Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Political viewpoints, should they be private?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2008 :  07:44:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
Arnold can't pronounce CA but is doing the best he can(argh).

Actually, Arnold is one of the few who pronounces it properly...

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2008 :  08:34:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by hikabe

The person complaining about Honolulu being mispronounced can't even spell the word them. If he talks like he writes, the argument is moot.

See http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6846

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2008 :  09:39:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:

The person complaining about Honolulu being mispronounced can't even spell the word them. If he talks like he writes, the argument is moot.
- - - - - - - -
...I am way to humble for that.
BTW, in this context, the word is spelled "too."
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2008 :  10:36:02 AM  Show Profile
E believe what you like and express it in the voting booth. Shout it from the mountain tops but we don't have to criticize those with whom we disagree. Like Jay says there is freedom of speech but there is also freedom from speech. You don'ts got to listen to any body. Just walk away, change the channel or turn off the radio. But calling others stupid is rude and stupid. Heh,heh,heh.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2008 :  12:58:17 PM  Show Profile
Me, I vote too. And I post countless pages on why I think I am voting for the right person, and discuss it with anyone remotely interested. But I won't take responsibility for the state of the Union, the state of the State, or even the state of the County- because no one I have ever voted for has won.

This year is going to be different- I am so sick of what has been shoved down our throats that I am voting a straight ticket- and yes, the Hawai'i boy at the top of the ticket is going to win...
Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2008 :  1:47:46 PM  Show Profile
quote:

And here is the stupidest thing I have ever read as an excuse to vote a certain way....
NO USE DA WORD HA-NAH-LOO-LOO on top da TV! Dey dunno wea dey live, so jes' fo DAT, I not goin vote fo dem.
This statement must be a joke, I hope it is.

Waz wun joke. I live Maui...No can wote fo Honolulu City Council. Sheesh.

Aloha,
da Poi Dog
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2008 :  2:00:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by PoiDog

quote:

And here is the stupidest thing I have ever read as an excuse to vote a certain way....
NO USE DA WORD HA-NAH-LOO-LOO on top da TV! Dey dunno wea dey live, so jes' fo DAT, I not goin vote fo dem.
This statement must be a joke, I hope it is.

I'm still not voting for them. (Whoever they are.)

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 10/22/2008 2:01:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2008 :  2:01:21 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by PoiDog

Can tell you from Maui brah, from da way you wen spell dat word up deyah.

Eedah dat or you stay missing your front teets.
Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2008 :  2:11:01 PM  Show Profile
quote:

I nevah try spell them...Sometimes I talk li dat, depending on who I wit an whea I ste...most times not. Was wun joke...WTFITBFD!
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

quote:

...I am way to humble for that.
BTW, in this context, the word is spelled "too."

quote:
Originally posted by guavasunrise

Can tell you from Maui brah, from da way you wen spell dat word up deyah.

Eedah dat or you stay missing your front teets.

Sweet da guawa from da big chree down by da riwa! I tink I wen agitate (How's DAT fo one word?) some peeps on hea...Nuff awreddy. To too two tu!

Aloha,
da Poi Dog

Edited by - PoiDog on 10/22/2008 2:32:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2008 :  3:13:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
E, I tryin fo learn how fo tex. I rememba english lidat n I no BFD no stand fo Buffalo Fiah Department. FD equals FriDay.

So, is diz rite? WTFITBFD equals Wen Try Fut In The Bed FriDay? Oa would be mo correc if was FDWTFITB -- FriDay Wen Try Fut In The Bed? Oa mebbe would be mobeta if you neva fut in bed anden but was doing someting mo productive like counting coconuts so it would be WTCCITBFD = Wen Try Count Coconuts In The Bed FriDay.

But you no would be even mobeta IYGNGTS -- If You Guyz No Get Too Serious. Jus go vote no need advertise. You like me try again?

Edited by - Peter Medeiros on 10/22/2008 4:05:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2008 :  6:14:05 PM  Show Profile
OK,

I have no fear of people becoming too serious here.

My quandary was purely whether the expression of political opinions and leanings are fodder for sharing with others, even when we don't really know these folks except for this forum or an occasional workshop in common.

I've lived in this country for 48 years, but this is the first presidential election for me. So I don't really know what's acceptable in this society, having never participated in this kind of debate. There was no need before, I couldn't vote anyway. And so while I could not vote, I did not complain. On the contrary, I feel very fortunate to be able to live in this country. Try this in Afghanistan or Iran, and your head will roll. Literally.

You folks may make fun of me all you want, I have a pretty thick skin. I merely wanted to find out more about what's acceptable and what is not...

Julie
Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2008 :  7:04:10 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Julie H

Aloha everyone,

I hate to even touch upon this subject, but I started thinking after I received several emails from other TaroPatch members regarding this or that that political persona or issue.

With the presidential election looming, there are plenty of opinions and preferences out there. However, I have found that while I love and care for many musicians I've met, it kind of puts a kink in my opinion of them when they shower me with information that I may not agree with. I find that it also changes my perception of them, and my feelings toward them. That is an unfortunate by-product.

This is my first presidential election. Although I've lived in this country for 48 years, I only became a citizen two years ago, and am looking forward to participating in something that many people the world over covet. Scores of people would die for this privilege, and I'm going to take full advantage of this most precious gift.

I am usually open to shared information, but I kind of prefer to think of my musical friends as just that: friends. While I appreciate everyone's individuality and everyone's right to their opinion, I'm wondering if we could just keep the political stuff to a bare minimum in order to preserve the impartiality we now enjoy. If you are considering emailing me something about this or that politician, please reconsider. I am working on making up my own mind at this time.

With aloha, Julie

Shoots...Ya got it. BTW, everything I posted was meant to be not taken seriously. If I offended, I apologize. An dat goes fo ere'body!

Aloha,
da Poi Dog
Go to Top of Page

P.M. JR.
Akahai

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2008 :  10:34:30 PM  Show Profile
In response to and with all due respect to Mr. "hikabe", my stand in this subject is that in judging a MUSICIAN on topics irrelevant to his/her vocation (such as politics), you undermine his/her main goal as a MUSICIAN which is to work to reach his/her potential; to master his/her craft and to strive for personal excellence through vision, focus, persistence, determination, and discipline. It is only when one labels a MUSICIAN as an ENTERTAINER that the outlook upon a MUSICIAN can be ethically changed as an ENTERTAINER'S goal is to idealy entertain/connect with a 3rd party or an audience whether it be of direct or indirect cause or influence. We can agree to disagree on this issue but I would feel it awkward if I did not state my opinion with earnest effort.

With respect,

Peter W.K. Moon

Peter W.K. Moon
Go to Top of Page

braddah jay
Lokahi

235 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2008 :  9:56:21 PM  Show Profile
There's been alot of musicians who had personal problems,bad habits,and probably didn't even vote.Their contribution was in there music,that's how they spoke,that's how they touched those that listened.So to say musicians should be judged in all aspects is really not fair.There are those that use their superstar status to bring attention to inhumane condition and treatment to an international level,great.If someone doesn't measure up to a so called bar that we set,oh well.But if they don't vote,yet grumble,well that's worthy of judgement and should be corrected.And yes my wife and I are voters.
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  11:34:24 AM  Show Profile
As for fut in bed, sometimes it happens. But fut in bed and pull the covers over spouse's head, you're looking for pilikia. Best not to go there.
Politicians should be changed like diapers-and for the same reason. But in as little as 6 months, and almost never longer than a year, a whole bunch of supporters suddenly don't like their favorite any more. That's about all I got to say about poli-ticks.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000