Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Southern California Slack Key Festival
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

justinalderfer
Aloha

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  6:44:25 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Oukou, was just wondering about taro patchers in SoCal coming together for 2nd annual slack key festival http://www.socalslackkeyfest.com/. Sounds like workshop with Cyril Pahinui is a day before the concert unlike last year. Who's in?

ka loku mele kaona

basilking
Lokahi

124 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  8:41:58 PM  Show Profile
Geez, looks like it's better'n 1/2 sold out already. Still can get nose-bleed seats though. I might try the Sat workshop.

Edited by - basilking on 01/08/2009 8:42:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1019 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2009 :  05:27:13 AM  Show Profile
I'll be there, but I'm skipping the workshop. Going to Makaha Sons show in Whittier on Saturday. This is a great weekend for Hawaiian music; only one trip from San Diego to catch two great shows
Go to Top of Page

cyril
Lokahi

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2009 :  12:24:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit cyril's Homepage
Aloha gang...I am in for the workshop!

Then we can kanikapila as long as you like play....

See you there Cyril

Cyril Pahinui
cyril.cyrilpahinui.com

Edited by - cyril on 01/10/2009 12:25:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  1:02:18 PM  Show Profile
Bla is coming right?
~slkho
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  2:10:43 PM  Show Profile
I asked Kathleen about it when we first learned that Cyril was coming and she told me Bla is not traveling. I thought you meant you would be going North Shore O`ahu and meeting up with him there.

But if he changed his mind and decided to come, how cool that is, and a special treat for you California folks. Especially sweet, kind Rik.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  08:02:09 AM  Show Profile
...Oh? I thought all three brothers were performing.... I'll check with Mitch...that'd be disappointing if Bla didn't attend.
Nope, I was unable to meet (find) him on Oahu....Kathleen never replied to me if we could meet. :-( I won't be back on Oahu until 2010 sadly....hoping Bla was coming here.
Sigh!! ... one day...one day
Go to Top of Page

JimC
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  1:50:49 PM  Show Profile
Any reports on how this show turned out ?

Jim
http://www.ohanahulasupply.com
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  2:28:03 PM  Show Profile
There are soome vids on You Tube of Makana.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  7:17:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Wish I could have been there. Sounds like it was fun.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  08:17:49 AM  Show Profile
It was a very enjoyable festival. Barry Flanagan, Jeff Peterson and Kimo West performed together and were fabulous. Jeff and Kimo also did a solo each. What can I say about John Keawe - He was wonderful, as was Hope performing hula. Maunalua did a great set and were off to perform at the inaguration. Cyril, Sonny Lim, Kunia Galdeira and Peter Moon Jr performed together as the Pahinui Hawaiian Band. Very enjoyable. Also, Makana was Makana. Alas, Mitch broke a fingernail and could not perform. A very good ukulele player took his spot - I didn't catch his name.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1019 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  10:43:03 AM  Show Profile
Better than last year. Right length, good intermission, lots of vendors. What Dusty said about performers. Hard to beat this matchup. Mitch seems adept at mixing young and older performers. Great music bargain.
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  2:11:32 PM  Show Profile
Awesome show this year...bigger...better than last year, (how does Mitch do it?) Big Mahalo to Mitch for organizing another great show. I believe it was a sold out show. All the performers were great...I am amazed at the talent of everyone who played... all played good selections of music, and had moments exhibiting the talents & skills that just WOW'd me. I'm not a big Ukulele fan, but Kunia Galdeira's Uke playing and absolutely unbelievable falsetto blew me away (chicken skin eh)
...I can't remember the name of the Ukelele player who normally teams up with Mitch, but he played his version of Classic Gas which I thought was very cool...
Once again the elusive Bla could not attend....I think originally Cyril, Martin, & Bla were to perform, but plans changed I guess....I will continue my quest for the hard-to-find Bla for his autograph!!! ha!! maybe next year. In the meantime I did manage to get Kunia's & Peter Moon Jr.'s autograph.
Soon as I can figure out how to post a picture on TP, I'll show you all the autograph guitar...I'm crappy at computer stuff. This July 18th? is the Falsetto Festival (Redondo Beach, Ca.)so this should be a treat!
We have Led K, and Mike Kaawa performing down here 1.28.09 that should be a good show too.
~slkho
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  9:44:16 PM  Show Profile
Eh Rik: You are now getting autographs of the next generation. How cool is that! Kunia is not the only Pahinui mo`opuna to get choke talent. But everyone who has seen him is blown away by his `ukulele and his falsetto. Eh did Petah boy cut school?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  09:29:40 AM  Show Profile
...think so, maybe.
Peter-boy looked like a small kid kine up there, but he played some very good Ukulele also. After the show I'm pretty sure they kept him busy with his coloring book. ha ha (jus kidding)
~slkho
...i'm working on posting the photo and the list of signees.
Go to Top of Page

P.M. JR.
Akahai

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  1:42:00 PM  Show Profile
haha well I am pretty much a small kid next to those 3. I'm only 150 lbs, 27 years younger than Kunia and 41 years younger than Uncle Cyril. To all that attended, I hope my playing wasn't too bad or "unacceptable". I tried my best but it always sounds less than stellar next to great musicians like Uncle Cyril lol

slkho:
I'm not sure if we were introduced but after the show Kunia, Sonny , & I went to the greenroom to finish watching the Steelers/Ravens game. It was an exciting 4th quarter!

I'm a little confused about your coloring book comment; Are you implying that I'm immature, out of place or was it just a random joke? Please don't misunderstand my tone, I'm not angry in any way. I'm just curious as to how others such as yourself perceive me and my playing. Mahalo.

Peter W.K. Moon
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000