Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Political viewpoints, should they be private?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  7:51:27 PM  Show Profile
Aloha everyone,

I hate to even touch upon this subject, but I started thinking after I received several emails from other TaroPatch members regarding this or that that political persona or issue.

With the presidential election looming, there are plenty of opinions and preferences out there. However, I have found that while I love and care for many musicians I've met, it kind of puts a kink in my opinion of them when they shower me with information that I may not agree with. I find that it also changes my perception of them, and my feelings toward them. That is an unfortunate by-product.

This is my first presidential election. Although I've lived in this country for 48 years, I only became a citizen two years ago, and am looking forward to participating in something that many people the world over covet. Scores of people would die for this privilege, and I'm going to take full advantage of this most precious gift.

I am usually open to shared information, but I kind of prefer to think of my musical friends as just that: friends. While I appreciate everyone's individuality and everyone's right to their opinion, I'm wondering if we could just keep the political stuff to a bare minimum in order to preserve the impartiality we now enjoy. If you are considering emailing me something about this or that politician, please reconsider. I am working on making up my own mind at this time.

With aloha, Julie

Edited by - Julie H on 10/12/2008 7:54:24 PM

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2008 :  04:10:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I'll talk with anyone about anything, but there are at least three areas of conversation that are like someone's home...you can knock on the door but you if you're not invited in then you're intruding. That would be sex, politics, and religion. (And you could probably add parenting skills as well!)

Having said that, you'll quickly discover that there's no such thing as impartiality when it comes to politics.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2008 :  05:22:49 AM  Show Profile
I think it is an abuse of this forum to use its member list to spread political opinion. OK by me to open a topic in "Talk Story" and whoever is interested can go there. OK if you are already friends or corespondants. Otherwise, this place is about music, Hawaiian culture, etc.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2008 :  07:12:18 AM  Show Profile
At this point in time of the impending elections, I am fed up to here (cue top of eyebrows) with political ads and campaigning. I cannot tell you how many times a day the phone rings only for it to be a recorded message by folks representing one or the other campaigns. I've had recorded calls from Obama, McCain, Hilary and Bill, Ahnold, etc., etc., etc. I am so tired of the attacks made on each other. I am tired of statewide policies, etc., that are coming up for a vote, by parties on both sides who think the electorate are so stupid as to be unable to read a proposition and to understand it. I will be so happy when the election is over. I just want them to leave me alone and let me do what I am supposed to do. Vote. I can do my research on my own and moreover, I do (did).

I think it was the Who..."Meet the new boss, same as the old boss."

All those years I spent working for the federal government in republican or democrat administrations, new bosses usually every 8 years; rotating in and out of military commander billets, etc., we always had new bosses. They would each have their own pet agendas, their "flavor of the day" so to speak, but the bottom line is, they were deep down, all the same.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2008 :  08:05:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
I'm voting for Obama/Biden.

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2008 :  08:44:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

I think it was the Who...

They played first base, right?

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 10/13/2008 08:45:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2008 :  08:51:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by RJS

I think it is an abuse of this forum to use its member list to spread political opinion.
Has this been happening? I have been somewhat relieved that no heated political discussions have erupted at the 'patch. There is nothing wrong with discussing politics or getting to know each other's views. We're among friends, right?

On the other hand, politics can be a heated and divisive issue. Seems to me that most are set in their beliefs. Perhaps it is like religion. When your're among those who want to have a discussion, a respectful exchange of ideas, it can be great... constructive and truly interesting. If you're talking to someone that is not open to discussion and has the sole mission to "convert" you, no thanks.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2008 :  08:52:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
Political viewpoints, should they be private?

Yes... particularly those of politicians.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2008 :  11:00:15 AM  Show Profile
I will never forget when a lady "accosted" me outside of a store to ask me to sign a petition to get a certain issue on the state ballot. The issue itself was worthy of consideration, but I wanted to know what exactly it was they they were proposing. I asked her what the language of the issue was, hoping she would let me read the proposal
and she looked at me dumbfounded and told me, "Why, it is English."

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2008 :  12:30:31 PM  Show Profile
Wanda, that a bit like going to a train station, asking for a round trip ticket and, when the clerk asks "to where?" responding "back to here, of course."
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2008 :  12:59:47 PM  Show Profile
Eh, Braddah Ed - I wasn't even honorary Pordagee at that time.

What puzzles me in all this politicking stuff is why one guy has to tell me in his ads how bad the other guy is. He will tell me that Candidate X doesn't know anything about the foreign oil situation, but he never tells me instead, this is what I want to see done about the oil situation. Candidate B tells me that the other guy hung around with some free-spending lobbyists and never tells me instead about his independence from outside influences. They always tell you how bad the other guy is instead of telling you specifically what they will do for the country. I am talking about TV ad spots. I know if you dig deep enough you kind find out specific agenda and platform issues, but I would rather their ads be like infomercials than just attacking the othe guy or his running mate or his mama or his wife or his girlfriend or her boyfriend or her pregnant daughter or whatever. Enough already.

I am going to vote for who I think is most pono and who will malama our country.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 10/13/2008 1:00:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2008 :  1:04:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Julie H

I received several emails from other TaroPatch members regarding this or that that political persona or issue.

Hi, Julie. This is a fair concern to bring up.

If anyone sends me e-mail of a nature that I do not want to receive - be it political, religious, sexual, racial, whatever - I find the easiest solution is to respond nicely that I would prefer that they not send me any further messages in that vein. It's a pretty basic solution that works with most people.

If you are concerned about people using the TaroPatch e-mail function (which still keeps your e-mail address private), you can change your profile to not allow people to send you e-mails. If it becomes an ongoing problem, then let Admin Andy know, and he can deal with the offending party.

=Gregg=
Go to Top of Page

braddah jay
Lokahi

235 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2008 :  3:16:58 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hikabe

I'm voting for Obama/Biden.

My son wen laugh wen I said Obama Binladen,just take away the(nla).That's the guys
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2008 :  7:50:02 PM  Show Profile
Here's the thing, Retro,

I want to be able to receive email from folks who can educate me about playing lap steel, concerts around my area, people who want to meet at certain activities, and I prefer not to make my email totally inaccessible.

It would just be nice not to get disparaging info on this or that isuue, this or that candidate. To be fair, I have not received a whole lot of that, but the ones I did get and read were somewhat dissappointing in their message and the negative reaction I experienced.

All in all, I am grateful for this wonderful website.

Aloha, Julie

Edited by - Julie H on 10/13/2008 7:51:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2008 :  05:59:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
While other members can email you though the forum, the good thing is that your email address is not visible to anyone unless you reply back to them. I received a political email but it was not through the forum. I think that I was in their address book already.

Emails sent through the forum will have a subject like "Sent From Taropatch.net by [member name]". Julie, if you still have the email(s), I would be curious to know if it has that subject title meaning that it was indeed sent through Taropatch.net. Just curious.

Ultimately, if anyone ever finds that another member is offending them, please let me know.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2008 :  10:37:24 AM  Show Profile
One reason we have secret elections is so nobody makes a pest of them selves. Too bad the politicians don't grasp that concept. I'm an opinionated old cuss, 'jus ask Auntie. But I don't pester other people with most of it. And I won't tell who I plan to/you oughta vote for. Tell me more about that steel guitar.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000