Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Tenor Uke -- Octave G -- Yes or no? -- Poll?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Tim M
Aloha

6 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2003 :  6:09:21 PM  Show Profile
Jake only uses high G tuning.
Go to Top of Page

CipherMeister
Aloha

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  11:54:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit CipherMeister's Homepage
Thanks for the insights everyone. I think I'll have to add some more qualifiers to the coverage at my site, e.g. distinguishing between fingerstyle and chording etc.

I agree that high-G gives the quintisential uke sound, and specifically I think the smaller concert body gives the truest. But I'm wondering, when there's no guitar, and a few or many ukes, whether some bass, some bottum, wouldn't be a good thing. Then the concert would really stand out better, no?

And I agree with Pauline re the "similar sound on up and down stroke" being the key, the charmer, litterally ;')

Thanks again
Roger

http://www.TheCipher.com
"Blumberg's Music Theory Cipher
for Guitar and other Stringed Instruments"
[Free online tutorials for Guitar, Bass,
Mandolin, Banjo, Ukulele, and more]
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  12:38:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
Is this low "G" string a contemporary thing? I can't recall any ukuleles strung with a low "G" string while growing up here in Hawaii. I do own one though and find playing it quite interesting.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2003 :  3:11:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I had a really nice email exchange with David C. Hurd of Kawika `Ukuleles in Hilo. What a genuinely nice and knowlegeable guy. You may find this page at Kawika's site interesting.

http://www.ukuleles.com/SetupnCare/TenorTune.html

Has anyone tried "Savarez Alliance" strings on their `ukulele? Kawika tells me he strings up many of his instruments with this brand. Judging by what I see at his site, I assume he has done a lot of testing and evaulating.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

enr1co
Aloha

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  3:26:57 PM  Show Profile
After attending the excellent workshop with Brian Tolentino and Chris Kamaka last Sat, Ive been anxious to try out playing with
the low G.

Brian prefers the low G as it allows him more versatility in
his playing style, ie jazz chord phrasing, descending chord
patterns. He plays fingerstyle leads as well as rhythmn strumming
and the ukulele "sound" is still retained.

One of the takeaways from the workshop will be to try using
the top four strings from a std classical guitar set of strings
on my Kamaka tenor.

The tone produced by the guitar strings tuned to G (low) C, E. A
sounded much rounder and full.
Brian uses Savarez med tension nylon classical strings and mentioned that Jake Shimabukuro also tunes to low G and uses nylon classical guitar strings on his ukuleles - D'addario Pro Artes.

enrico
Go to Top of Page

Tim M
Aloha

6 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  2:16:30 PM  Show Profile
Jake Shimabukuro only uses high G tuning. He explains why in a Honolulu Star- Bulletin interview:

"And although Shimabukuro is widely known for his willingness to push the envelope and experiment with distortion pedals and other guitar- based technology, he said that one of the things that made the Paganini piece so difficult was his determination to do it using the standard G-C-E-A (a k a "my dog has fleas") tuning.

"I could have changed the tuning to make some of the parts a lot easier, but I wanted to keep in the the standard tuning because I wanted people to know that you can do this on an 'ukulele. Some people prefer using the low G, but I'm against that because I feel that takes away from the uniqueness of the instrument. The octave high G gives the chord voicing the very unique sound which every one immediately recognizes as an 'ukulele. When you have a low G, the voicing you play can be easily mimicked by a classical guitar. That one string makes all the difference in the world. I know people like to use (the low G) because you get a fuller range, but I truly believe in just working with the instrument and trying to be as creative and innovative as you possibly can. To me that's what makes it special."

Read the full article at: http://starbulletin.com/2002/10/22/features/story3.html
Go to Top of Page

CipherMeister
Aloha

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  9:03:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit CipherMeister's Homepage
Hi again, (this is Roger, the guy who started this thread)

For what it's worth, I just bought a Tenor Uke yesterday and really love the octave G it came with. Definately gives that quintessential Hawaiian sound. It's also very "Harp-like" angelic, and often Peruvian in sound (to me). I bought a low G to play around with later.

THe Uke is a Lanikai brand, 14th fret meets body, Koa, nice neck, price reduced from $200. to $159. at the last minute ;')

Thanks
Roger

http://www.TheCipher.com
"Blumberg's Music Theory Cipher
for Guitar and other Stringed Instruments"
[Free online tutorials for Guitar, Bass,
Mandolin, Banjo, Ukulele, and more]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly