Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 So, I Got Scoldings Today
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2008 :  7:25:55 PM  Show Profile
Was in Costco, jes cruizin' around while da wife was stockin' up. Anyway, I come up on this display case...big sign on the display, "HAWAIIAN QUILTS." Bedspreads, pillow covers, tablecloths, napkins, etc.

So I pulled one off the display and looked at the label...MADE IN THE PHILLIPINES. I chuckled and told my wife, "Hon, check dis out...Hawaiian quilts made in da Philippines. Where's da Hawaiian quilts made in Hawai`i?" Out of nowhere, from behind da display dis lady wit one east-european accent an one Costco customer service tag grunts at me and says, "How may I help you?" So, I says, "Where is da Hawaiian quilts made in Hawai`i?" She says, "There aren't any made in Huh-Why-Uh anymore." I says, "Not as cheep as Philippines, but I bet you I can find REAL HAWAIIAN quilts." She huffs, "Well, I am not the buyer." I says, "Why don't your sign say Philippine-Made Hawaiian-Design Quilts? You trying to fool da tourists, eh?" Had two tourist couples standing behind me...I wen tell 'em, "Hawaiian quilts, but made in da Philippines...No let 'em fool you."

Den, da east-european Costco lady says dat, "Sir, you are interfering with my customers." Den, da tourist guy (da one wit ballz) says to da Costco lady, "Ma'am, I think he's (meaning ME's) right. There should be a sign explaining that these things aren't made in Hawaii, but in the Philippines. And the sign should be up front for everyone to see..." Da Costco lady wen stomp off into da back of da store. I waz waiting fo get 86'ed right dere!

But...da point is no use Hawai`i if da stuff not made in Hawai`i. No try fool da peepo. Hoooo, dat wen IRK ME! Waz almos as bad as wen da (funny but his accent was kinda like hers...da Costco lady's) east european sounding guy in one cheep aloha shirt and fake docker pants wen give me one phony "a-low-huh" in Lahaina few weeks ago at one of dem time share boots on Front Street. Brah...no can!

Aloha,
da Poi Dog

Edited by - PoiDog on 06/23/2008 7:44:26 PM

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2008 :  12:11:52 AM  Show Profile
Eh, Poi Dog - when we were O`ahu in May, I went crazy trying to find souvenirs made in Hawai`i, or ones that I could afford. Quilts especially! Everyone I looked at said made in Phillipines except for stuff at Na Mea Hawai`i/Native Hawaiian Books. Everything they have there is Hawaiian made. Soome very fine art, all kinds of ipu, ipu heke, and all other hula implements; drums, clothing such as pa`u, mu`umu`u and holoku, and all the Aloha shirts. There was beautiful jewlry, quilts, all kinds of food stuffs such as jams and jellies and teas and coffees. Every label we looked at said made in Hawai`i. Our twin 18-year old nephews asked for a musical instrument which was the essence of Hawai`i. Could not afford to buy two `ukulele, so we found nose flutes for them at Na Mea Hawai1i. The last day we were there, we went to `Ukulele Pua Pua in Waikiki. They have a nice sofa you can sit on to try out the `ukulele. The sofa was covered with a beautiful Hawaiian quilt with an `ukulele design. I asked if it was Hawaiian-made and the answer was yes. I asked if it was for sale. The lady told me it was from a store right across the way. She turned back one corner of the quilt to show me the price tag. Almost $600. I know there is much tedious and precise work that goes into making the quilts and I would dearly love to have one, but I cannot afford $600 to put on top of my bed. So I came home quiltless. I also wanted a wooden carved wa`a. Could not find any made in Hawai`i -- all were made in the Philippines. Anything made of wood, bowls, trays, etc., all were made in Philippines. Except the koa salad bowl I found, with those kinda "hands" to use to toss the salad. I thought it said $75, so I told Paul and the store man that I was going to buy it and treat myself to a birthday present. Paul was flabbergasted that I would do so. Both he and the store man made me realize I had misred the tag. It was hundreds and hundreds of dollars. I had to tell the man that I would not be buying it after all. I would love to bring more of Hawai`i arts and crafts home with me. But no can.

I have found two types of products make good souvenirs -- food and music. Plenty jams and jellies, coffee (make sure you know where it is from and that it is not a blend), teas, honey, candy, nuts, cookies, pasta, even. I brought home mango, papaya and kiwi flavored pastas for the ladies at home.

I have asked about the origiins of any clothing items I looked at, such as hand-made pa`u. The wide majority of them were made in Philippines, yes, even the pa`u. You have to read labels and ask questions.

