote]I learned about "technique" the hard way last year. I was wearing some while bringing large (on wheels) recycling bins into our building's garage - backwards - uphill - when one slipped off my foot, and said foot went under the bin's wheels.

Everybody knows you gotta use da steel toe rubbah slippah for industrial jobs!!!

hapuna
Seattle

Edited by - hapuna on 06/08/2008 09:28:17 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000