Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Shameless Non-musical Promotion
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2008 :  1:01:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
Aloha Kakou

Seems like I mostly only have time to check in every once in a while and lurk around the patch anymore. Haven't posted a new topic in a long time, but I wanted to put this out there to you all.

Since I started my slack key journey, I have met a lot of tuned-in (if tuned down), passionate people, among the hawaiian music devotees I have met, who are interested in wide variety of things. Thought some of you might be interested in checking out our foundation's new website. It just went live, and I know there are a things that are not yet fully functional. I'd be interested if you have any feedback. (hope the link works)

http://springrivers.org

Mahalo nui

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2008 :  05:11:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
Beautiful Web site and wonderful project good luck I have never been to that part of the country but it looks amazing.

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2008 :  09:20:28 AM  Show Profile
This is a wonderful website with a great message. But I have to admit my bias. As a teenager I spent a few glorious summers in the shadow of Shasta, fishing Hat Creek and environs.

Mahalo Jeff and Maria.

Larry

Edited by - Larry Goldstein on 10/31/2008 09:21:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2008 :  3:10:56 PM  Show Profile
Great web site and a terrific project. I see you even sneaked in a picture of you with the guitar there!

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2008 :  05:23:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
Mahalo for the feedback.

The picture of me with the guitar (and the ever-so-flattering profile!) was not intended for that location. My website designer, whose husband is currently building a guitar for me, put it there unbeknownst to me. That's what I get for not supplying any better photos for the bios... It was taken during one of our field trips, and I figured it might end up in a field trip gallery. I had to tune up to standard (actually down a couple of step, hey that counts as slack key!); my team decided that we should incorporate some Banana Slug String Band music into the field trip. I have to say the music was a huge hit with the kids. Kids spontaneously picked up sticks to keep the beat, and we even had the little tough guys singing along to "Dirt Made My Lunch."

Thanks again.

Jeff

Edited by - JeffC on 11/02/2008 7:09:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2008 :  06:53:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
What a wonderful thing you are doing. Mahalos for sharing your vision with us.

So I suppose you don't teach the kids to sing, "You get a line & I'll get a pole, llet's go down to the crawdad hole..."

Edited by - Mark on 11/01/2008 06:54:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2008 :  07:45:43 AM  Show Profile
Good stuff. I am proud to know you and wish you great success. Maybe someday we'll get to meet again and we can jam in slack standard. Why did I think you were in Colorado?

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2008 :  10:01:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
And thanks Mark and Al for your feedback.

Funny thing, Mark, we actually worked to get the fishing regulations changed so that people now can fish (trap) for crawdads up here. Some areas are off limits, but the whole area was closed to crawdad fishing, which only served to help make things better for the invasive species that is taking over; it wasn't helping the native species, either directly or from a public relations standpoint. We were getting (still do) people all the time insisting that the native crayfish can't be endangered because they see it everywhere, all the time. What they are seeing is the introduced crayfish (Native to Oregon and Washington, but not here). It ends up helping our cause to have people be able to trap and eat'em!

Making sure the native aquatic species have a chance to survive is work we feel strongly about, but I have to say working with children and getting them outside and seeing their faces and minds light up is some of the most fun stuff we get to do. So far none of the foundation work pays any bills; we still have to work hard at our "day jobs," but the foundation work is picking up steam.

Al, not sure why you had a Colorado connection for me. I sure like the parts of Colorado I'm familiar with, but I'm a native CA boy. Grew up in St. Helena in the Napa Valley. Home of the soon to be world famous Napa Valley Uke Fest some of you attended and have been waxing poetic about! Unfortunatley, I wasn't able to get back for that one. I did get to take Cyril's workshop in Napa about a month earlier. I'll welcome the opportunity to play with you any time we can make it happen, Al!

Again, Mahalo for the good thoughts.

Jeff

Edited by - JeffC on 11/02/2008 7:11:18 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000