Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Other music genres you love?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  3:40:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Aloha,

Just wanted to know what everybody on the forum listens to when it's not Hawaiian music?

Me? Anything.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe

FROPPE
Akahai

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  3:55:37 PM  Show Profile
Classic rock
Blues
Celtic
Soft rock (singer/songwriter-type)
Jazz
Some classical

It's all great! Just like some days, I prefer beef; others, chicken; others, seafood; sometimes, just veggies.
Go to Top of Page

808robertr
Akahai

72 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  4:04:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit 808robertr's Homepage
blues, jazz, pop in that order. sometimes country
Go to Top of Page

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  4:30:21 PM  Show Profile
Pretty much any style of music has some great pieces. The only style of music I really DON'T care for is rap- it isn't the style, it is the lyrics. I just don't feel that money is the only thing important in life; and how they talk about women? Spare me!

Sad thing is, this is the music I listen to every day. My current occupation is purchasing, rehabbing, and renting houses, and my helper likes to work to rap music. Since he has the boom box and I am not a controlling person, rap is what I get. I got him to switch to a jazz/soul station for a while, which I like a fair bit of, but now he has his CD's and I'm stuck. Went with my I-pod for a while, but it's hard to communicate or hear the phone and the boom box interferes unless I listen at a level my ears don't like.

So now I know far more than I want to about the urban black view of life. NOT the sort of lifestyle and belief system I am interested in participating in!

Chris
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  8:35:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I'm all over the place in terms of genres...if it's good music I'll listen to practically anything (country and opera still haven't bent my ear in a favorable way). When it comes to contemporary genres, however, I prefer Christian bands...I'd rather listen to hope than despair. (Chris, check out TobyMac.)

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 07/01/2008 8:36:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  12:24:57 AM  Show Profile
It has been several years since I have listened to any music in my car CD player other than Hawaiian. I find it hard to listen to any other music, because I am unconsciously comparing anything else to Hawaiian music. A lot of rock & roll music I do not like because of the electronic sounds. I do not like distorted sounding guitar, Jimi Hendrix kine. Sounds like the guitar had bad solder or something. I do not like any music that uses electronic kine drums. For some reason the frequency of the sound just hits an area in my hearing that gives me such a headache and then it is almost like my headache throbs in time with the icky music.

I do love old timey country music. Not what passes for country music now days. I love the old fashioned bluegras. I like to hear Patsy Cline, Hank Williams (papa not Jr.), Bill Monroe, Stanley Brothers.

I like to listen to Andrea Bocelli because of his beautiful voice.

I like some salsa music;p some Tejano music, some Caribbean music - not reggae, but kinda like Harry Belafonte.

I think the bottom line of the music I like is whatever has beautiful poetry in the song. It is the words that touch me and make me like a song.

Some songs that have amazed me by the power of the poetry in the words are:

Sunday Morning Coming Down by Kris Kristofferson. Also Me & Bobby McGee -- Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose. Wow - to me that is profund.
Wahine `Ilikea - Wahine `Ilikea i ka poli o Moloka`i.... or Koke`e -- He mele au no ka beauty...

I used to love the Beatles and the Monkees when I was a teeny-bopper. Now when I think of some of the Beatles music I am amazed that I liked some of it. So much of it makes no sense to me: Here come old flat top, he come grooving up slowly? What da heck is juju eyeballs??? A girl with kaleidoscope eyes? Scary dat!

But one thing about our house -- if we ain't got nothing here, we've got music. I just about every form you can think of. Paul is the one who appreciates so many different genres of music. Our girls were exposed to such a variety of music and I think that is almost as important, maybe as important, as exposing your children to a love for reading. Both loves will serve them well through out their lives.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  04:16:49 AM  Show Profile
First, my motto: There are only two kinds of music: good and bad. And I play them both!

I play pedal steel - classic country, Cajun & western swing.
I play piano - jazz, blues, Cajun & zydeco
I play banjo - old time string band & folk (some bluegrass, too)
I have season tickets to the Seatlle Opera
I love classical music.
Of course, Hawaiian.
I cannot remember a time, as far back as my memory goes, when I didn't want to play music - any kine!

