Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Tenor Uke -- Octave G -- Yes or no? -- Poll?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

CipherMeister
Aloha

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  4:55:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit CipherMeister's Homepage
Hi;
I'm still finding conflicting opinions/practices regarding the Tenor Ukulele tuning. Some say to use an Octave high G string, some say use Low G (more like Guitar or Baritone uke). Is there a standard? What do you folks use for Tenor uke?

Thanks
Roger

http://www.TheCipher.com
"Blumberg's Music Theory Cipher
for Guitar and other Stringed Instruments"
[Free online tutorials for Guitar, Bass,
Mandolin, Banjo, Ukulele, and more]

Kahalenahele
Lokahi

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  5:37:56 PM  Show Profile
Mine came in low-G. Due to the peculiarities of resonator instruments, it's got a funny resonance when I play an A on the low-G. I restrung with high-G strings, and I find I prefer the sound and tone much better. I think re-entrant tuning is pretty cool - I like the tighter chords.
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  6:21:27 PM  Show Profile
And I prefer the low G. I've heard that low G is more the norm in Hawaii. On other ukulele forums a low G is fighting words! I have a book on slack key ukulele; iirc the 1st string is tuned down from A to G. Standards? Ha ha!

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Kahalenahele
Lokahi

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  6:55:27 PM  Show Profile
Pauline, what's the slack key ukulele book?
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  7:52:49 PM  Show Profile
I use a low G on my 4 string tenor. Sheila has been using a low G on her soprano since aloha camp last Aug.

Dusty

Edited by - wdf on 04/09/2003 7:53:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  12:06:00 AM  Show Profile
<perk> slack Key 'ukulele book?
Does that come in Baritone flavor?
Tell us all, Pauline!!! Mahalo.

cathe
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  01:52:48 AM  Show Profile
Aloha,

The book is How to Play Slack Key Ukulele by Heeday Kimura, c.1986, ISBN 0-917822-17-X. It's short, 22 pages, and discusses just one tuning (low GCEG), is fingerstyle with a little strumming, has some vamp runs and endings, has chimes exercises, and includes about 6 songs. I have to admit I haven't studied it much, although it looks like it's worth it. Heeday's notation system and beat indications are something I struggle with.

I ordered it from, I think, Elderly. They had a number of books on sale, possibly a close-out.

Cathe, I think the music and concepts could easily be transposed to baritone tunings.

Pauline

Edited by - Pauline Leland on 04/10/2003 01:57:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

CipherMeister
Aloha

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  07:29:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit CipherMeister's Homepage
Thanks everyone so far.

>I've heard that low G is more the norm in Hawaii.

Any Ideas how I might verify that Pauline? Any other good Uke boards perhaps? Any actually in hawaii maybe? Anyone?

Keep um commin

Thanks
Roger

http://www.TheCipher.com
"Blumberg's Music Theory Cipher
for Guitar and other Stringed Instruments"
[Free online tutorials for Guitar, Bass,
Mandolin, Banjo, Ukulele, and more]
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  09:47:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
My observation is that the low G is probably the norm in Hawai`i - for tenor `ukuleles, anyway.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  11:59:24 AM  Show Profile
My tenor is strung with low G and I keep the 1st string in g, too. That way the fingering is just Taro Patch as if it were a guitar capoed at the 5th fret. Mostly I use the uke for discovering melodies and licks that I then can tab and use on a guitar (on which my thumb knows what to do, unlike when I "play" the uke :-). The nice thing about the uke, is that I can recline on the sofa, fool around and have my spine be comfy.

About the Low G being the norm in Hawai`i: Hilo Luthier David Hurd's web pages say that, and explain that the air resonance of the tenor is very near that frequency. So, if you take him as an authority, and he probably is, then that is a form of verification.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2003 :  01:03:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
On the topic of low-G tuning, a couple of questions...
Is the low G usually a wound string? Does anyone know what size that string is? I'd like to scrounge through my pile of uke strings and try to find something close so I can try low G before I go buy a whole set for my Kamaka concert.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

oaklandslacker
Aloha

China
47 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2003 :  05:11:45 AM  Show Profile
Low G will be a wound string. Don't know the gauge though.

My question is: will a fluke play a wound string OK? It has the plastic fretboard and I suspect it might not...dunnow.
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2003 :  11:17:09 AM  Show Profile
Oaklandslacker,

A poster on the Fleamarketmusic.com BB reported fret wear using a wound string. The frets are so short anyway, I'd hate to have perceptible wear on them.

BTW and IIRC, the upcharge for a wood fretboard with metal frets is $75. Someone sent their Fluke back to the makers to have the plastic board replaced with wood and the charge was also about $75.

Pauline

Edited by - Pauline Leland on 04/11/2003 11:18:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tim M
Aloha

6 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2003 :  11:57:38 PM  Show Profile
Last summer on the Big Island out of the dozen or so tenors I saw played, most all were in high G tuning. I certainly came back with the impression that that was the norm.

TM
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2003 :  12:11:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
IMHO, the high G is what makes a uke sound like a uke (that and the small body resonance), especially when strummed solo, and it helps it stand out from the guitar when played together. I'd never heard low G played until I was trying to tab out Iz's "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and figured out my uke was missing something. Low G gives you more options for picking, obviously, but doesn't have the distinctive plinkiness I associate with the instrument.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2003 :  01:03:05 AM  Show Profile
Recently, someone posted that high G is used because it gives a similar sound on both the upstrum and downstrum. So where ukes are mainly strummed, you'll find mostly reentrant tuning. Where they are fingerpicked, you'll find mostly low tuning.

Good theory, huh? I wonder if it holds water.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000