Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Favorite Shave Ice flavors
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

slackkey808
Akahai

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  9:12:24 PM  Show Profile
rainbow just cuz I don't usually get a chance to have so gotta get em all at once.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2008 :  12:14:30 AM  Show Profile
Eh Zack Boy - e komo mai to Taro Patch! You guys have heard Zack's nahenahe music befo time. I've posted links to his you tube stuff periodically. Glad you came Taro Patch, and glad you chimed in about shave ice.

Does anyone know the history on WHY the beans? I mean, I never woulda thunk about putting beans together with the ice cream or the syrups.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2008 :  02:35:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
I miss shave ice soooo much I bought a machine small kine and now make my own here in DE. Mine are Lilikoi Guava Mango with li hing mui powder some times when I want to go ALL out I even get out the Icecream and beans but most times I am satisfied just to have the shave ice. My husband he is boring stick with same thing ALL the time MANG MAngo Mango. but then I guess that is a GOOD thing he stick with me for almost 40 years. guess I am glad he likes the same old same old :-)

Now you all have done it I am gona have to go home from work tonight and make Shave Ice. Glad I keep blocks frozen.

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2008 :  03:13:03 AM  Show Profile
Nani - We are both very fortunate that our men like to stick with the same old same old.

Oh, but where to buy a machine lidat? And where to buy the real kine syrup? Do the machines make real kine shave ice and not "snow cones" I hope?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2008 :  03:57:06 AM  Show Profile
Eh, Wanda. Could use one small kine block plane, just clean off da wood shavings.
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Lokahi

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2008 :  04:54:11 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by NANI

... I bought a machine small kine and now make my own ...

Nani - A friend of ours from when we lived on O'ahu brought a machine back to the east cost with him when he moved, but was disappointed in the texture of the ice shavings. If yours makes good ice, could you post information on where we and he could get one like it? There've been a couple places here in south-central PA that advertised Hawaiian shave ice, but not even close. Don't understand the concept of shave, I think.

As for flavors, I like vanilla, banana and cherry. Not very tropical, but pretty and still ono, you know. My lovely wife, Jan, tried lots of different flavors and liked them all. Mango was nearly always in the mix.

Mālama pono
Ben
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2008 :  05:20:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by hapakid

I like to add a snow cap, cream poured over the top. 'Ono.
Me too but usually too pāke. Strawberry cream and lilikoʻi, with ice cream and azuki bean.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2008 :  05:28:19 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Oh. But I thought Momi stayed home this time.

Official whack-whacks fo' you, brah!

As for Wanda's query about azuki, the Japanese use it when they make shave ice, which they call "kakegoori." I'm sure other cultures have the tradition of shave ice (isn't the Filipino halohalo similar but with lots more ingredaments?), but I am best acquainted with the Japanese stuff. The most complicated version of shave ice I saw in Japan was called "Uji Kinton," which involved shave ice, frozen green tea, azuki beans, sweet syrup, and at least a couple more ingredients. Azuki is slightly sweet in its own right and in paste form ("an") is used in lots of Japanese desserts (mochi and manju, as previously mentioned, as well as anpan).

As for syrup, Malolo (also used to make fruit punch) is popular. Some places use Italian syrups (the kind that flavor espresso drinks and Italian sodas).

Edited by - Momi on 08/26/2008 05:31:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2008 :  5:57:59 PM  Show Profile
Momi, you wen' miss'em. Too bad da guys never recycle da plastic shave ice cups. Flatten'em out an' use as roofing material-- maybe jus' melt'em down an' staht ovah.
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2008 :  12:29:59 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

Momi, you wen' miss'em. Too bad da guys never recycle da plastic shave ice cups. Flatten'em out an' use as roofing material-- maybe jus' melt'em down an' staht ovah.

Thumbs should know - it was buggah hot on Saturday, and he consumed 5 grande ones! I only had 3 reaulars, but I'm a wuass.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2008 :  6:38:08 PM  Show Profile
Eh! Johnny Pineapple gonna be at "LIVE ALOHA" festival at Seattle Center on Sept 7! I know what I'm gonna have!
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2008 :  7:06:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Right on! Momi can get her fix!
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  7:49:59 PM  Show Profile
Momi did get her fix at Live Aloha 2008. So did Thumbstruck and Slipry 1:

And then they went on to play with Da Uddah Guyz:

Slipry 1, Noeau, Falsetto2002, Thumbstruck, Retro.

Then Baritone joined 'em:

And earlier in the day, Ke Kai Malino played:

Nai`a, Noeau, Retro.

What a terrific day. Great music, great friends, great weather, great shave ice, great fun. We hope this year's event went well enough that this will join the Seattle Center's roster of ethnic-based festivals. Hope to see all y'all next year.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  02:44:50 AM  Show Profile
Eh, Momi! Nice pitchahs! My only regret: only had time for one shave ice. Logistics precluded a second and therefore a third.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  02:49:51 AM  Show Profile
Indeed great pictures Momi. Thank you so much for sharing them with us. Kory, you are gazing so lovingly at the shave ice. Jack, I do not see an eye patch or drooling. I hope you are recovering well. You never let it stop the steel playing! Good for you. And Braddah Al -- you have lost some weight, yeah? You must not be slurping enough of those saimin noodles. It is so good to see Greg and Gary Herb and all you guys. Looks like you had just good fun! I see Braddah Herb gots da palaka shirt!

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 09/08/2008 02:51:14 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000