Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Who is this gentleman playing `ukulele?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  08:52:16 AM  Show Profile
I am looking for help in identifying who this `ukulele player is. He was in the audience at the Kiho`alu Sunday Show of Martin Pahinui, George Kuo, Aaron Mahi & Bobby Ingano at the Waikiki Marriott. He joined them for a couple of great jazzy, hapa-haole tunes. I was remiss in writing down his name because I was sure I would remember it, but guess what? I do not remember his name. I believe he was in a pretty famous group, maybe Kahuanu Lake??? I need to know for my scrapbooking. I am ashamed for not writing down his name and giving honor to one of the talented kupuna.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 07/10/2008 08:53:20 AM

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  10:03:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Looks kinda like Eddie Kamae - the white cap being almost a trademark.
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  10:11:57 AM  Show Profile
I see the resemblance to Eddie, but I seem to recall George Kuo introducing him as Dennis Something. And I'm sure he was with Kahauanu Lake for some time, also per George's intro.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  11:33:48 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kahauanu Lake on ukulele,
Tommy Lake on stand-up bass,
and
Al Machida on guitar

Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  4:44:23 PM  Show Profile
Yep...I asked George Kuo to confirm -- which he just did via this email:

This is Al Machida, of the Kahauanu Lake Trio. He was their guitar player, and now teaches ukulele. He worked at Hawaiian Electric with Tommy Lake, the lead falsetto singer / bass player for the trio.

(he also sent me an upcoming mainland tour, which I'm posting in that forum)

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  10:08:41 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo nui Braddah Ed, Auntie Maria & Cousin George. Hey, why George no come talk story on Taro Patch?

You should hear this gentleman play `ukulele. Very nice, very jazzy, foot tappiing kine, makes you want to get up and dance. Ono dat.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  02:55:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Mahalo nui Braddah Ed, Auntie Maria & Cousin George. Hey, why George no come talk story on Taro Patch?

You should hear this gentleman play `ukulele. Very nice, very jazzy, foot tappiing kine, makes you want to get up and dance. Ono dat.

You should hear him play guitar. Many a youngster - myself included - is still trying to copy his style. He is underrated for having revolutionized Hawaiian music with his jazz influence.

On most of the K. Lake records, the trio was actually a quartet. A second guitarist, Al Kaailau, was added. He, too, had a signature jazzy style and together the "Als" played some fine harmony licks which were reminiscent of the horn lines from the great big bands. Throw in Uncle K.'s `ukulele, also as jazzy as they come, and this was the hip Hawaiian music group of its time.

Uncle Tommy was my friend until the end. The group would not have been the same without his falsetto or his bass.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  07:41:27 AM  Show Profile
That's my Uncle!! (Grandpa's Brother) :D

Edited by - sm80808 on 07/11/2008 07:47:14 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: