Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Vintage Aunty Nona Video Interviews
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  10:34:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Aloha all -

My pal Evo Bluestein is editing videos made by his father, Gene, back in the seventies and eighties. Gene was a folklorist; among his friends was Aunty Nona Beamer, who came to Fresno manytimes to talk story.

Eveo has received the blessing of the Beamer Family to post these historic clips on YouTube.

The first two are now live:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeilCW6HBqI&feature=user

and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XakYRJAih8

Mahalo Evo, for making these available.

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  11:49:48 AM  Show Profile
These were wonderful. Oh how I wish I had been able to meet this great lady and feel her mana.

Thank you, Mark, for telling us about them. How fortunate we are that there are films such as these available to document her legacy.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  4:41:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
mark - please thank evo and the beamer `ohana for posting these. i can't begin to explain how beautiful it is to see these clips of nona. by the time i met her, she moved slower, but she had that same incredible vitality.

Edited by - marzullo on 07/13/2008 03:14:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  6:47:13 PM  Show Profile
Oh my, these are lovely. I sat here with a smile on my face the whole time I watched them. Mahalo plenny!

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2008 :  03:51:54 AM  Show Profile
Oh my! Listening to Nona chant in the second video sent chills through me. Hawaiian chant is so riveting and gives me chicken skin. I love it.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2008 :  07:56:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Aloha all -

I forgot to mention that Evo told me he has maybe an hour of Aunty Nona material. He will get it all posted as he has time. I'll be sure to pass on your thanks-- but you can also do that directly via YouTube.

He suggests subscribing to his YouTube site so you'll be notified as new stuff goes live. Just hit the yellow "Subscribe" button-- EZ, eh?

Don't forget to check out some of the other clips, including amazing footage of Kenny Hall, Lydia Mendoza and oud master Richard Hagopian, with much more to come.

This is a huge gift!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000