Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Choral Arrangements
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

LovinLK
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2008 :  7:25:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit LovinLK's Homepage  Send LovinLK a Yahoo! Message
You might want to contact your local library and get a copy of the Charles E. King songbooks. There are two of them and they have the kind of simple arrangements you're probably looking for.

When I needed choral arrangements, I contacted Randie Fong at Kam Schools and asked for certain songs I heard at song contest and he gladly sent me the ones I requested.

You can also get Hawaiian hymnals with the words in Hawaiian like at Kawaiaha'o or Ha'ili Church in Hilo. There's also a Hawaiian church on Maui where I borrowed the hymn book, made copies of the hymns I wanted in Hana and returned the book to the church in Keanae on my way back.

Lovin' Lee is my favorite pasttime!!

Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2008 :  06:43:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by LovinLK

You might want to contact your local library and get a copy of the Charles E. King songbooks. There are two of them and they have the kind of simple arrangements you're probably looking for.

When I needed choral arrangements, I contacted Randie Fong at Kam Schools and asked for certain songs I heard at song contest and he gladly sent me the ones I requested.

You can also get Hawaiian hymnals with the words in Hawaiian like at Kawaiaha'o or Ha'ili Church in Hilo. There's also a Hawaiian church on Maui where I borrowed the hymn book, made copies of the hymns I wanted in Hana and returned the book to the church in Keanae on my way back.

Mahalo nui loa e Marguerite. I'll definitely check those out. Still no response from KS.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  01:34:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Just the other day, I called Rosanna from Manoa Voices and had a lovely conversation with her. She was suggesting songs from The Queen's Songbook, as well as the Kimo Henderson Hula by Lina Machado. Interestingly enough, she also mentioned the Doxology, which was one of my own thoughts. I was thinking that one because the tune is one that lots of people over here would recognize. At the end of the call, I asked if they would be doing anything the week that I'm gonna be on Moku O Keawe, and she said they didn't have anything scheduled and told me to e-mail her the dates because they may be able to do something then. How cool is that?

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  07:54:50 AM  Show Profile
There must be a plethora of written things out there.
Between the missionary influences, education and church music over the years, and the natural musical abilities of people who came to or lived on the Hawaiian islands...

The music libraries of schools, churches and community choirs must have things...
Like keeping slack key alive through sharing, not holding ones precious secrets.

It'd be fun to see how much is out there extant and already arranged ...
Then,
To pair it down where needed for younger voices...
maybe 2 parts paired down from 3 or 4...
Melody plus a harmony...or maybe just melody...

I bet I could get our 5th grade vocal teachers interested if there's some written stuff..both words and at least melody in written notation.
Add uke or maybe a SIMPLE string part for violins and cellos and violas!
In D or G of course...I'm thinkin' 5th grades level....
but I've had some good and even great players at times.

So far, in our schools in Colorado, indeed I've seen more "Happa-Haole" Pseudo-Hawaiian....
sorta good for cute stuff or a cheap laugh...but MISSING the chance to show a true, deeper art and dig in to a potential teachable anchor concept ...for an developing more authentic Hawaiian culture song and culture concepts... educating not only the kids, but also the families and communities that come to see what their kids and the teachers have been doing all day.
We get enough superficial stuff on American Idol!

Maybe this lower common "Hollywood Hawaiian" is why people grow up to think that the superficial, tin-pan allelyesque stuff is real...and plop down on the beach to be waited on.
And passively observe "tourist culture" as the best they can do.

I could get my 2nd year strings to do some melodies...maybe with choral ...and it'd be great to see some true Hawaiian choreography with kids.
Teachers are always looking, and some of the stuff is just insulting...4th and 5th graders are capable of getting a little deeper artistic challenges.
As to the limitations of Religious stuff...
while we have to watch it...we are allowed to explore and present music of world cultures and that has to include religion...so much literature and history comes from our belief that have created our world.
So while we may not get to do Silent Night with candles...(they are memorable), we can do quite a bit, even when we have be a little cautious...
So, back to choral stuff...
what have we got IN PRINT, (mostly ready to go) ...and perhaps with some music notation? I'll work out the secular/religious balance point!

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 01/07/2009 07:58:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  4:12:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kapila Kane

There must be a plethora of written things out there.
Between the missionary influences, education and church music over the years, and the natural musical abilities of people who came to or lived on the Hawaiian islands...

The music libraries of schools, churches and community choirs must have things...
Like keeping slack key alive through sharing, not holding ones precious secrets.

It'd be fun to see how much is out there extant and already arranged ...
Then,
To pair it down where needed for younger voices...
maybe 2 parts paired down from 3 or 4...
Melody plus a harmony...or maybe just melody...

I bet I could get our 5th grade vocal teachers interested if there's some written stuff..both words and at least melody in written notation.
Add uke or maybe a SIMPLE string part for violins and cellos and violas!
In D or G of course...I'm thinkin' 5th grades level....
but I've had some good and even great players at times.

So far, in our schools in Colorado, indeed I've seen more "Happa-Haole" Pseudo-Hawaiian....
sorta good for cute stuff or a cheap laugh...but MISSING the chance to show a true, deeper art and dig in to a potential teachable anchor concept ...for an developing more authentic Hawaiian culture song and culture concepts... educating not only the kids, but also the families and communities that come to see what their kids and the teachers have been doing all day.
We get enough superficial stuff on American Idol!

Maybe this lower common "Hollywood Hawaiian" is why people grow up to think that the superficial, tin-pan allelyesque stuff is real...and plop down on the beach to be waited on.
And passively observe "tourist culture" as the best they can do.

I could get my 2nd year strings to do some melodies...maybe with choral ...and it'd be great to see some true Hawaiian choreography with kids.
Teachers are always looking, and some of the stuff is just insulting...4th and 5th graders are capable of getting a little deeper artistic challenges.
As to the limitations of Religious stuff...
while we have to watch it...we are allowed to explore and present music of world cultures and that has to include religion...so much literature and history comes from our belief that have created our world.
So while we may not get to do Silent Night with candles...(they are memorable), we can do quite a bit, even when we have be a little cautious...
So, back to choral stuff...
what have we got IN PRINT, (mostly ready to go) ...and perhaps with some music notation? I'll work out the secular/religious balance point!

Yes, that would be wonderful! I would say to have just two parts or have everybody sing melody if you were teaching fifth graders. I hadn't started singing in a three-part choir until seventh grade. In fifth and sixth, we just had sopranos and altos.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  11:19:29 AM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message
During my sophomore year at Kamehameha the boys choir did Ku'u Pua Maeole and it was the best, of course the seniors won.
Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  2:58:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
I can arrange any song you wish for a choral group. Let me know...

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2009 :  5:26:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by mpi_50

During my sophomore year at Kamehameha the boys choir did Ku'u Pua Maeole and it was the best, of course the seniors won.

Why did you say "of course?" The seniors haven't always won. The sophomores won the coed last year with their beautiful rendition of Keali'i Reichel's "Ka Nohona Pili Kai."

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2009 :  5:27:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by hikabe

I can arrange any song you wish for a choral group. Let me know...

Mahalo, Hiram! I will let you know.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000