Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 I've got two gigs!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  11:32:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
I'll be performing as the opening act at our Rick Ruskin house concert on Friday, April 25, in Walnut Creek, CA. Please email fguidry @ yahoo.com for information or reservations.

Check out http://www.fxguidry.com/ruskin/index.htm if you haven't heard of Rick Ruskin. Unfortunately, the poor guy hasn't discovered slack key yet, but maybe I'll get him on the right track <g>.

I will also be the opening act for the Cyril Pahinui/Patrick Landeza Slack Key Tour event at the Hukilau, 5 Masonic at Geary, San Francisco, CA on Tuesday, May 6. For tickets or information please call 415 921-6242 or 510 452-4266.

This will be my first opportunity to play on stage with some of the masters of slack key, so I'm thrilled down to my toes. Thanks with all my heart to Patrick Landeza for inviting me to perform.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Edited by - Fran Guidry on 04/14/2003 10:06:02 PM

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  11:46:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Congrats Fran!

That's exciting news! What a cool opportunity. Times like these I wish the two coasts were much closer. I hope to see pictures!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  12:05:17 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Fran!
Congratulations! That's such an Awesome Opportunity, Fran! Right on! I'm so excited for you and I hope to make one of the shows!
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  12:58:56 PM  Show Profile
Fran, congratulations! You sound like the performing bug has bitten deep. I hope you have many more opportunities to scratch.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  1:28:58 PM  Show Profile
Good Going Fran, have fun with the gigs!!

And yes, I have some 25 year old recordings of Rick. The tune where he plays "Candy Man" and "Freight Train" simultaneously has to be heard to be believed. I don't know if he does that tune anymore, but he does occasionally do workshops at Gryphon in Palo Alto.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  1:37:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Lawrence, I had no idea Rick had done those two tunes as a single arrangement. He will be at Eric Schoenberg's the evening before our house concert and doing a workshop at Gryphon the next day.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  3:49:24 PM  Show Profile

Of course this dates me, but I bought those Ruskin recordings when they were new. Understand that he play(s/ed) "Candy-Train" alternating from one melody to the other and then BOTH melodies at the same time whilst keeping up on the alternating bass! Ask him about it, I will not be able to make his workshop this time (too busy with too may "slack" projects).

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  4:14:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Ahhh, that's even better than I expected. I figured he would play one in the bass and one in the trebles, then maybe switch - the old "Yankee Doodle/Dixie" trick. Even cooler if he keeps both melodies going over a bass line.

Muriel does "Yankee Doodle/Dixie" but then whistles a third tune (which I've now forgotten) over both of them - brings down the house, naturally.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  10:08:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Oooopsie daisy, Patrick sent me email to tell me that I got the number wrong for info on the Cyril and Patrick show. I've corrected it in the original message, but just in case, it's 510 452-4266.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  11:49:03 PM  Show Profile
Outstanding, Fran!! Play slower than your instinct tells you. If you are like me the tendencey is to play too fast when under the pressure of a performance. This was Doug McMaster's advice to me. It will sound much more nahenahe and you won't finish too soon. It works too.

Rick Ruskin is one of Sheila's and my favorites. We especially liked it when he played with Karen Williams (she plays hammer dulcimer) some years back.

I wish we could be there.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

hwnslacker
Lokahi

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  11:58:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnslacker's Homepage  Send hwnslacker an AOL message
Dusty..you guys are next!!!!!!

Patrick

Patrick Landeza
www.patricklandeza.com
www.landezapresents.com
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2003 :  12:23:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Fran,

Whenever you link to your homepage, I cannot resist admiring your guitars and `ukuleles, listening to your mic comparisons, reading about your get togethers. After enjoying the photos of your instruments, it begs the question, which one(s) will you perform with and why?

Mahalo for posting all those interesting tidbits for my consumption (including your wife's desserts).

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2003 :  12:29:02 PM  Show Profile
hwnslacker says:
quote:
Dusty..you guys are next!!!!!!

Slack Key BBQ at Bruce's!

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2003 :  2:33:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Hey, Andy,

quote:
Originally posted by Admin

...After enjoying the photos of your instruments, it begs the question, which one(s) will you perform with and why?

Mahalo for posting all those interesting tidbits for my consumption (including your wife's desserts).

In the past I've used the McCollum GA, because for a while it was the only one with a pickup. Now I have the Wingert, which I used along with the big Mc at my last background music gig. I also have a pickup in the Martin which I haven't tried in public yet. So, I'm going back and forth and still haven't decided, and don't know how I will choose. I'll talk to Patrick soon and get some ideas from him, related to the sound setup and so on.

And let me clue you in on those desserts - Lynn only did the poached pears, all the others were my creations. Years ago she studied pastry in France, but then lost a lot of her enthusiasm for the field. When our band broke up and I cooled off on music (before discovering slack key) I developed a passion for baking, and for a few years that was my main creative endeavor. Made lots of friends at work, I can tell you. Most people have a more sincere interest in pastry than in music <grin>.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2003 :  2:59:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
The Wingert is one gorgeous guitar. I hope to hear it someday. And please forgive me for not giving credit where it's due... your desserts look delicious... (drool).

Andy
Go to Top of Page

edkalama
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2003 :  3:02:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit edkalama's Homepage
Aloha Fran,

Just saw your posts about your April 25th & May 6th gigs! WOW!

You're with the big boys already bruddah!

All the best and may you have many many more after!

ed
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000