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  06:16:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
I should get Momi to take some pictures of our record/CD library at home - about 3000 LPS & 4000 CDs, I think. Orchestral classics, progressive rock, classic jazz, Tibetan chanting, experimental sounds, rock, show tunes, new age, modern jazz, Balinese gamelan, opera, chamber ensembles, contemporary Japanese, 1960s & 1970s pop, film scores, bootleg live recordings, jazz singers ... and Hawaiian (among many others).

Hey Wanda - I still have my original Monkees LPs, as well as the CD reissues, rarities collections and so on.
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Lokahi

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  06:23:12 AM  Show Profile
Like many others here I like (and have played) all sorts of music.

But whatever else I have been doing, I have always played in my local pubs –our version of Kanekapila, which we call a ‘session’. This has mainly been the traditional acoustic music of the British Isles. This runs very deep with me, and with all of us. I do this three or four times a week, and sometimes more.

But we don’t just play that – we play some American style music as well. A bit of bluegrass, a bit of jazz, a bit of ‘contemporary’, a bit of blues, a bit of country. So far as I’m concerned, if you can play it on acoustic instruments and it’s fun, then why not? I’ll have a go at anything, me.

I’m lucky enough to belong to a little musical community of really good players. It’s enriched my life immeasurably over the years, it really has.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  07:14:32 AM  Show Profile
I tro to listten to a wide variety of styles and genres. That said, I have a life long love of classical, especiall vocal and small ensemble, music. It's my "home" base and I frequently return to it. I also love to listen to music of other cultures, especially that which has close ties to folk traditions. And I am very interested in the multitude of forms of Latin American music.
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  2:47:19 PM  Show Profile
Old time fiddle music, old style zydeco (lala), Cajun, country blues, and cowboy songs.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  3:32:17 PM  Show Profile
Well Jeeez...

...I guess I am more like Retro, in that there is not a "class" of Music that I do not like at least some examples of.

I am especially drawn to certain "folk" songwriters, i.e. Kris Kristofferson, John Prine, Steve Goodman, Mike Smith, Dennis Kamakahi, Noel Brazil, Townes Vanzant, Jerry Jeff Walker, Dougie McClean, Tom Jobim, (and a few others) for their excellent words and melodies.

Along the lines of Kristofferson's writing what do you think of this song e Wanda:?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_M1MHXbfqA

(written by Julie Mathews)

And another poignant one written by Michael Smith:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=GUqUi6Hjd18

Some favorites from Tom Jobim

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=thi4LUOy_oA

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y4MFn4bHdY

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=dwLJhBzs-jo

On very different note "but it rings and I rise, wipe the sleep out of my eyes...My shaving razor's cold and it stings"

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 07/02/2008 4:02:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  4:09:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence

And another poignant one written by Michael Smith:
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=GUqUi6Hjd18

Nice - interesting player, too. Name is also "Mike" but he's from the U.K. Michael Smith is one of my favorite songwriters; here he is himself, doing the same song - http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=jLgttYMF4lM
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  4:33:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
E Wanda why you no like da Beatles? I think they're so good!

BTW, here's a trivia question: Where did they record all of their albums? No cheating by looking it up or anything!

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  5:08:17 PM  Show Profile
Das too easy, dat, fo us oldah folk- get album title and eberyting. So I goine leave dat one fo da youngah set.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  01:54:44 AM  Show Profile
'Alika - there are periods of time when the Beatles, either collectively or individually produced some of the best music the world has ever seen. Songs like Yesterday or Imagine or Something will live on and on. But in days when they were using drugs, the music sorely suffered. I have a wonderful CD of Beatles music which is a tribute to George Martin. It has various people singing Beatles songs, people like Bobby McFerrin and Robin Williams singing Come Together; Sean Connery reciting the words to My Life and Goldie Hawn singing A Hard Days night like a cocktail lounge torch singer. It is very good and worth listening to.

Retro - how do you & Momi store all that music? I am running out of places to put the music. Any storage and organization tips would be most appreciated.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000