Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Slack Key Hula
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  09:00:17 AM  Show Profile
Now, for a real modern hula, check this out. I would advise, to echo the wisdom of Frank Delima, don't be eating saimin when reading or listening to this.

http://www.nahenahe.net/?page_id=3040
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  11:55:47 AM  Show Profile
Puke Alo ea! That is so funny. Sure to be a smash hit...up for a Na Hoku. Keola, now I am getting a greater understanding into that great mind! You are not only wise, you're a wise guy just like Unko Paul, Duke, Jay, Ed, Glenn, Al, Gregg, Prof. Petah, etc., etc., etc.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  4:00:15 PM  Show Profile
Just trying to have some fun ;-)
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  9:05:37 PM  Show Profile
E Keola! Maikaʻi nui kēlā mele. Hiki iaʻu ke paʻani i ia mele?

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

dr. cookie
Lokahi

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  10:15:43 AM  Show Profile
Love your new composition, Keola!

On the liner notes for "Ke Kaua Laiki" (his song about the Tet Offensive on the Hui Aloha CD), Dennis Kamakahi talks of once being advised to compose mele about contemporary events/culture. We all enjoy traditional Hawaiian songs about earlier life and culture, but there seem to be very few compositions about life today.

Now we finally have a masterful and fun perspectve on internet obsessions! I wonder if it will be enjoyed eighty years from now just as we enjoy singing about the introduction of electicity through "Kane`ohe" today?

OK . . . now for what I've been thinking about all night. What I really want to know is what the great-great-great grandson of Kihei de Silva will make of this mele when he analyzes it at the turn of the next century? Take my favorite verse for example: "The sound of a rooster is heard / Reverberating in the darkness before dawn / What happened to the time? / It was lost in worthless activity."

In my humble opinion this is a wonderfully poignant description of the realties of today's computer obsessions. But wait . . . is it more??? There simply must be naughty kaona to unravel here. I'm thinking the rooster is a guy, whose quest for a liko was thwarted when a whole night of trying to get past first base came to naught. Who amongst you hasn't screamed in frustration (even if only virtually) after wasted wooing (now there's a title/theme for a song)?!

I was really sort of hoping some of you creative TP-ers might tackle an analysis of other "FaceBook Hula" verses. Keola may not even know the depth of his own subconscious . . . we could do him a great service by helping to uncover the kanona he didn't even know existed.

After all, who would simply write a song stating that time is wasted online? That's so obvious it hardly needs to be said (much less sung about). There has to be more to it than the superficial/literal story. The rooster was an obvious clue for me, of course, because we all know that within traditional Hawaiian poetry we'll eventually find a bird looking for a bud, etc., etc. So even though no liko was mentioned, she must be the focus of the bird's pecking around, right? Wait, since a keyboard is pecked, the keyboard might even be the liko! And that reminds me of the translation about a "flower that has been plucked" . . . so perhaps that would imply that the rooster's keyboard had already been pecked . . . which would make the rooster even more frustrated because he assumed this liko would be a sure thing . . .

God, how I love the Hawaiian music and it's delightful mysteries.

Just showing my kolohe side, as well . . . join the club if you fell like dissecting a verse . . .

:) Don

PS: Be prepared for Keola to deny any special kaona, of course . . . that's what they all say . . .
Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  5:17:41 PM  Show Profile
To be honest, after composing that first verse to tease Kama, my intent was to write the rest of the song as a silly, playful poke at those of us who probably spend too much time on Facebook. After I had the verses and ideas somewhat fleshed out I did see some potential for other kinds of playfulness in the kaona and went with the flow as I cleaned up the text. I also rearranged some of the verses to accommodate that element. There are some places where I probably could have done a little more of that, but just decided to leave it as it was finally posted. I'm not going to tell you if your interpretation is right, close but no cigar or wrong. If anyone wants to try to read into any of it I'm OK with it, just know that I won't confirm or deny your interpretation, and please don't present it as being anything but that - your interpretation. To paraphrase Auntie Alice: sometimes a cell phone is just a cell phone. Or not.
Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  5:18:11 PM  Show Profile
E No‘eau - ua noa. Mahalo kāu noi 'ana.

Edited by - keoladonaghy on 04/23/2009 5:21:12 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly