Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Kowali or Koali or Ko`ali???
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  02:12:10 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone have lyrics to this? Which is the correct title? Where the "Kowali" come from? It just doesn't look like an Hawaiian word to me for some reason. I've seen it referred to in several different ways. I cannot find it on huapala.org.

Any history or such about this would be greatly appreciated.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  03:03:02 AM  Show Profile
Nemmine about lyrics. I got them off the Pahinui Bros. (one of the BEST recordings EVER) and blew them up on the printer 300% so I could read da tiny buggah. I just learned just right now how to enlarge a copy on my printer. Duh. I knew how to enlarge pictures but I never knew how to enlarge a copy document kind of thing.

So anyhow I get the words. I then understand this to be a mele pana.

Where is Kowali/Ko`ali/Koali? BTW, on this Pahinui Bros. it is Kowali.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  07:33:07 AM  Show Profile

My understanding is that Kowali is near Hana on Maui. In fact I think I have been to the Kowali general store, but my memory if fuzzy on that one.

Pekelo Cosma sings a lovely version of that song on his disc "Going to Hana Maui".

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  08:24:48 AM  Show Profile
Koali is the name of a district near Hana. Pekelo Cosma may still live there; not too sure, but some times I see him stocking-up at Costco for the trek in. Last time I saw him was at Keokea park near Waiohuli Homesteads; he was jamming with Flash Kekona.

BTW, the kanaka Hana people I know pronounce it Ko-a-li. Not quite the hard emphasis of the `okina (ko`ali), and not quite the v-sound (kowali)...kinda in between. Hard to explain. But it's the name of the district.

Aloha,
da Poi Dog

Edited by - PoiDog on 01/26/2009 09:12:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  09:18:54 AM  Show Profile
Here is where it is on Maui: http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?city=Koali&state=HI&country=us

But,
since the mele speaks of waves crashing into Kanewai ( I ka nalu ho`i mai o Kanewai), I looked up Kanewai and found that it was royal land on O`ahu. Interesting story of how the land passed from person to person and because part of Bishop Estate: http://lilinote.k12.hi.us/SCHOOLS/D1/Hokulani/HokulaniHome.nsf/dd5cab6801f1723585256474005327c8/d55b6aaf46ed37c90a256c3d006f4ab3?OpenDocument - But, I would think that it must pertain to Maui since the O`ahu land does not seem to have a place name of Kanewai where the waves are crashing since it is supposed to be Manoa. The song also speaks of Wailua, which would fit with the Maui location.

But, here is a mystery, too: where was the greenhouse? Any signs still now of where this green house was/is? I recall stopping at a flower farm on the road to Hana. Maybe there? I think it was near Keanae. And what about the part specifically speaking about flying the Hawaiian flag? Would that be out of the norm for it to be mentioned in a mele pana?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  09:34:49 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Poster: Lehuanani Park Cosma
Subject: Koali

Aloha, I would like to share my mana'o on this song Koali. I was born in Hana, and lived with my grandparents in Koali. This song has so much meaning to me. My family and I sing and dance this song. Every time I hear Koali I think of my days growing up in this beautiful place. My grandmother, who we call Mama, always sang this song when she would go to a luau and even when she would leave to go home from a luau she would end her night singing Koali and gracefully dancing to the music. I also recall the words to this song were so much different then the way I hear everyone do it today. I am curious to know if there are two different words out there? And if so, which one is correct? Today, my family and I continue to sing the way my mama used to do it. I remember asking my mama how come nobody ever record this beautiful song and at that time, she said, it was not good because it was a song that was meant for luau singing and to just have fun. Mahalo for sharing and may this song forever live in our hearts, for Koali holds so many wonderful memories to me and my 'ohana. Me ke aloha pumehana

He aloha no Koali
I ka nalu ha'i mai o kani wai
Me na lipoa paoa ala
Hanu ana hele ke la

E ho'i i ka olu i ka hale loke
I ka hale lau hala o ka iwa
Kahi ana ia E walea ae
Ku kila kila i ka lae la lae lae

Haina ia mai, ana kapuana
I ka nalu ha'i mai o kani wai
Me na lipoa paoa ala
Hanu ana hele ke lae lae lae

Note: Interesting...kani wai as opposed to Kanewai. Anyway, the quote is from Lehua, the mele has been done by her `ohana for many years as she indicates. The mele may have been a family favorite because of the relationship of it's title and the place Koali. Funny though, the verse including Wailua (also near Hana...well probably a Wailua on every island and some islands more than one) is not included in Lehua's version.

