Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Slack Key & Domestic Violence
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2003 :  10:31:09 PM  Show Profile
Thought folks might want to know about an event at which I will play:

A Mother’s Day Remembrance of Raye Rapoza and her daughter Tehani:
A Community Gathering to Honor Victims of Domestic Violence -- Sat, May 3rd, 11am-12noon in Central Park in San Mateo,CA, to honor the memory of the woman and her daughter who were killed in October when her husband drove them off a cliff in Moss Beach. Their family is originally from Hawaii.

I'm going to do a set while people are gathering, so I'll probably start sometime between 10:30 and 10:45. I seem to be specializing in "cocktail slack key." I'm also going to play a "meditation" piece I composed during the actual ceremony. Also, per family request, Aloha 'Oe.

I don't often like to "politicise" slack key, but I think the Aloha Spirit at the heart of slack key makes it appropriate for this event.
Raymond Stovich
San Jose, CA

edkalama
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2003 :  7:02:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit edkalama's Homepage
Aloha Raymond,

For some reason I missed this post. Hey, this is what makes us really feel good inside - to share our music for an event like this.

Great work!

ed

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2003 :  11:15:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Raymond, I hope your event went wonderfully. I'm sure it was an especially moving occasion.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2003 :  4:29:58 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Fran,
It was very powerful for most people who attended, myself included. It was also a great experience in how music helps set the tone -- there was a strom going on as people were gathering and the room had a lot of scattered nervous energy. I scrapped my playlist and went with materials that was very soothing -- the energy changed very quickly. At the end on the hour, the atmosphere was very heavy -- many people had wept during the ceremony, stuff like that -- the coordinator asked me to play for a while -- a did some slightly uptempo stuff, again, it didn't take long for the atmosphere to change. Lately, I've begun to notice how important the playing is to the mood of an event while playing private parties. This was, howeer, the most dramatic experience for me.
Raymond
PS-- there were a couple of news crews there, and I caught KNTV's reporting of the event on the evening news -- could clearly hear my playing in the background. Much to my pleasant surprise, I sounded really good to myself, a rare happening.
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2003 :  9:45:46 PM  Show Profile
Raymond,
Ah, you had a good performance, too (like Fran). That is very impressive, your controlling the mood of the crowd with your music. Controlling is the wrong word here, I mean improving. It is awsome what music can do, what a musician can do.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000