Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Koa ukes
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ipu
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2003 :  4:22:06 PM  Show Profile
I'm shopping for a good higher end koa tenor. Any recommendations?

Buddy Dubay

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2003 :  4:44:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi leon,

fran did an oahu troll in the not too distant past, and had a lot of observations about ukes. you can find it at http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=177.

i personally love the ko'olau tenors, but there's lots of beautiful sounding ukes, koa and milo and walnut and...

sigh.

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Ipu
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2003 :  6:22:51 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Kieth. I truly understand your sigh. So many ukes so little $$. I will try that link. I just found this sight. It's an instant favorite. Tell me about Ko'olau and/or what you play. Mahalo

Buddy Dubay
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2003 :  9:37:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi Leon,

I personally have a Kamaka koa concert `ukulele that I love. Keith is right that there are lots of beautiful sounding `ukuleles out there.

My friend out here on the east coast made me a great redwood/bubinga soprano. I've played Dennis Lake's Po Mahina `ukuleles too. I've heard good things about Koaloha from O`ahu. I almost visited their factory last trip but the timing did not work out. Hopefully next time.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

aplenty
Akahai

62 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2003 :  02:14:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit aplenty's Homepage
Aloha,
I dearly love my Kamaka 6 string koa tenor. The sound is perfection for my ears... and played to back up slack key guitar... mmmmmmmmmm.... I don't know that I'll ever play anything I like better. I knew it was meant for me the first time I strummed it. After looking and waiting almost 2 years. Funny thing too... our friend at the music store knew we were looking... and the day this one came in, she called and said "your ukulele arrived... can you come get it? If I put it out on display it'll be gone before you get here." Doug was on next flight from Molokai to Maui to pick it up!! Good thing we had lots of Aloha Pass credits for the tickets (side benefit of a job that required commuting between islands 2-3 times per week). Somehow she knew it was what we had been waiting for too when she strummed it.
Hope your ukulele picks you soon!
Sandy
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2003 :  02:34:25 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Andy...

What did you think of the Po Mahina 'ukuleles? Compare to others?
Mahalo for your input....

cathe
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2003 :  10:48:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi Cathe,

At the April Beamer camp, Dennis was kind to lend me one of his soprano `ukuleles during Cindy Comb's `ukulele class. The playability and sound was very good. I'll admit that my attention was mostly on the instructor and not the instrument though.

I ran into Dennis again at the Uke Expo last October. I plucked at a few of Dennis's `ukuleles. He explained to me that since moving to the Big Island he's quickly learned what kind of sound people in Hawai`i expect from their `ukuleles and has made adjustments accordingly. To my `ukulele newbie ear, his work sounds and looks very good. Julie can probably give a better opinion than I can since she owns one and has been playing it for a while now.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Ipu
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2003 :  8:25:23 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo Sandy. Also Andy. I have pretty much decided on a Kamaka 4 string tenor and I can finally afford to buy it! (that is the key) I'll be on Kauai and Hawaii this July (we are so excited to be going back !!!), hope I find one. If not I will mail order one from the factory.I need to ask though is this (mail order) wise? How consistent are they? I am hesitant to buy before I play. What about 4 vs. 6 vs. 8 string. What are the different qualities? I quess I'm still open to other koa ukes in that price range. If any one has any ideas for me, tell me the brand and I'll keep an eye out while I'm there.

Buddy Dubay
Go to Top of Page

Rocky B
Aloha

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2003 :  1:14:37 PM  Show Profile
Kanile'a anyone?

has anyone played a ukulele made by Kanile'a - a custom uke shop.

What do you think? Any good?

Thanks,

Rocky
Go to Top of Page

ukulelefan129
Aloha

6 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2003 :  7:28:22 PM  Show Profile
KP Ukulele of Lahaina Maui. Ken Potts makes a wonderful sounding and easy to play instrument that is truly hand made. Kens telephone # is 808-667-0759 and his website is www.kpukulele.com.
Ken not only makes some of the best ukulele's around, he is also a really good person. Aloha, John Gudmundson
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  4:38:58 PM  Show Profile
Just to add to the mix, Fran Guidry turned us (mostly me) on to O Kona `Ukuleles. They are at:

http://www.ukulelesofkona.com/index.htm

The guy really knows what he is doing: he makes`ukes in the same fashion as a guitar luthier, with wood binding, belly bridges and through-saddles and rosettes and enclosed Gotoh tuners, etc.

