Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Political viewpoints, should they be private?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2008 :  11:52:04 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hikabe

I'm voting for Obama/Biden.

I'm voting for Tina Fey.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2008 :  1:37:01 PM  Show Profile
I'm voting.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2008 :  1:59:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
One reason we have secret elections is so nobody makes a pest of them selves.

There is an enlightening article on that very subject in the current New Yorker.

Seems we have Oz to thank for secret ballots-- prior to that you could vote only if you made it to the polling place without suffering dire physical harm from the politico gangs.

Kinda puts some of the current rabble rousing and rancor into perspective.

Vote early-- and Vote often!

Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2008 :  5:23:50 PM  Show Profile
Mark -
I grew up in Chicago. Our basement was the local polling place. Our next door neighbor was the precinct captain. When I would come home from college to vote, the polling people alawys asked me how many other people I would help to vote. (Usually they were already dead, so they tended to have a tough time getting to the polling place.) I typically helped 3 people. It was huge fun to go down after the polls closed and they were counting votes - they kept trying to figure out who were the three Republicans in the precinct. True story.
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2008 :  8:45:19 PM  Show Profile
Here are some of the great blessings of this beautiful country:

I can go to my County Supervisors Chambers and get up in front of everybody to express my stupid opinion, and not get shot in the back.

I can go and vote in my town's tiny little library and walk out confident that I will make it out to my car and be able to drive away.

I can hang up on a political canvasser who phones me at 8 AM. (I get to bed around 2 AM)

With so many blessings, the emails I've received seem like a little bump in the road. And yet....

Maybe I'm too sensitive?

Julie
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2008 :  11:02:58 PM  Show Profile
Julie - you have every right to feel the way you do. I think the majority of us share the same opinion and feel intrusiveness if someone e-mails us about their political beliefs. You, having become a naturalized citizen, can see the glories of this country that most of us taken for granted way too much and too often.

Thank you for reminding us what we have here.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2008 :  09:22:41 AM  Show Profile
Hey, get one Hawai'i boy, born here, Punahou, all dat- mos likely goine be da next president of the United States.

If that isn't worth talking about on a Hawai'i talk story forum, I don't know what is. I'm quite surprised there hasn't been far more discussion.

However, getting bombarded with unwanted E-mails is another story. I haven't gotten any through this site, so I suspect if you have there has been other communication with the sender.

One of the great things about this country is freedom of speech. So if someone wants to tell you what they think, that is their right. It is also your right to request that they not contact you any more. That is the tack I would take in this case.
Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2008 :  07:20:33 AM  Show Profile
Well, if dey goin run fo Honolulu City Council, NO USE DA WORD HA-NAH-LOO-LOO on top da TV! Dey dunno wea dey live, so jes' fo DAT, I not goin vote fo dem.

Aloha,
da Poi Dog
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2008 :  08:43:47 AM  Show Profile
Julie, I don't think you're being too sensitive. I'm frankly getting sick of political coverage in the media, but I can at least turn off the radio or skip over those articles in the paper. Having to wade through political emails is annoying and time wasting, even those emails favoring the candidates I plan to vote for and dissing those I don't plan to vote for.
Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2008 :  9:11:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
Unbelievable, the content of some of these posts. As if this great election process is such a bother. As if taropatchers are a society unto itself. People everywhere in america are now expressing themselves about candidates and issues that concern them. That is what it is all about, getting the word out. If you don't like what they're saying, stand up and shout out! Being silent for fear of retribution for supporting a cause you believe in is a form of apathy. If a friend votes different then you, that is not a reason to hate or treat them any different.
Elections happen only once or 4 years and are extremely important. Deal with it. This year's presidential election is the most monumental in history. Get out and participate more then filling out your ballot. Represent. Get the word out by all means available.

And here is the stupidest thing I have ever read as an excuse to vote a certain way....
NO USE DA WORD HA-NAH-LOO-LOO on top da TV! Dey dunno wea dey live, so jes' fo DAT, I not goin vote fo dem.
This statement must be a joke, I hope it is.

Incidently, I have voted in every election for the last 35 years and assume full responsibility for the current state of the union, for better or worse.

Stay Tuned...

Edited by - hikabe on 10/21/2008 9:13:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

P.M. JR.
Akahai

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2008 :  11:46:38 PM  Show Profile
MUSICIANS should be judged solely by their talent, overall performance, excellence, and mastery of their craft; not by their personal views on politics. To judge a musician by his/her political view(s) is just like judging the finished work of an artist based on what kind of clothes he wears or what kind of foods he eats.

Peter W.K. Moon
Go to Top of Page

braddah jay
Lokahi

235 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2008 :  11:47:39 PM  Show Profile
quote:

Unbelievable, the content of some of these posts. .
And here is the stupidest thing I have ever read as an excuse to vote a certain way....
NO USE DA WORD HA-NAH-LOO-LOO on top da TV! Dey dunno wea dey live, so jes' fo DAT, I not goin vote fo dem.

I believe that's called freedom of speech.Yet you call it "stupid"
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2008 :  05:56:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:

This statement must be a joke, I hope it is.

I actually consider this a perfectly valid reason not to vote for someone who's running for city council. If you don't have enough respect for the city that you can't pronounce the name properly then that says a lot about how you're going to treat it when you're making decisions that affect it. Even if you disagree, as you said elsewhere in your post:
quote:

If a friend votes different then you, that is not a reason to hate or treat them any different.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 10/22/2008 05:57:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2008 :  06:42:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
I don't agree with Peter. A musician is not just a musician and should be judged by every aspect of their lives. If you are judging a musician for a grammy or other award, then you can ignore the person and scrutinize their work only.

People who pronounce ukulele as yukulele are still good people and treat ukulele music the same. Arnold can't pronounce CA but is doing the best he can(argh). The person complaining about Honolulu being mispronounced can't even spell the word them. If he talks like he writes, the argument is moot.

I take credit along with the million others that vote and help to set policy in this country. This is a jibe to those who don't vote but complain a lot.

I do take credit sometimes. But you will never see me bragging about how incredible I am, because I am way to humble for that.

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2008 :  07:04:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:

But you will never see me bragging about how incredible I am, because I am way to humble for that.
I think I'm finally beginning to understand your humor, Hiram.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000