It is like false advertising to me and should not be permitted. I think there is a program started to put a certain logo on products if they are locally produced.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2008 :  02:08:05 AM  Show Profile
Plain and simple. People in the Phillipines will work for twenty cents an hour, while people in Hawai'i expect at least twenty dollars. So something made in Hawai'i is going to cost something like 100 times as much as producing the same product in the Phillipines.

Yes, I know it is actually slightly more complex than that, but that is the bottom line...

Hawai'i has some of the highest wages in the world right now for labor. Consider this- two thirds of the people in the world live on less than two dollars a day, and a third- two BILLION people- live on less than one dollar a day. So enjoy your high standard of living- even if you live in a tent on the beach- and don't be ashamed to send a tiny bit of that wealth back to the poor starving artisans in the Phillipines (or where ever).

But yes, something that claims to be Hawaiian should be made in Hawai'i. "Hawaiian design" would be an appropriate label.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Harry Smd
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2008 :  07:45:46 AM  Show Profile
You guys; our ohana wen get honest kine quilt made for keiki blessing in February '08. Lady dat live CaptainCook side wen design, email photo's for approval, den sew da kine. Choke $$ BUT our ohana wen get one nuddah t'ing cannah get fm "Hawaiian-style quilt made PI side,"................choke mana. Poi dog: forget what Costco employees say; remember what Bruddah Iz say, "gotta make yo' kuleana pono...........E ala 'e!" Malama pono. One nuddah t'ing: our ohana stay chop suey kine: haole/pake/FBI.
Go to Top of Page

bbenzel
Lokahi

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2008 :  08:35:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit bbenzel's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by PoiDog

Was in Costco, jes cruizin' around while da wife was stockin' up. Anyway, I come up on this display case...big sign on the display, "HAWAIIAN QUILTS." Bedspreads, pillow covers, tablecloths, napkins, etc.

So I pulled one off the display and looked at the label...MADE IN THE PHILLIPINES. I chuckled and told my wife, "Hon, check dis out...Hawaiian quilts made in da Philippines. Where's da Hawaiian quilts made in Hawai`i?" Out of nowhere, from behind da display dis lady wit one east-european accent an one Costco customer service tag grunts at me and says, "How may I help you?" So, I says, "Where is da Hawaiian quilts made in Hawai`i?" She says, "There aren't any made in Huh-Why-Uh anymore." I says, "Not as cheep as Philippines, but I bet you I can find REAL HAWAIIAN quilts." She huffs, "Well, I am not the buyer." I says, "Why don't your sign say Philippine-Made Hawaiian-Design Quilts? You trying to fool da tourists, eh?" Had two tourist couples standing behind me...I wen tell 'em, "Hawaiian quilts, but made in da Philippines...No let 'em fool you."

Den, da east-european Costco lady says dat, "Sir, you are interfering with my customers." Den, da tourist guy (da one wit ballz) says to da Costco lady, "Ma'am, I think he's (meaning ME's) right. There should be a sign explaining that these things aren't made in Hawaii, but in the Philippines. And the sign should be up front for everyone to see..." Da Costco lady wen stomp off into da back of da store. I waz waiting fo get 86'ed right dere!

But...da point is no use Hawai`i if da stuff not made in Hawai`i. No try fool da peepo. Hoooo, dat wen IRK ME! Waz almos as bad as wen da (funny but his accent was kinda like hers...da Costco lady's) east european sounding guy in one cheep aloha shirt and fake docker pants wen give me one phony "a-low-huh" in Lahaina few weeks ago at one of dem time share boots on Front Street. Brah...no can!

What if no locals shopped at Costco? What if you all got together and decided to boycott until they became an honest business?

Costco is not a tourist store. Costco is thriving in Hawaii because Hawaiians are shopping there. Hawaiians are shopping there because stuff is cheap.

The whole idea of going to Costco as a tourist seems really strange to me. When I go to Hawaii the last place I'd want to spend any time at all is Costco. I can do that at home. I go to Costco here and buy shirts with a big tag -- says "Cooke Street - Honolulu" -- look at small print on the care tag -- says "Made In Cambodia" -- I still buy 'em because they look good.

But I get "Made In Hawaii" shirts too -- I go to Kauai'i and visit Jacqueline in Hanapepe on Monday -- she tells me go to the fabric shop in Lihue or the one in Kapa'a -- buy fabric -- they send it to me, I make the shirts for you, pick 'em up Friday. Now I ask you, where is the fabric manufactured? Are there any cotton mills in Hawaii? Is a shirt really "Made In Hawaii" if the fabric is woven in China or should the tag say "Sewn In Hawaii" or maybe "Assembled In Hawaii?"