I got a beautiful looking and sounding spalted (with sapwood) flamed koa tenor of his last Christmas.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

jmk
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  8:32:53 PM  Show Profile
I have a Kanile'a custom 8 string, extra-curley koa tenor. It has an exceptionally beautiful tone and is a joy to play. Joseph Souza was wonderful and never lost patience with my anxiety and desigh changes during the construction. The one shortcoming it has is that the finish on the back of the neck has not held up well. For some reason my skin is hard on finishes. However Joseph gives a lifetime guarantee and would refinish it (if I could part with it long enough).

Nahenahe
Go to Top of Page

Curtis Takahashi
Akahai

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2003 :  09:51:40 AM  Show Profile
Aloha,

Personally, I agree with John, KP ukes are an extremely good value! The man makes a great uke and is an extremely aloha-filled spirit! Also, Tony Graziano on the mainland makes an extremely good 'ukulele in whatever wood you want (you can even pick out the wood if you're in the neighborhood, Santa Cruz Ca.)

Just my 2 cents worth.

Curtis Takahashi
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2003 :  12:50:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
I help Dennis (Po Mahina Ukuleles) with his web site:
http://www.pomahina.com
I am a steel guitar player, and can't really offer a knowledgeable opinion of his work (they all sound good to me). I can, however, testify that he loves instruments, and he is a perfectionist in everything he does. He is his own worst critic and it shows in the instruments he produces.

-Konabob

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass

Edited by - Konabob on 09/21/2003 12:56:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

sirqitous
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2003 :  7:58:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit sirqitous's Homepage  Send sirqitous an AOL message
Hey Jeri (and Rocky), I also got a Kanile'a 8-string extra curly koa tenor.....sure sounds warm and sweet, the Baggs pickup had problems though so it's back in the shop getting a passive pickup put in. I miss it bad! You can see mine in my pic on my profile (I looked for yours but the pic wouldn't come up!)
I'm very fond of Alan Okami's KoAloha ukes, also from O'ahu, I've got a low-G concert, and have an order in for a tenor, which they're about to come out with. KoAloha seems a good example of nothing fancy trimming and doo-dah wise, just feel good in the hands and speak real clearly. I'm familiar with their regular concert and their pineapple soprano, and they had the same nice feel and tone.
Eric

http://myspace.com/sirqitous
http://youtube.com/sirqitous
Go to Top of Page

finemc28
Aloha

14 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  3:41:18 PM  Show Profile  Send finemc28 an AOL message
Aloha all,

When I became serious about slack key and Hawaiian music I decided it is important to also play Ukulele to get a better feel for the rhythms, and to have an option when there are too many guitars jamming. My old Martin Koa soprano seemed to be too mellow and dark for Hawaiian music, and it is difficult to fit my fingers between the frets.

I then bought a Maui Music 6 string Koa Tenor. This has a nice bright and full sound. While it is possible to finger pick, it is really ideal for strumming. It can sound like several ukuleles playing.

I also bought a Mele Ukulele 4 string Tenor, double puka (two sound holes) and strung it with a low G for finger style. This is a koa wood uke, but is less expensive than many out there. The sound is ok, but the volume is not as loud as I would like.

I finally bought a Kamaka 4 string Tenor last July and am now in Ukulele heaven. It is very loud and bright and sounds like I think a Uke should sound for Hawaiian music. I am enjoying it strung with a high G so much that I may never try it with a low G. I both strum and finger pick. It is so alive that it just pulls me to keep playing.

These 3 Tenors all have different finishes on them. The Maui Music finish seems to be chipping off in places. The Mele Ukulele has a thin finish that is holding up very well. The Kamaka has a very thick industrial grade finish that suggests that it can take very agressive playing with no problem.

The majority of professional Hawaiian Ukulele players I have seen are playing Kamaka's. I think anyone would be quite happy with one.

Best regards,
Mike
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000