Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Sad News about Aloha Music Camp
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Allen M Cary
Lokahi

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  07:35:20 AM  Show Profile
As I'm sure others have, I just received the letter from Keola and Mark about the status of the Aloha Music Camp. I was saddened to here that this February's will be the last for at least a while. Please join me in offering our support for its return in some form as soon as possible. It will be sorely missed by all of us who have experienced the wonderful 'ohana.
Allen

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  9:34:12 PM  Show Profile
Allen,

Eventhough I had some prior warning from the Beamers, this announcement was so very unsettling that I instantly got online and made my reservations for February. I had been planning on going in June. I do hope to see some wonderful old friends, especially some I met at the very first Aloha Music Camp on the Big Island. Reid, Sarah, Ilio Nui? Let's make it a grand reunion.

I believe the forces that have been at work all this time to bring us AMC will continue to foster that concept that music and culture are to be shared. Let's all keep good thoughts...

Julie
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2008 :  04:15:52 AM  Show Profile
Dear Julie, it would be a lovely idea to reunite where we started. But, financial losses of funds that we live on have been enormous. We are hunkering down as never before, and only the occasional, foolish (in this context) frivolity lightens the gloom. We have even contemplated selling some of our custom guitars, but the bottom has dropped out of that market too. So, we might as well play them as give them away. Hawai`i, except for Sarah's language classes from Hilo, and music, is only a memory of a dream.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2008 :  04:40:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Can someone post a copy of the letter to this thread?

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2008 :  05:17:04 AM  Show Profile
Julie, I had also been planning on June, but sadly February doesn't seem possible - too soon to scrape together the money and get the PTO. I wasn't expecting this - I am quite flustered. And I also haven't received the letter - a posted copy would be greatly appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2008 :  07:31:54 AM  Show Profile
Debbie, Julie, Reid, Craig....Aloha!

Kinda sad to read this to say the least. Things always change I guess, AMC is not immune.

That said, I know the wonderful folks on this forum will find a way to pull something off in the interim.

Cheers!

Mike

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2008 :  10:20:34 PM  Show Profile

I assume Mark can post a copy of the announcement. I would not feel comfortable doing it, it should go through the right channels.

Julie
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  1:35:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Aue! I too would like more details if anyone cares to share. If not, dat maika'i too... mahaloz.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Lokahi

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  3:00:23 PM  Show Profile
Maybe Mark's not where he can get to the web? My wife and I are signed up for the June camp, but have not heard anything, nor is anything posted on the AMC website. If we hadn't already plunked down some money on a condo rental for the week after AMC was to end, we would switch to February, too. I really enjoyed the camp at Kaupoa this past February and was really looking forward to going again, this time with Jan along.

Ah, well, maybe I can find some kanis or concerts.

Mālama pono
Ben
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  3:22:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Ben

nor is anything posted on the AMC website.

The link to the June camp info page says:
"Due to economic uncertainty we are not taking reservations for June 2009. We regret any inconvenience this may cause. Please join us for our February, 2009 camp."

I'm sure Mark will be in touch with you, Ben - he's probably got a lot of administrative stuff to deal with at the moment. I hope you'll be able to make your trip an enjoyable one anyway - as I'm sure you will. You know you can count on the TP `ohana to feed you ideas as it gets closer to your travel dates.
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Lokahi

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  11:27:31 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Retro
["Due to economic uncertainty we are not taking reservations for June 2009. We regret any inconvenience this may cause. Please join us for our February, 2009 camp."

I'm sure Mark will be in touch with you, Ben - he's probably got a lot of administrative stuff to deal with at the moment. I hope you'll be able to make your trip an enjoyable one anyway - as I'm sure you will. You know you can count on the TP `ohana to feed you ideas as it gets closer to your travel dates.

Oops. Saw the 'registration open' on the home page and didn't go any farther. Thanks, Retro. And I hope I didn't come across as slamming Mark; merely surprised not to have heard from him here since he's usually pretty quick on his posting. And, yes we expect to have a good time anyway. Since we will have just over two weeks, we plan to do some island hopping and get in some activities we would otherwise not have time for.

Cheers.

Mālama pono
Ben
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  07:40:46 AM  Show Profile

I/We will also miss the Aloha Music Camp. We attended the first two in Puna on Mokupuni Nui and had a great time. Met this guy there named Andy who said he was going to start a web site for Slack Key and call it something like Taropatch.net. Also met his pretty girlfriend named Lynette who is now his wife and they have an extra-cute kid as well.

Met and made friends with lotsa other folks too: Nona and Kaliko and Herb and not the least of which was House. (already knew Mark and Annie and Keola).

But I had to switch jobs and thereby gave up much vacation time resulting less time for workshops, etc.

Wishing Mark and Keola and O'hana good luck in the near future.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2008 :  02:30:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Any way us TPers could help bring it back possibly?

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2008 :  09:23:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Aloha all -

I have had my head stuck in the studio for the past weeks and missed this thread.

On November 21st we mailed a letter to past and present attendees of the Aloha Camps explaining that, due to the dire economic situation, we would be suspending operations after the February Camp. We are in the process of contacting those few who signed up for June to offer refunds.

The bottom line is this: tourism in Hawaii is suffering the worst downturn in a generation. The Aloha Music Camp is not immune to the same forces that have decimated the visitor industry.

We did not want to make a public announcement for various reasons -- indeed, we still do not wish to do so. That is why there is nothing beyond the cryptic notice on the website.

We also did not want any of our group to learn the news via a rumor or third-party post somewhere. That appears to have happened, for which I apologize.

I realize that it is difficult to withhold one's curiosity and speculation; suffice it to say we are working on options to get moving again once things turn around. We will be making a general announcement -- most likely after the first of the New Year. So I humbly ask readers of this post to not contact the press or spread the story beyond the 'Patch.

We also ask that you give us time to work--it may not be possible to answer calls and e-mails in a timely fashion. Nor can I take the time to respond to the many wonderful suggestions TaroPatchers may wish to offer here.

So what can you do? Why not come to the camp in February and celebrate the wonderful dream that is the Aloha Music Camp?

And if that is not an option-- then gather with your friends to sing, dance and play your guitar and `ukulele.

As I have often said at the Closing Ceremony-- the Aloha Camp continues all year round-- we can visit every time we share music.

Imua.

Mark Kailana Nelson
Aloha Music Camp
Go to Top of Page

Allen M Cary
Lokahi

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2008 :  2:42:00 PM  Show Profile
Mark,
Sorry to have posted this thread, but if not here, where?
Allen
Go to Top of Page

Rich_Smith
Lokahi

USA
242 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2008 :  07:19:09 AM  Show Profile
As a lower cost alternative for those in the Northwest, perhaps we can convince Puget Sound Guitar Workshop to run a Slack-key track at their summer camps? Mark, have you considered that?

Rich Smith
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000