Aloha,
da Poi Dog

Edited by - PoiDog on 01/26/2009 09:48:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  10:08:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
When Steve Siegfried and Witt Shingle – Panini Productions – were looking for songs for the Pahinui Brothers album, Koali was one of a number that I gave them. It is a mele pana – a place name song. Place names songs show the link that one has to the ‘äina – they show how we are connected to the land. In the Hawaiian way we not only think of the place in terms of just the geographic area, but also of past events and sentiments that occurred there. These are songs that share and celebrate the intimacies of the place so that all who have either lived there or who have listened to the songs remember them.

This song is at least from the 1920s, it is not clear as to who composed it. My gut feeling about the song is that there is a possibility it was composed around the overthrow of the monarchy, because of the reference to Hawaiian flags. The flying of the Hawaiian flags was a symbol of lokähi – the unity of the Hawaiian people – and in defiance of the authorities. One thing certain is that who ever did compose Koali knew the valley, the community, the papa (reef) and the water intimately. There are at least two versions of this song. The present rendition of Koali includes a verse that can be attributed to the old Lahaina song Kananaka composed by Kauhailikua, Eddie Kamae’s aunt.

I have heard a number of different versions in my lifetime of Koali – both the lyrics and melody changed. When I first heard this song by my parents Maui friends the melody was square (in 2 or 4) and hymn like – old style himene. I remember an older Maui group called the Waiehu Sons (Sheldon & Kevin) doing this song.

Many years later I heard it with small changes to the lyrics and a Latin rhythm. Decades later, I think it was about 1990, I heard Peter Cosma and his cousin Perry Artante perform this at the annual Ka Himene Ana Contest that I helped produce when it was held at UH. Perry had the uke and was playing on the back beats (2 & 4) reggae style; Peter was playing G tuning. Needless to say they won the contest hands down. Peter Cosma is indeed from Hana and provides us with the best-recorded performance of this song. The Cosmas have been doing this song forever and have every right to be proud of it.

If you really want to know, you should ask Sheldon or Kevin Brown or Peter Cosma – these guys are the ones who truly carry on the tradition of Hawaiian music. I did a concert up in Kula a couple of years ago with these guys and it was the most fun I had since my days with Liko Martin doing the Diamond Head Crater Festivals back in the ‘70s. They are not high profile, egocentric or got to be the stars of the show type people. These guys are down home good people and artists who put out the best music. When they get together to play all of the songs are played as Hawaiian Music should be played – with joy, love and an understanding of what the songs mean. As a Hawaiian I would rather listen to them rather than all of the so-called masters of slack key people.

Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  10:31:58 AM  Show Profile
Just for grins Perry Artates...I think his group was one of the first Brown Bags winners? He's the Maui DHHL commissioner and he was there at the park too. Thanks Peter for your insight. As always, your knowledge is invaluable (eh...how is dat for plenty syllables? Ms. Brundage would be happy!)

BTW...to backtrack on the other thread...Kalama`ula. Helms is da last house before the turn to Pala`au. Across da highway was Iopa Ne...I am trying to remember the homesteaders. IIRC, Ida Hanakahi was among the first 8 DHHL awardees.

Aloha,
da Poi Dog
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  11:25:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
Yeah Brah,
Brundage would be so proud too, coz you gedem down. I waz always won musician. So fo me woz always hahd lidat if had mo den fo syllables.

As an aside oa somewhere ova hea bud not related to diz topic -- sorry yea fo hijack da tred Wanda, but oni fo won liddle while coz Poi Dog wen ax someting.