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2008 :  09:12:38 AM  Show Profile
There are very few fabrics milled in the United States. Some cottons, some polyesters and a few other man-mades, but by and large. fabrics are manufactured outside of the U.S. There is a statute in Department of Defense contracting that requires any products used on DoD clothing and textiles to be made entirely in the U.S. That means fabric, the yarns from which it was manufactured and any threads and findings such as zippers, buttons, snaps, etc. There can be exceptions granted by the Office of the Secretary of Defense if a contractor can demonstrate that there is no domestic source for the materials or components. For instance, the Air Force skirts required a rayon lining. No rayon is manufactured in the U.
s. None. So the Office of SecDef issued an exception for that fabric or permitted use of domestic polyester lining.

I personally would not be bothered by where the fabric came from -- no different in getting sugar from Barbados or pasta from Italy. Very few products we have are made entirely in the U.S. Most anything has some time of components or ingredients that come from other countries. Even your cars which are U.S. automobiles tell you how much was made in Mexico or Canada.

Try read this: http://www.ftz9.org/uploads/MadeInHawaii.pdf

But Bill's example of having one label that says the name of a Hawaiian company yet manufactured elsewhere is out and out bait and switch.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Harry Smd
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2008 :  09:19:26 AM  Show Profile
Bill: I have 20+ aloha shirts, purchased over 25 years. About the best we can do, when purchasing,, realistically, is read labels carefully and see that, at least, some money goes to Hawaiian artisan/business and NONE to sweatshop owner/operator/contractor(some very big name designers still use da kine)Aloha
Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2008 :  09:38:45 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by bbenzel
What if no locals shopped at Costco??

Den wood prolly close down. Like all da udda small ones...Ookas, Nagatas, Atta's Market

quote:
Originally posted by bbenzelWhat if you all got together and decided to boycott until they became an honest business?

I nevah no dey was not one honest business. Dey jes need to change some tings.

quote:
Originally posted by bbenzelCostco is not a tourist store. Costco is thriving in Hawaii because Hawaiians are shopping there. Hawaiians are shopping there because stuff is cheap.

Costco is not one tourist store. Right. But choke tourists in dea, cuz ste right next to da airport and dey gotta pass 'um fo get to da condo. Dey stock up foah da week...XXXXL Frosted Flakes, Supah-Dupah King Size Peenut Buttah, Kingdom Com Supah Guava Jelly an 6 double bags bread. You evah been to Maui Costco? You no see dat much Hawaiians in Maui Costco...

quote:
Originally posted by bbenzelBut I get "Made In Hawaii" shirts too -- I go to Kauai'i and visit Jacqueline in Hanapepe on Monday -- she tells me go to the fabric shop in Lihue or the one in Kapa'a -- buy fabric -- they send it to me, I make the shirts for you, pick 'em up Friday. Now I ask you, where is the fabric manufactured? Are there any cotton mills in Hawaii? Is a shirt really "Made In Hawaii" if the fabric is woven in China or should the tag say "Sewn In Hawaii" or maybe "Assembled In Hawaii?"

Seems to me dat if da shirt was made in Hanapepe, den was made in Hawai`i. Da shirt not da material. I tink dis post wen push somebody's button. Pau fo now, den!

Aloha,
da Poi Dog
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2008 :  1:01:23 PM  Show Profile
Yeah it doesnʻt matter. But a quilt with Hawaiian design made by one Hawaiian lady cost through da nose. And even if was cheaply made in Hawaiʻi in one sweatshop by filipino workers for rip off wages the hand made one still more valuable and the factory one is not real. Most made in Hawaiʻi aloha shirts are manufactured in Hawaiian sweatshops with underpaid Asian workers any way so labels should read made in Hawaiʻi by Asians from fabric from Dubai and thread from Hong Kong with buttons of unknown origin. So if you buy dis ting no grumble li.dat.
The best ukes and guitars in Hawaiʻi made by non Hawaiian people . So what. Costco is for cheap and thats what you get. You save money you give up realness. no beeg deal eh?

Three of the biggest uke shops run by Asian people is that wrong too? This thread waste time yah?

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

braddah jay
Lokahi

235 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2008 :  1:16:01 PM  Show Profile
First of all poi dog was just cruisin,and just happened to see a display of so called hawaiian quilts,etc.Not as a tourist but as a shopper he came across this. I think his point is about misrepresentation,that's all,plain and simple.As someone has said people shop there cause it can be cheaper(in bulk).It all boils down to marketing strategy aimed at the consumer.Just like the candy or potatoe chip rack right there at the checkers stand,one last shot at the consumer.Just like the candy rack,hawaiian theme products are an attempt to catch consumers,who don't know or care where it comes from.If products sell then the store will make money,if the store makes money then people will continue to work and provide.All the while da small guy gettin squeezed out slowly.Poi dog I love to push buttons,3rd floor to see my therapist,45 seconds to heat up the lazy guys food and no foget my remote fo da TVBut I gotta admit if you goin try push my button,don't touch da buttons on my remote.DAS MINE! Aloha braddah jay

Edited by - braddah jay on 06/24/2008 7:47:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2008 :  2:44:41 PM  Show Profile
Hehe...I was da remote back in da daze...

