Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Thanks, Patrick
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2003 :  11:13:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Lynn and I made the long lovely drive to Point Reyes Station last night to see Patrick Landeza and Cyril Pahinui at the Dance Palace. This is a lovely venue - only about 200 seats but fitted with excellent sound equipment and now ... COMFORTABLE CHAIRS! We went early thinking we'd eat dinner in town, and went to the Dance Palace before we ate. Patrick, Cyril, and Norbert (road manager) were already there, doing sound checks and setting up CD sales. Patrick has a COOOOOOL new instructional DVD and it is such a nice piece of work! Donley Smith was already there as well, he can never get enough Hawaiian music. Patrick suggested that I come up and do a number, and just to make it easy he offered me his guitar - that gorgeous all koa Tacoma Parlor he's been using lately. The deep body of the guitar and the deep body of the Fran didn't really work great together, but I'm not about to turn Patrick down, ya know?

We offer to bring food for everyone, but they're concentrating on sound and say they're all right, so off to dinner at a terrific little taqueria down the street. Next thing Ross and his lady friend show up - the boys have sent them out for food - change da mind thing. So Ross gets a couple of items and we get a couple items and back to the Dance Palace where we have about the most fun listening to Cyril and Patrick and Donley tell road stories and picking tales.

I'm thinking my number will be something easy - how about Salomila - when I see Patrick's set list and his opening number is ... sure, it's Salomila of course. Maybe I'll do Monorail Slack Key??? Ohhhhh no, Patrick has that on his list too! Now it's time for the show and I still haven't figured out what I'll do.

Patrick opened, and he had the audience of about 170 in the palm of his hand in no time. He is really a very compelling performer, with a natural warmth to match his singing and playing talent. After a few tunes he calls me up and hands me the Tacoma, and by now my mind has gone blank - the only piece I can think of is Ledward's "Ku`u Ipo Onaona" so I might as well go for it. Luckily I've been practicing this one a lot lately so I got through it with almost no stumbles, and even pulled off the bass run section clean. Patrick took over and finished his set with some more of his sweet playing and singing.

After a little intermission Cyril came out and he was in really good form. He is so relaxed and in command of his instrument, his C tuning makes all his fretting movements very different from the Taropatch moves I'm used to, and his right hand also goes way beyond the constant alternating bass. He plays a very sophisticated, jazzy style with advanced harmonies and passing chords, but it's still deep Hawaiian all the time. His set just flew by, followed by several tunes with Cyril and Patrick sharing the stage.

Afterward Donley showed me some of the things he's worked out in Cyril's tuning - he got such cool sounds out of it I wanted to hang around and listen all night. But the guitars have to get packed up, us East Bay folks have a long drive and Patrick and Cyril have been up since 4:30 AM so by midnight we're all on the road and looking forward to getting together on Tuesday.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2003 :  9:39:51 PM  Show Profile
Fran,

Thanks for sharing your day. You're performing more and more. Good for you, and honor to your teacher, Patrick.

Pauline

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2003 :  02:10:53 AM  Show Profile
Way to be
Raymond Stovich
Go to Top of Page

hwnslacker
Lokahi

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2003 :  05:44:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnslacker's Homepage  Send hwnslacker an AOL message
You did a great job Fran!!! Cyril and I were very impresed and I am PROUD!

Patrick
www.patricklandeza.com

Patrick Landeza
www.patricklandeza.com
www.landezapresents.com

Edited by - hwnslacker on 05/05/2003 05:46:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2003 :  12:19:54 AM  Show Profile
Fran,

I might add that You always do a great job writing these concert reviews. You think of things to write about that are inherently interesting to guitar players and also throw in just the right amount of human interest stuff. Do you do much writing in your day job??

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 05/07/2003 5:03:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2003 :  02:52:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Gee, thanks Lawrence, but no, I don't do much writing at work. Hmmmmm, what DO I do at work?

I have always been a voracious reader, though, and I think I kinda mimic reviews that I have read and enjoyed.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000