Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Rubbah Slippahs - say it ain't so
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  10:11:12 AM  Show Profile
I wonder how OSHA deals with that in Hawai`i?

I just got back from the craft store. All the craft stores around here are selling slippahs about 2/$3.00 and then selling stuff with which to "embellish" the slippahs, like "jewels", flowers, maribou, little foam rubber cut outs like pink flamingos and hibiscus, etc. Even got lace and strings of pearls and all kind of other stuff. Even have men ones in mostly black or brown and shells or wooden beads and such to glue on for the manly man in your life. You can be very creative. Slippahs cheap. Embellishments, not. But it oes satisfy that creative urge.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 06/08/2008 10:12:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  10:22:06 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Even have men ones in mostly black or brown and shells or wooden beads and such to glue on for the manly man in your life.
Married, domesticated men wear rubbah slippahs with shells or wooden beads glued on by their wives.

Manly men go barefoot and come back dragging one carcass home to pulehu for dinnah.

Me, I wear Crocs and eat spam and rice.

Go to Top of Page

braddah jay
Lokahi

235 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  12:04:16 PM  Show Profile
Braddah ed no was me,I went da multi colored route,but I gotta admit,I no tink dat buggah evah did buy one pair slippa.Dat was back in da angel flight days with da reverse print aloha shirts.Also used to wear levis corduroy pants with surfah shorts fo bebs.Now kakio shorts with or without t-shirt,good enough fo me.Main ting da guitar stay tuned.Aloha
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  1:47:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by guavasunrise

Dass what us rubbah slippah kama'ainas call da malihini learning curve.
I think that describes the shape of my toe now - one "curve."
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  2:48:04 PM  Show Profile
Small kid time in WA state, we called'em thongs or zories. We all wore'm. Also we wore "Toyo" caps. Sort of like a ballcap (or a "gimme cap") without the logo and with a little pocket above the bill. My Dad went into mourning when they were no longer available.
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  3:56:04 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, used to get anykine in my days. Used to have all rubber rectangle shape but with tatami pattern and was called zorries. Then came the soft weird shape kine like they have today. Was made of some kinda strange foam with a weird smell. we used to get leather kine with cross strap we wor with our big bottoms foa look cool. And then the tatami kine with the velvet straps dose was da bes. Dey was rectangle shape too look like samurai kine slippah. And who can foget Kamboko slippahs?

Even if had all kine thats all we wore excep in skool cause had rules. No slippahs allowed unless you get soa feet. If only one feet soa you gotta wea shue on da oddah feet. Nobody wen get soa anko or stuff li dat. I tink pepo don no how foa walk. As for running I know i would sacrifice my slippahs oddah wise da cop goin catch me. Too slow foa run wit da slippah so hemo them buggahs. You jus run right out of um. Two steps and you gone. Da cop no can catch you.

I tink pepo up hea just no moa experience foa wea da kine slippahs. I watch dem curl up dea toes foa hol um on. No need make li dat jus drag da heel. Da friction keep um on da feets real easy kine. So if da leg come itai its not da slippah its da wearer.
Oh yeah new ones uesd to make blister between the beeg an secon toe but after da slippah break in pau da soa.

Wow guava. easy foa feex dat kine, one Kepani lady, my frens moddah wen teach me how. You wrap one string around da stem wea da nub stay an put da strinf insai da puka an pull um tru. if da nub stay broke use one small kine nail tru da stem foa make one T shape so da ting no pull out of da puka.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.

Edited by - noeau on 06/08/2008 4:09:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Baritone
Lokahi

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  7:13:31 PM  Show Profile
So..... I live Hilo, coz Papa's ahupuaa.. But was in da fifties us siblings (whew!) go my madda's side family in Kailua Kona, summa time, fo "Hawaiiana immersion". Fo Sunday church, da attire of choice was obaki kine, mo-large-den-big, Aloha shirt wit khaki pants (go to da ank'cho length) wit DA GREEN RUBBA SLIPPAHs... jus like da kine Al stay talk bout. Had black sole with dis'stink'tive (how you spell no maddah as long as you can say em, Ed) tread. Yeah, no, Al? Da part you put your feet on top get da tatami pattern. Tell you what: could walk all ova da bouganvilla t'orns and da wana needles and da lava rocks AND no poke-poke da feet. Bettah yet: coud paddle da Sears and Schwinn bikes, like, go-fo-broke, coz the rubber was jus da correct width fo stay on the feet and "surround" da paddles (coz we had da tipa'coh luau feet). Was da all around "shoe". But, da buggahs would sink when you thro em in the ocean. Us guyz smart, doh, coz we use em fo hand paddles. Specially wen we go paddle canoe witout paddles....use da rubbah splippahs, Brah! Bettah yet: when we go spear fish outside Kapoho or Milolii or any kine rough-water place we tie da green rubbah slippah on the fish-line float so dat wen pau poke-fish we body surf da slippah-on-da-hands technique so can "attack" the cliff den make-like-one-opihi and pa'a da rock with the slippah-on-da-hands technique, followed by the instant "spin-around-n-plant-da-papakole" on the rocks before the wave wipe us off da rock-cliff face. Then, quickly slip em on da feets and run liddle bit befoa da next wave came! Gimme two pair ruggah slippahs (two for the hands and two for the feets) and us run like goats up the rocks! Bettah, no need rubbah boots fo go feed da pigs or hana kalo or catch ducks fo go sell to da stowah! What'evas! Bad ting, tho, no could go wear my Green Rubbah Slippah to Cat'toe'lic scool; bad, coz my feet too, too beeg fo try go-get shoes...