Da main ting wen badda me was da huffy attitude of dat Costco lady. AN...I no was talkin to her in da firs place; I was talkin to my Honey. But her big mout wen get in da way!

I no waz goin buy da stuff anyway, da mahketing is pointed to da tourist not Hawaiians anyway.

Hehe...I need cheep milk...I hope dey nevah 86 me via da video!

Aloha,
da Poi Dog

Edited by - PoiDog on 06/24/2008 2:49:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2008 :  3:26:13 PM  Show Profile
eh poi dog ... tanks fo sharing eh? i no can stand odda kine stuffs pepo do up hea ontop da mainland too. make me grit my teet an stomp away sometimes. BUT, wat i do is try fo edumacate everybody on wat da REAL Hawai`i stay - not da tourist one. So I wea only local kine aloha shirts not da haole kine made up hea. At my work, I da only one dat wea's one different aloha shirt every day of da month (wit real dockers ... ha ha ha).

Good ting fo you, you wen help open da eyes of da tourist, an dey wen agree wit you too! Dass edumacashun no? Keep it up bruddah! Costco still my favorite place ... churros sooo ono! No place you can get one pizza, hotdog an soda fo less den $5 no?

ha ha ha. shootz den!

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

Baritone
Lokahi

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2008 :  7:10:25 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, eh, PoiDog!! A'ole maka piapia. Albeit, I buy local whether I stay in thailand, Italy, Greece, Germany, etc., etc... Even wen in 19 - 22 degree N. Latitude and 155 - 160 degree Longitude, I can buy local Hawaii-made. I check with Bishop Museum and Honolulu Academy of Arts for artisan leads (clothes from Awai or Sig Zane, drums from Keoni Tuvalde, ukulele from the Ko'olau gang); Native Books Hawaii and Kawaihao Church members for any odda kine stuffs. BUT! Main ting you guys wen go teach us spread da mana'o, which I wen take fo granted. Thanks, eh!

Kai
Go to Top of Page

braddah jay
Lokahi

235 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2008 :  8:03:59 PM  Show Profile

[/quote]
Hehe...I need cheep milk...I hope dey nevah 86 me via da video!

Even if dey do,get cheap kine wigs,and sun glasses. Let me know,cause I get all kine wigs,da wife she like all kine boyfriends, depend wat kine she like dat day.Ne ne only kiddin,really.Aye I goin get it.I betta stop while I'm ahead,befo I get pakok on da head. K-den I'm outa hea.Aloha
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2008 :  03:04:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
You were right they should have been labeled as hawaiian Design Quilts Made in whoknowswhere . BUT anyone that thinks they are getting a Handstiched quilt at Costco or Wallmart or any of the Quilt shops all over the Islands selling Hawaiian Quilts Better look REAL hard. We have same kind problem here with Amish made Quilts. Musts have been BIG population expolsion in Amish community and they are ALL very busy making PERFECT stitched quilts. not a missed stitch on them. and SO many they can be found at all the local Walmarts ect. And instead of 1000.00 they are 100.00 WHAT A DEAL! My Grandmothers all were Quilters it took months to finish a quilt not hours when done by hand.

And now as the mother of an Starving Artist I still try to buy direct from the Artist and all the better if I actually get to see the Artist at work. Have also found that you get better prices dealing direct than when you have to go thru a gallery. Better memories too.
Talking story with the Artist only makes the memory stronger and Hawaii is so full of wonderful Artists many of which we have met at the local Farmers markets when they first start out then years later see their work in local Galleries.

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2008 :  06:59:38 AM  Show Profile
I agree that advertising should be correct and that wasn't. CostCo is very responsive and would take your complaint seriously, especially through their Seattle headquarters.
Bill: some tourists go to CostCo to pick up more copies of the Mele book, in Hawai`i often referred to as "the CostCo book". And a treat to bring home: chocolate/toffee covered macadamia nuts.... which are amazingly awesome and not sold over here.
And I don't object to the folks from Hawai`i who make their shirts in Hawai`i coming over here to sell at our local festivals like in Hermosa Beach. This is not a Hawaiiana festival, just local arts/crafts/foods, including Santa Maria tri-tip. A lot of stuff goes both ways; and "you get what you pay for"....
n
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000