Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Favorite Shave Ice flavors
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2008 :  6:57:48 PM  Show Profile
At Kalama Days, had one shave ice guy, "Johnny Pineapple" busy sellin ono shave ice. I found a winning combo to be: lilikoi-guava-pineapple. Any challengers?

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  01:04:53 AM  Show Profile
I only like any kine flavor without the azuki beans. I mean they didn't taste bad or anything lidat but. Too odd to me to have the sweet syrups and ice cream and den beans. At least they weren't pinto beans like the hillbillies eat. But one thing, they get the fluffiest ice, not hard and crystalline like snow cone. It is like fluffy snow. I have had the rainbow kine. Ahdunno what the blue flavah. But it makes your tongue funny kine color.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  11:47:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

At Kalama Days, had one shave ice guy, "Johnny Pineapple" busy sellin ono shave ice. I found a winning combo to be: lilikoi-guava-pineapple. Any challengers?

Kory & I both discovered this combination, completely independent of each other's influence. Weird minds think alike.

I told "Mistah Pineapple" (who hails from Lanikai, btw) that he needs to call it "Da Uddah Guyz" flava now. He said that he was ready to start making it as soon as he saw either Kory or I in line - just like a good bartender.

And Kory & I were in that line a LOT.
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  12:18:53 PM  Show Profile
I like mango-pineapple a lot, But we haven't had enough different flavors to formulate a representative sample. Nature abhors a vacuum.The time is RIPE for RESEARCH!Alas, the only shave ice in Ohio comes from under a Zamboni.
Oh Honey-Dear,are you researching travel stuffs?
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  12:25:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by rendesvous1840

Alas, the only shave ice in Ohio comes from under a Zamboni.

And you won't want that flavor. Trust me.
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  12:41:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
quote:
I only like any kine flavor without the azuki beans
when i was in china a couple of summers ago, they sold adzuki ice cream and mung bean ice cream. funny texture, but great flavor...

as for shave ice, i'm a traditionalist - pineapple/orange/guava. why mess with perfection?

aloha,
keith

Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  12:50:03 PM  Show Profile
I like rainbow. I have no idea what flavors are used to make it, but they're almost always fruit flavors, and I like just about any combination of those. Throw a little li hing powder on top, and dat's da bomb.

Easier to say what I don't like - cola, bubble gum, ice cream or azuki. I like my azuki beans in mochi or manju, not shave ice.

There was a mom and pop store in the Liliha neighborhood that used to have an awesome chocolate flavor. I tried asking the ojii-san (grandpa) who mixed the flavors how he made it, and he just gave me the fish eye and wouldn't say. The store is sadly now closed - 'as why hahd.
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  12:59:17 PM  Show Profile
i like da li hing mui syrup ice shave. Da rainbow stay real ono too. I love dakine wit azuki an icecream inside too. Get one ono place in Aiea, i foget da name. Ahh, i like anykine. But in Hilo, gotta get da ice shave from Itsu's by da stadium.

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  1:29:36 PM  Show Profile
Nah, Braddah Ed. Glenn stay smoke seegah and drink beyah. Ice shave fo da keiki, to him I speckt. I tink he at home playing with his zoom h2. Boys gotta have toys.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  2:30:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Momi

Easier to say what I don't like - cola
Slipry1 had one "root beer" flavor. When I first saw it, I asked if he had poured shoyu on his ice.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  3:47:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
So - do you put shoyu on mac salad? I never tried that before - but I saw it for the first time in Kalama, courtesy of a lovely kumu hula from Daboonies.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  5:18:42 PM  Show Profile
So many flavors, so little time! Johnny da shave ice guy was putting Gummy Worms on top da shave ice, so I ordered mines "no mo' bug"!

Edited by - thumbstruck on 08/25/2008 5:19:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  6:50:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by guavasunrise

adono about dem gummy worms eedah.
I took mine off and gave 'em to da keiki dat was backstage.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  6:56:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I like to add a snow cap, cream poured over the top. 'Ono.

Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  6:58:00 PM  Show Profile
I first had lilikoi-pineapple-guava about 6 years ago while visiting Oahu. Hooked on it since then, but I sometines sub mango for the lilikoi.
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  7:26:53 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

quote:
Originally posted by guavasunrise

adono about dem gummy worms eedah.
I took mine off and gave 'em to da keiki dat was backstage.
Oh. But I thought Momi stayed home this time.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000