Tell you, Uncho Braddha Al, no can beat "Green Rubbah Slippah" days! Wuz good fun till technology wen "upgrade" da slippahs.

Aloha! Herb
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  7:50:16 PM  Show Profile
Eh you guys us went hijak da tread I tink. Hu ka plenny kine use foa dem rubbah slippahs. As da ones bruddah herb! But down Chinatown by da River across A'ala paka as wea i stay summah time. Wehad blue or green kine foa chuze. But I remembah da body surf wit da slippah too. And da tin roof boat eh Guava. Ony we call um totung or sumpting li'dat. Da news clip really no know da whole story yeah? We been weah da kine slippah for ovah 60 yeahs awreddy and our tutu dem was wearing um befo us. As why Hahd! In Hawai'i das not even news.

Go to Top of Page

Baritone
Lokahi

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  01:43:11 AM  Show Profile
YEEIIIAAAAHH! Especially da tin, corrugated #16(?) I wen fo'get da gauge size but was the tick, plantation kine. Da kine befo da 57 and 48 Tsunami, witch wen hemo the roofs. Dees buggahs was da tic kine. Used to nail the front and back ends to da 2X4's and pitch with the tar we wen scrape off da telepone pole. Den, put da tar inside the 1 gallon enamel paint can fo heat up so can pour into the front and back "bulkheads". Good fun had, no, Al & Ed?!? Den, pu'duum ("ow'waa", which means "Our Canoe" to da novitiate of pidgin)inside da canal for race down stream (we no use em inside the flue cos hard hapai em up da ladda, ly dat). Fo make mo good fun, we manufac'cha da kine "O'opu Spear Gun". You guyz stay follo'ng me, hea!?! We wen go get small bamboo for the "barrel", wood clothes pin; rubbah bands (aihui from school) fo rap da barrel and clothes pin on one 1"X2" stick; use rubbah band fo da sling and clothes hangar (rubb em on da sidewalk fo make da point, ly dat) from da laundry shop. Den, we go poke O'opu fo sell to the retired, sugar-cane, Filipino workers who was squatting on Bishop Estate land in da bamboo forest. Sometime poke mullet and papio we trap in da set-net we place across da canal befo we do the canoe race and poke O'opu. Eh! And, da opai! Chase em down stream into da net. Samoan crabs unda da rocks. Man, was good fun in da canal. Tell you wat: us Pakei's and da Filipino guyz wen KNOW how fo live on "Da Canal".
Herb

You like know wat!? DASS HOW I WEN LEARN UKULELE. Swap da O'opu we wen catch fo watch dem guyz press on mandolin, ukulele, sax, guitar, shoot pool, ly dat. Plus, I bring em Presidente Perfecto cigars and liddle bit "Virginia Dare" wine (way, way, way befo "Thunderbird") from ouwa store. Al... Ed... Was gooooood fun "Huckleberry Finn"-like dayz (aka "daze"), no!?!

Herb
Go to Top of Page

Baritone
Lokahi

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  01:50:08 AM  Show Profile
Oh, yeah! Occasionally I would bring rubbah slippahs to the Bamboo forest indie'je'nants. All because of this billboard. Herb
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  06:40:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by guavasunrise

All of a sudden you going be getting contacted by all da chirren you nevah knew you had before.
Why you tink he lef' Hawai`i?

Bruddah Al wuz one bad, bad boy, befo. Mo betta now.
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  3:50:50 PM  Show Profile
Eh try no make? I wish I grew up kua'aina like Herb. Sound like good fun kine style. Me I was city boy China town life sell nupepa shine shoe. Go down da gambling hall ax my godfaddah fo money foa go movies. Used to walk Waikīkī foa go beach. If Waikīkī too fah den Ala Mo close enough. I was a victim of da times. As why I no gambo nowdays I used to lose all my lunch money and go hongry! One time da cops wen bus us in da crap game by Central School. Not much fun I went to one different skool so wen my moddah came pick me up she was hūhū cause I suppose to be in my own skool.

Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  8:00:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
As okay - we get you BOTH up this way now, lucky us.
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  05:44:56 AM  Show Profile
Back in the dark ages, when I was one surfer guy, our favorite slippahs was called "Jap Flaps" (excuse me, Momi). Da kine wid tatmi underfoot and velvet thongs. Still my favorite, but no can find in Seattle.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  05:46:54 AM  Show Profile
If you walk like a duck with your toes pointed way out it doesn't matter what you wear -- it is not good for your feet, then your ankles, then your knees, then the hips, then the back, and so on up.

If you walk with your toes "fore-n-aft" like you were born with, rubba slippas are plenty good to walk around in.

Unfortunately many of us sit in chairs most of the day, our standing/walking muscles get weak and we walk more and more like ducks every day. Then you get foot pain, sprained ankles, knee problems, back pain and on and on. So we sit more and complain more about the pain. It is not the fault of the shoes or the slippahs. Walk like a kid and you will start to feel like a kid.

Me, I have black Crocs for yard work (protect the toes) and hose off before going in the house, rubba slippahs with ukuleles on the straps for fun time, leather slippahs for formal wear ('spensive Scott kine), and hafta wear shoes at work. As a kid I always wore topsiders with no socks since I spent most of my waking hours on sailboats of any kind. Rubba slippahs are too slippery on boats to be any help.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000