Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Advice on Islands Music
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jimmie
Aloha

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  08:29:41 AM  Show Profile
My wife and I are vacationing in Hawaii in March of this year and, as a steel guitar player and fan of traditional Hawaiian music, I'd like to catch as much of the same as possible while we're there. I would greatly appreciate advice as to where we should stay (what island); best places for steel guitar and ukulele music; best music stores to visit. Many thanks.

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  9:59:13 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmie

My wife and I are vacationing in Hawaii in March of this year and, as a steel guitar player and fan of traditional Hawaiian music, I'd like to catch as much of the same as possible while we're there. I would greatly appreciate advice as to where we should stay (what island); best places for steel guitar and ukulele music; best music stores to visit. Many thanks.

IMHO, if you are coming to Hawaii for music, you definitely should come to Oahu. Thumbstruck & I are here now, staying in Kailua on the Windward Side, just 20 minutes from Waikiki via the Pali Highway. The Moana Terrace at the Waikiki Mariott has Auntie Genoa's group featuring Alan Akaka on steel Thursday evenings and Martin Pahinui, George Kuo and Aaron Mahi with Bobby Ingano on steel on Sunday late afternnon. The House Without a Key has the Hiram Olsen Trio with either Casey Olsen or Jeff Au Hoy on steel a couple of evenings a week. The second Sunday of the month is Steel Guitar Sunday at the Outrigger. The Abrigo ohana runs a kanikapila once a month - check the Kanekapila page for more info. We've jammed every day since we've been here with TP buddies. We paid $750 for a one bedroom bungalow for a week, and we're next door to Doug Fitch. We played with Led Kaapana Sunday at the Kona Brewery in Hawaii Kai, and we jammed with Sir Duke, Braddah Jay, Ozzie Kotani and other friends this afternoon in Honolulu. It goes on & on. There is music on the other islands, particularly Maui & the Big sland, but not nearly as much as here.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Jimmie
Aloha

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2009 :  05:25:21 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Jack. Could you let me know about that $750 rental? And what about music stores that local musicians use? It sounds as though you're having the time of your life.
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2009 :  5:24:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Well, the only island I've been to thus far is Maui, although I am going to the Big Island in February. But on Maui, Borders and the Lahaina Cannery Mall have great selections of Hawaiian music.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

Doug Fitch
Akahai

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  12:37:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Doug Fitch's Homepage
Hi Jimmie and Alika, I really enjoyed having Thumbstruck and Slipry staying right next door to me here in Kailua. We had a good time pickin' and grinnin'. My neighbors Kay and daughter Brenda run the B&B.
http://www.kaysvacations.com/
"Alii" house is immediately next door to me and "Awakea" house is immediately across the street. Call them up and tell them I sent you!
As far as music stores, in Kailua there's Hungry Ear (CDs etc) and Coconut Grove Music (next door to Hungry Ear) for guitars etc. Both great little stores. In Wahiawa, the awesome HI Music Supply with coffee bar/music venue next door (Higher Grounds). Both are owned by friends Andrew and Jen Kitakis. Andrews Dad and bro make 'ukuleles just down the street (Ko'olau 'ukulele). Island Guitars and Dan's Guitars and Easy Music and Good Guys all downtown are really good places too. Hope this helps! Aloha and hope to see you soon to meet, and kanikapila! Doug
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  01:01:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Fitch

Hi Jimmie and Alika, I really enjoyed having Thumbstruck and Slipry staying right next door to me here in Kailua. We had a good time pickin' and grinnin'. My neighbors Kay and daughter Brenda run the B&B.
http://www.kaysvacations.com/
"Alii" house is immediately next door to me and "Awakea" house is immediately across the street. Call them up and tell them I sent you!
As far as music stores, in Kailua there's Hungry Ear (CDs etc) and Coconut Grove Music (next door to Hungry Ear) for guitars etc. Both great little stores. In Wahiawa, the awesome HI Music Supply with coffee bar/music venue next door (Higher Grounds). Both are owned by friends Andrew and Jen Kitakis. Andrews Dad and bro make 'ukuleles just down the street (Ko'olau 'ukulele). Island Guitars and Dan's Guitars and Easy Music and Good Guys all downtown are really good places too. Hope this helps! Aloha and hope to see you soon to meet, and kanikapila! Doug

Mahalo, Doug. If I go to O'ahu, I'll keep those in mind.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  09:59:31 AM  Show Profile
quote:

Not to mention being next door to Doug, hwo is a great guy and fine picker! A definite plus!

keaka
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  1:44:23 PM  Show Profile
Doesn't Aunty Irgard's daughter or someone of her `ohana live on the same street, too?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  1:50:01 PM  Show Profile
Jack - do ya gotta do the cleaning up yourself? What about things like towels and washcloths, etc.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  3:40:14 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Doesn't Aunty Irgard's daughter or someone of her `ohana live on the same street, too?

Yes. Her daughter, Mahina, who tends bar at Buzz's btw - fine MaiTais -, came over to Doug's on her bicycle, toting her Martin in one hand while steering with the other, & jammed with us. Of course, we played "Pua Mana" and "Baby Kalei". Mom was busy.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  3:42:49 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Jack - do ya gotta do the cleaning up yourself? What about things like towels and washcloths, etc.

Got fresh towels every day; just picked 'em up from the linen storage. Swept up our messes, but I think someone came by to sweep. We made our own beds. There's coin-op washers to use, too. It was fine for me.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  4:10:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
Hi Jimmy,
I keep a list of Big Island music events and musicians at http://www.konaweb.com/musicians/events.shtml
If you end up on the Big Island, get in touch with me. I love steel - I have 5 of them, and would like to get
together if you get a chance.
Aloha,
-Konabob

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  4:15:24 PM  Show Profile
quote:

As far as music stores, in Kailua there's Hungry Ear (CDs etc) and Coconut Grove Music (next door to Hungry Ear) for guitars etc. Both great little stores.

Retro and I know one of the owners of the Hungry Ear - Denny. He's a great guy, a friend of a friend in Gregg's American Radio Theater troupe (see Retro's thread in Events/Performance Announcements). He and his business partner bought the store, which is a local institution.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
521 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  06:25:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage
We really like Kaua'i as an overall vacation island. And while there, we highly recommend going all the way out to Hanalei and sitting in on Doug & Sandy McMaster's Friday and Sunday shows at the community center. We liked them so much that we hit three of them during a ten day visit.
Go to Top of Page

Jimmie
Aloha

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2009 :  08:53:41 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all very much indeed. Looks as though we'll be busy -- and happy -- during our brief visit.
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2009 :  10:45:14 AM  Show Profile
Jimmie,

All the islands have music, great music...but in terms of being able to hear a lot, I think O'ahu's your best bet.

--Mark
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000