Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Koa ukes
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  6:32:31 PM  Show Profile
I have a tenor from Island Ukuleles, made by Raymond Rapozo on Kaua`i. Its a beautiful, great sounding instrument.
http://koaukulele.com/

Here's a picture of mine. click me

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2003 :  6:40:55 PM  Show Profile
This thread seems applicable here.
http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1122

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2003 :  03:31:59 AM  Show Profile
While on the Big Island in August, I received delivery of my long-awaited Dennis Lake all-koa baritone.
Now I'm stting here, trying to think of the best words to describe it, and there just aren't enough! It's an absolutely beautiful instrument, and has the most wonderful nahenahe sound, but can be quite loud if played a bit away from the body.
I was able to choose the wood last year, and that was thrilling, but it's even more beautiful than I had imagined.... solid back and front, ebony fretboard, tortoise binding, ebony tuners, and plays like a dream.
Several fine players have tried it out, and find it very facile to play. Dennis is very meticulous, every detail is perfect. All hand built, eh? Da kine.

cathe
Go to Top of Page

dfpet
Aloha

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2003 :  4:17:34 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Buddy, If you are going to be in Kauai in July, I recall a music store, in Kappa'a I think, called something like "Larry's Music" that had a hugh number of ukuleles. (Is that vague or what.) Maybe Sandy knows the name and location of the place. We were there looking for slack key books and sheet music. A man came in and was trying out many of the ukes, so I asked him what he liked best. Surprisingly, he said he had a large collection of ukes and he liked the Fluke a lot. I now have two Kamakas and am really happy with them. I now want more, maybe a tenor! Good luck in your search. I hope Sandy replies to tell you where that store is; just for the fun of trying out different brands "in person". Diana

Diana
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2003 :  7:56:39 PM  Show Profile
Diana you are right. Larry's Music is in Kapa`a a little north of the Ono Family Restaurant. I bought a 6 string Kamaka tenor there a while back.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2003 :  02:19:27 AM  Show Profile
I think this thread should be called "koa ukulele envy." Yikes, I'm drooling on my keyboard...

I have found that one ukulele is not enough. Once you get started you want to collect MANY. They all sound differently, each one has it's own personality. I have sopranos, concerts, tenors, 4 and 6 string, a banjo uke, and I pick up different ones according to the mood I'm in. Lately I've been playing a lot on my Po Mahina. The sound is phenomenal and everytime I touch it I think of my good friend Dennis. We have a Kamaka, a Larrivee, two Meles, two Grazianos, three Po Mahinas, and little space left in the living room.

Like I said, once you get hooked, look out! Aloha, Julie
Go to Top of Page

David B
Aloha

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2003 :  3:48:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit David B's Homepage
Aloha,
I carry koa ukuleles at my two stores, one in Oceanside and the other in Dana Point CA. Out of the koa ukuleles that we handle, my favorites are the G String Ukulele and Kanilea, they play and sound wonderfully. Some of Hawaii's best ukulele players play G String such as Kelly Boy Delima, David Kamakahi, Herb Ohta Jr. and Keoki Kahumoku. I played Keith's Ko'olau and was relly impressed. What a fine ukulele! Also you can't go wrong with a Kamaka, still a great instrument. I agree with others on this message board, there are alot of good ones out there, so take your time and play as many as you can to see which feels and sounds the best to you.
Good luck
David

Momilani's Island Traditions
Go to Top of Page

captdale
Aloha

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2004 :  4:51:03 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, check out Hummingbird Ukuleles. Located in Kalaheo on Kauai. 808-635-7729. I had one built last year and the guy builds only custom high end pro grade tenors. one at a time. All Koa or koa with spruce top, cedar top, mahogany with .... or whatever. Not cheap but worth the price and really nice. with or without fishman pickups. Also does cut-aways. Left or right hand !!!
quote:
Originally posted by Ipu

I'm shopping for a good higher end koa tenor. Any recommendations?

Go to Top of Page

Dana
Akahai

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2004 :  6:40:36 PM  Show Profile
Aloha all,

Seemed too good of a topic to pass up so....I have a custom koa Ko'olau tenor. I always wanted to have an instrument with the stuff that I wanted on it...and after hearing so many good things about them, I decided to go withe the Ko'olau. I have to say that I love the tone and playability of the instrument to da max! Did I mention I love it?...I don't think that you can go wrong with a Kamaka ort all the other makes out there....I guess that the point is that you have to listen, do the research, play as many as you are able to, and talk to the builders, and while it may not always be cheap, you can get an instrument that can connect to and speak for your soul...not to mention is plenty fun!

Aloha no

Dana
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000