Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 NY: Japan Festival 4/24 (Admin's plug)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2003 :  12:41:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
For those in the NYC area, I will be venturing outside the confines of my livingroom to perform with slack key player, luthier and good friend Atsuhiko Kawamura. We plan to play a 15 minute set of slack key and contemporary Hawaiian music at the "Japan Festival in Williamsburg" on May 24th.

For more info, check:
quote:
Big Genius Art Supplies is proud to present Japan Festival in Williamsburg on Saturday, May 24 between 4pm and 11pm at the Williamsburg Publik House, located at 365 Union Ave. in Brooklyn, New York.

Members of the New York artists community originating from Japan present a day of art, exhibitions and displays aimed at inspiring New Yorkers with peaceful acts of artistic courage and the freedom of imagination.

Our idea is very simple, New York and the world needs inspiration, as artists, our passion as well as our responsibility is to inspire. Through Japan's culture and history together with our commitment to shaping the future which New York represents to all corners of the world, we present our effort to cause a chain reaction of peace and vitality.

The Japan Festival features 15 visual artists, short films presented by their directors, live Jazz, Pop and deejay mixes. Comedy by Yumi, from the New York Comedy Club. Street Dance Performance, theatrical play, plus many vendors, games, and great snacks.

This unique concept is a not for profit showcase intended for all people, young and old.
We'll practice this Saturday so our songlist is TBA. Should be fun. Aloha.

Andy

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2003 :  1:30:02 PM  Show Profile
Way to go , Andy!! Just remember to play slooowwwww.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2003 :  3:16:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Thought I'd answer over here instead of at the Hapa book topic.
quote:
Originally posted by marzullo

andy, that sounds like fun. both are great songs. are you going electric? i love the way they keep adding the instruments on their version of "ka 'uluwehi o ke kai" - ya gotta keep the blues harp playing the turnaround!
Not electric, electric. But will be plugging in our acoustic guitars for amplification. My friend just installed an i-beam in his Gibson. We won't have the fiddle and other instruments but we will have someone playing blues harp on `Uluwehi.

Our set list is 3 songs:
  1. Haleakala Ku Hanohano
  2. Moloka`i Sweet Home (Kalapana)
  3. Ka `Uluwehi O Ke Kai
I hate to admit this here, but I will be playing in... standard tuning. I know, I know - blasphemous!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2003 :  3:27:02 PM  Show Profile
Admin says:
quote:
I hate to admit this here, but I will be playing in... standard tuning. I know, I know - blasphemous!

I always thought DGDGBD was standard tuning.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2003 :  3:38:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
You're right Dusty. That has been the case for my guitar for a number of years. I guess I should say, "I am experimenting with an unfamiliar tuning - EADGBE."

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2003 :  11:09:19 PM  Show Profile
Fine then Andy, go to the Dark Side. :) (notice lack of emoticon usage) re: ssstannddarrrd (can't even write it) tuning.

WayDaGo Bruddah ! Live and on Stage! Knock em dead.

with aloha,

The Supreme Commander Piffle

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2003 :  1:05:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Here's a photo from a couple weekends ago. Everyone had a great time. Despite some shaky hands and muffled notes at the start, it ended up pretty well. We even gained one fan who wanted to buy our nonexistent CD after the show!

Ryuji Noda (Blues Harp), 5th Beattle?, Atsuhiko Kawamura (`ukulele, guitar, vox), Andy Wang (guitar & vox)

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2003 :  9:22:01 PM  Show Profile
Andy, under the limelight, lookin' cool, with an Aloha shirt, and guitar...and that is what it is all about!

Way to go my Friend

Mike

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2003 :  10:52:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

"I am experimenting with an unfamiliar tuning - EADGBE."

In other words you'll be playing "tight key". In fact, from now on I propose that EADGBE tuning be referred to at TaroPatch.net as "Ki Likiliki".

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 06/04/2003 11:05:19 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000