Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Choral Arrangements
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

kamalani764
Aloha

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  02:40:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit kamalani764's Homepage  Send kamalani764 an AOL message  Click to see kamalani764's MSN Messenger address
So, I have been thinking lately how I'd like it if I could get my school choir to do some kind of choral piece in the Hawaiian language. There's not a lot of people in Massachusetts who have even heard the language, so I thought it would be good to introducethem to a bit more of the Hawaiian language and culture then everyone already knows. My new director, it seems is pretty open to sugestions, but although I have this idea I don't really have any idea what so ever of what song to do. So does anyone here know of any songs that have been arranged as a choral piece, ideally in the Hawaiian language?
Kama

Kamalani

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  03:12:01 AM  Show Profile
You may be interested in the Rose Choral Ensemble, recommended to me by Dr. Amy Stillman, a very well reknown Hawaiian musicologist.

See the following link: http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6431

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  04:01:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
I too want to do a choral piece in 'olelo and would love to pick that album up. Also, I particularly like the Manoa Voices' choral version of "Ho'onani Ka Makua Mau" that they did in Ka Himeni 'Ana. You can hear it at http://www.mele.com/hawaiianMP3s/3590_12.mp3

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  06:58:26 AM  Show Profile
If you can arrange by ear, this beautiful choral arrangement of Akaka Falls will fit the bill.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5guoYe14LU

Bob
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  09:11:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Nani!

Unfortunately, we don't have a men's choir. That's why we were thinking about ones that are mixed.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  4:03:58 PM  Show Profile
Why not contact the Kam schools choral director and see if anything is available already worked out?
Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  4:20:26 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by RJS

Why not contact the Kam schools choral director and see if anything is available already worked out?

Ouch...
But, yeah...contact that school. Ask for a simple arrangement or two, not Song Contest type material. Drop an email to Kaleo Trinidad (katrinid @ ksbe.edu) of the Performing Arts department. Ask if there is a simple arrangement for the Island Medley. That might be a good start.

Aloha,
da Poi Dog

Edited by - PoiDog on 09/07/2008 4:33:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  12:45:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by PoiDog

quote:
Originally posted by RJS

Ouch...
But, yeah...contact that school. Ask for a simple arrangement or two, not Song Contest type material. Drop an email to Kaleo Trinidad (katrinid @ ksbe.edu) of the Performing Arts department. Ask if there is a simple arrangement for the Island Medley. That might be a good start.

I e-mailed someone that has a lot of association with the school and asked about "Ho'onani Ka Makua Mau." Not mentioning names.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  06:43:41 AM  Show Profile
You can contact Chadwick Pang of Manoa Voices, via their website. Great guy -- I'm pretty sure he'll be helpful.

http://www.manoavoices.com

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  08:33:26 AM  Show Profile
quote:

I e-mailed someone that has a lot of association with the school and asked about "Ho'onani Ka Makua Mau." Not mentioning names.

Great, it's beautiful when done correctly. Sadly, the last time I heard it, that wasn't the case. A southern drawl does not make it easy when it comes to 'olelo.

My recommendation to Kamalani764 was music of a non-religious nature because I was not sure if Kamalani764's school is public or private. Some public school districts on the mainland want nothing to do with religion on their campus. That particular rendition of the Doxology may be offensive to some.

Aloha,
da Poi Dog

Edited by - PoiDog on 09/08/2008 12:54:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  12:26:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:

quote:

Great, it's beautiful when done correctly. Sadly, the last time I heard it, that wasn't the case. A southern drawl does not make it easy when it comes to 'olelo.

My recommendation to the OP (Kamalani764) was music of a non-religious nature because I was not sure if his school is public or private. Some public school districts on the mainland want nothing to do with religion on their campus. That particular rendition of the Doxology may be offensive to some.

Neither of us have directors that don't allow religious material to be incorporated into our choral programs. Every year at our Christmas concerts, we file in singing "Silent Night" with pen lights in our hands. For many, it's the highlight of the evening.

And btw, Kama is a she, just like me.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  1:03:38 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hawaiianmusicfan138

quote:

quote:

My recommendation to Kamalani764 was music of a non-religious nature because I was not sure if Kamalani764's school is public or private. Some public school districts on the mainland want nothing to do with religion on their campus. That particular rendition of the Doxology may be offensive to some.

Neither of us have directors that don't allow religious material to be incorporated into our choral programs. Every year at our Christmas concerts, we file in singing "Silent Night" with pen lights in our hands. For many, it's the highlight of the evening.

OK...fix't. And I didn't know the part about what is and is not permitted...Az'swy I wen tread da safe watah.

BTW...Po La`i E is perfect. Already arranged and all you need is the lyrics.

Aloha,
da Poi Dog
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  2:54:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

OK...fix't. And I didn't know the part about what is and is not permitted...Az'swy I wen tread da safe watah.

BTW...Po La`i E is perfect. Already arranged and all you need is the lyrics.

I know them already. Mahalo foa da advice!

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  5:58:19 PM  Show Profile
quote:

Now I'm confused. I responded to what she was asking.

Aloha,
da Poi Dog

Edited by - PoiDog on 09/08/2008 5:59:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  3:32:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:

quote:

Now I'm confused. I responded to what she was asking.

E kala mai! You were just mentioning "Po La'i E" and said all I had to do was learn the words, and I said I know them.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2008 :  01:18:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
BTW guys, I think this is funny. I was talking with Kamalani on the phone once and I said, "I like going to the high school I'm in, but I think it would be really cool if we both went to the Kamehameha Schools so that we could both be in the song contest. But what stinks is that we'd be in different divisions." And she's like, "We would?" and I go, "Yeah. You're only a sophomore!" and she goes, "Oh yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!"

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000