Hahd fo me to believe I wen makem dis far oua class get da big 4 0 up da campus like you guyz had las yea. We starding off da yea wid won balentines picnic at wadafront park lidat. I goin bring da main squeeze fo dat won itz mobetta coz you know not goin get in trouble. Befoa at da udda reunions, you know alla da single girlz in da class you know de checking you out. Especially da wons who wouldn’t give you da time of day back in school time. Although I have been approached I have not been dea, oa am eva goin do dat. I like live a little bit longa.

Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  11:35:31 AM  Show Profile
To re-hijack Wanda's thread (), does the place name "Koali" mean the morning glory flower? I have wondered about that since I heard Strumbum do this song at a kanikapila at Neeej's.

Edited by - Momi on 01/26/2009 11:35:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  11:48:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
Momi,

Koali oa kowali iz da morning glory. Could be? I remember used to have loads of morning glory all ova da islands, not anymoa though. Go try look at ipomea. Mebbe had plany morning glory in da valley and that’s how it got named. I don’t know I’m not ma‘a to Koali.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  12:48:56 PM  Show Profile
Well, I gotta tell you that Mr. Peter Pekelo Cosma is indeed a fine gentleman. First of all he was so kind as to send me an e-mail where he typed out the lyrics to the song of his about David Sakagawa, kanaka uka Oma`opio. I loved this song the first time I heard it because it was like a farmer song to me, taking care of the critters. Yep, I get da Ellie Mae Clampett syndrome with critters. And when he would sing the part about "Kawika, Kawika Sakagawa...." it reminded me of small kid time when we had Davy, Davy Crocket, King of the Wild Frontier. The mele reminded me so much of that. Pekelo was so very nice. When I e-mailed him about it he told me he was quite busy at the time taking care of some property that had been flood damaged and he would get back to me, which he did, complete with lyrics. He was tickled that some goofy lady way in Ohio tracked him down about that song. I was thrilled that he shared the lyrics with me. So, yes Mr. Medeiros (two Petahs, you know I no like mix 'em up), I agree with you about a real honest, sweet not high makamaka kine guy.

I like how Braddah Smitty do Koali, also too.

Thanks all you folks for the insight. Da Poi Dog came up with something wonderful as well.

You folks are such good teachers for me. More kleenex.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  1:07:40 PM  Show Profile
Wanda...Small kine hijack again. You like see how small Maui is?

That is my Punahele with a axis deer taken at Sakugawa's Ranch. He is good friends with Scott and Troy Sakugawa. They all just returned from a week working cattle on Kaua`i. Sakugawas have pastoral leases on Kauai as well as Maui.

Aloha,
da Poi Dog

Edited by - PoiDog on 01/26/2009 1:22:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  1:44:29 PM  Show Profile
So dem Sakagawa, Poi Dog, dey live Oma`opio? And is it uka? We had a thread on it one time trying to figure out some of the words. I figured Kanaka Uka was like Hill Billy, only Hawaiian kine, not West Virginia kine like all my `ohana guyz.

Is it one game ranch they run or just get plenty `aina?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  1:46:48 PM  Show Profile
And if I could see the hula that would have helped make it clear on what the words of the song should have been. I wonder if our kumu is doing it wrong? Her kumu is Auntie Mapuana de Silva, whose kumu was Auntie Maiki Lake. Hmmm......

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  3:44:34 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

So dem Sakagawa, Poi Dog, dey live Oma`opio? And is it uka? We had a thread on it one time trying to figure out some of the words. I figured Kanaka Uka was like Hill Billy, only Hawaiian kine, not West Virginia kine like all my `ohana guyz.

Is it one game ranch they run or just get plenty `aina?

Yup...Oma`opio. Just between the sugar cane and the Kula area, lower slopes. They lease large tracts for their cattle. My son helps at the ranch, both in the shop and outside; fencing, making sure the water runs and working the cattle. No pay, only privileges when he needs venison. Kanaka Uka? Like Mountain Man? Man of the Upland? Eh...close enough kaona.

Aloha,
da Poi Dog

Edited by - PoiDog on 01/26/2009 3:52:45 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000