Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Led Kaapana's guitar stolen
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2008 :  05:52:19 AM  Show Profile
Bad news from kgmb9.com -- get the word out, please:

Yesterday (8/25) was the 60th birthday of Hawaiian Music Legend and Lifetime Achievement Award Winner Ledward Ka'apana. He decided to go to Peter Moon's house to play music for him. Afterwards he headed down to Likelike Drive-Inn for a bite to eat. While inside eating, a local boy who some had seen circling the car, broke in and stole Ledward's Bird's Eye Maple Ibanez guitar. We're showing you pictures this morning so that everyone knows it's a hot guitar, and they should just turn it in or leave it on the front steps of police headquarters, bring it to the radio station or KGMB9, no questions asked.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2008 :  06:22:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
aue!

this reminds me - did kahauanu lake ever get his `ukulele back?

aloha,
keith

Edited by - marzullo on 08/27/2008 06:25:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2008 :  06:45:39 AM  Show Profile

Oh No!

After having such a nice birthday party.

Was that his brand new car that got broken into?

If so, it was probably damaged too.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

lynn
Lokahi

289 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2008 :  4:09:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit lynn's Homepage  Send lynn a Yahoo! Message
It was also Peter's birthday... here's the email Judy sent out - followed by the photo they're using:

"Yesterday, Led and his sister Lehua went to play for Peter Moon with Sharon and another family friend in tow. It was Peter's birthday, too.

On the way home they stopped at Likelike [Drive In] for a bite to eat.
While they were inside, someone helped themselves to Led's Ibanez guitar. One of the back car doors may not have been closed enough for the lock to engage. No sign of forced entry. They filed a police report and started calling people.

The media people want details and a good photo. So far, the best image I have is the very low-res image attached which we pulled from YouTube.

There's supposed to be an inventory photo of the guitar and one of our
friends has an enormous collection of shots of Led and thinks he has a
better image...but this is what we have for now.

Noe Tanigawa, Lina Girl, and Billy V have all jumped in to help.
The PR people for Kona Brewing offered to put the word out to all the media people who were invited to the birthday party. FM100 has it up on their web site.

By tomorrow we should have better images and a press release.

Thanks for your concern. It was a whole lot better to be celebrating with you, as planned, than to let him sit home and stew.

ALOHA!
Judy"

Here's the most recent photo of Led with the guitar in question - Judy just emailed it to me today. FYI, the good folks at Likelike Drive In are willing to accept the guitar on Led's behalf, NO QUESTIONS ASKED. It can be turned in at the front desk:

(Note: when I previewed this post the image showed up pretty tiny. If you want, go to this link and look at it there):
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2508199140102689276lgLhMj

Mahalos!

Lynn
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  09:40:01 AM  Show Profile
Too bad so sad. Must be tha drugs man! Kahauanu got his uke back sans strings. Pretty weird. Cyril had some guitars stolen from his house. I believe those came back too. If the thief is Hawaiian his family might get on his case to return the axe. Nobody like the shame of stealing from one master musician.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.

Edited by - noeau on 08/28/2008 09:40:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  10:24:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

Nobody like the shame of stealing from one master musician.

Unfortunately, ice trumps shame.
Go to Top of Page

lynn
Lokahi

289 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  3:58:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit lynn's Homepage  Send lynn a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by guavasunrise

quote:
Originally posted by lynn

(Note: when I previewed this post the image showed up pretty tiny.)
This one should work better...

So was that Judy Barrett who sent that email? \m/

Mahalos - WAY better! Couldn't figure out how to make mine show up so you could see it w/o a magnifying glass... And yup - it was Judy Barrett... was talking to her last night, and she is SOOO appreciative that everyone is spreading the word! People are really showing their aloha - I also sent it out in my Hawaiian Events newsletter yesterday (most subscribers are on da mainland, but lots have ohana here in Hawai'i nei), and they've been busy forwarding it, too. And folks like Billy V keep mentioning it on the air, they've posted the photo on their websites, etc...
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  9:15:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
KHON Channel 2 sent a crew out this afternoon and ran a very nice spot on their 5PM evening news:

http://www.khon2.com/news/local/27644534.html

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2008 :  11:48:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
ALOHA NO!
Please keep us updated.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  07:57:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
Received an email this morning saying that Led's guitar was returned. Waiting for details. Led played in Naalehu yesterday... along with dozens of other great musicians and dancers.
Then we had the Slack Key festival in Keauhou, then Makana played 3 hours at the Kona Brew Pub... Gee I love living in Hawaii.
Aloha,
-Konabob

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  09:47:13 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Konabob

Received an email this morning saying that Led's guitar was returned. Waiting for details. Led played in Naalehu yesterday... along with dozens of other great musicians and dancers.
Then we had the Slack Key festival in Keauhou, then Makana played 3 hours at the Kona Brew Pub... Gee I love living in Hawaii.
Aloha,
-Konabob

Thats GREAT news!

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Judy808
Aloha

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  11:53:54 PM  Show Profile
quote:

Received an email this morning saying that Led's guitar was returned.

It's true, it's true. As of 2:30 this afternoon (Monday, 9/1) Led was serenading us with his Ibanez. Perfect cap to a wonderful weekend.

We got the news about 5:00 Sunday at the "Malama Punalu`u" festival that a friend of a friend had the guitar. Made contact Monday AM and picked the guitar up on the way home from the airport.

HURRAH!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  05:50:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
BOB! %*(^$## @ @ @ !!!

it's hard enogh starting the academic year without you singing the hawaii island siren song...

great news on led's axe. was it in fine shape?

aloha,
keith

Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  09:37:09 AM  Show Profile
news blast from today's Honolulu Star-Bulletin:

MUSICIAN'S STOLEN GUITAR SHOWS UP

A stolen custom-made guitar is back in the hands of Grammy award-winning slack-key artist Ledward Kaapana, his wife said yesterday.

The guitar was stolen from a car in the parking lot of the Likelike Drive-Inn on Aug. 25 at about 3 p.m., and Kaapana issued a public call for its return, no questions asked. Kaapana has owned the bird's-eye maple Ibanez guitar for 35 years.

The thief apparently contacted a friend of singer Robi Kahakalau to sell the guitar, said Sharon Kaapana. The friend bought it for $150 but realized it was Kaapana's guitar. She told Kahakalau, who told entertainer Amy Hanaialii Gilliom.

Gilliom saw the Kaapanas at the Malama Punaluu festival on the Big Island this weekend and told them about it, and they arranged to get the guitar back.

A long story but a happy ending, Sharon Kaapana said. "Led's happy," she said. "It doesn't have its case but that's OK."

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  11:46:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
I heard about it on the news. I hope that he will get it back. After all, he was celebrating hiis birthday. Please keep us updated.

Alana :)

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2008 :  3:32:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:

Aloha,
-Konabob

Maika'i loa! Phew!

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000