Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Call off the search teams - Admin is back!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2003 :  11:24:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
My team and I completed the race in 4 hours. Winning team finished in 2 hrs 13 min. We could have done better but all had a good time. We achieved our minimal goal of doing our best and not coming in last.

Turns out I'm in better shape than I thought. Not hurting as bad as I expected so I'm ready to play golf tomorrow.

quote:
Excerpted from press release...
BALANCE BAR® ADVENTURE SPRINTS START WITH SUCCESS

Team BALANCE BAR® Takes Opening Race of the Season

ORCHARD BEACH, NY (May 18, 2003) – Nearly 600 competitors gathered at New York’s Orchard Beach to accept the challenge at the first stop of the 2003 BALANCE BAR® Adventure Sprint Series. Teams were challenged by new and exciting special tests and course variations from the moment the starting gun went off.

Competitors at the BALANCE BAR® Adventure Sprints received a true introduction to the sport of adventure racing by testing their skills in trail running, mountain biking and kayaking across various park terrains. Additionally, team dynamics and mental strength were be challenged by the mysterious “special tests” for which the Series has become known.

Team BALANCE BAR, earning $2,500 in prize money, took home first place in the Coed Elite division with a time of 02:13:16. Team TIMEX trailed closely and was awarded $1,000 for finishing second at 02:13:17. Team Red Bull rounded out the top three at 02:14:16, while taking home $750 on the day.

The first of eight stops of the 2003 BALANCE BAR® Adventure Sprint began at Pelham Bay Park’s Orchard Beach with a 600 yard kayak portage. From there, teams paddled 2.2 miles around the island before returning to the beach. Teams then took off on the first of two mountain biking legs, the first with a twist. Teams of three were allowed only to use two bikes, leaving one team member on foot. After returning from the first loop, teams came through the transition area to retrieve the third bike and begin the second bike leg of the mountain bike course.

The Inverted Ranger Weave lay next in the path to the finish line. Teams were made to crawl up the inverted structure and then safely make their way back to the ground. Onto the crowd pleasing Mud Pit, where two teammates crawled backwards through the mud, while dragging the third member. Once out of the mud and upright, teams then took off on the more than 5-mile Nike ACG Trail Run. Along the trail, teams encountered the swimming portion of the race, swimming approximately 150 feet through a lagoon before finishing the remainder of the Trail Run course.

Once off the trail, teams encountered the Mohawk Walk. In its debut performance, the Mohawk Walk’s tight ropes were a true challenge of teamwork and communication. Teams then made their way to the 12-foot Wall, the final obstacle before the finish line.

The mud pit made for some fine photo ops. Maybe I'll get some photos up when the film is developed.

Andy

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2003 :  11:52:25 AM  Show Profile
This was no simple race. I congratulate you on even finishing.

Yes, please post pics.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2003 :  3:41:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Pauline,

It was certainly a case of me doing something that I was not sure I could do. Even my wife agreed that the idea of me running more than 5 miles was not something easily imaginable.

Our team did okay but suffered one miscommunication problem that probably cost us 30 minutes. That is, we lost a team member for a little while. All in all, it was a fun morning. None of us were injured. Worst part was probably waking up at 5am. That, along with running, is just not my style.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2003 :  12:39:41 PM  Show Profile
Congrats Andy! You must have sumthin' goin' for ya. All that with only one week practice is phenomenal, especially since you didn't hurt yourself doing it, which means you paced yourself properly. The ratio between your team and the winners is just about the ratio (and absolute times, as a matter of fact) between an international marathon winner and a pretty good and well trained amateur. In addition, if you were doing each subevent, you were excercising a *lot* of muscle groups.

But, how did you lose a team mate? Deep mud?

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2003 :  5:03:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Well, our time was pretty poor relative to the teams that completed the event. Luckily our goal was minimal - to not finish last - so we achieved it. For me, kayaking and mountain biking was not bad at all. Running is my weakness. Given my one week of training, I was happy to finish the race. I had never run 5-7 miles in my life. Perhaps there will be a next time.

We lost our team mate because Patricia, our female teammate, misunderstood me. Not sure how it happened but it happened. The first leg (of two) of the mountain biking section called for two bikes and one teammate on foot. In an effort to save time, half way through the section, I left my bike and helmet with Patricia. This was suppose to relieve Frank (male teammate) from his run while I ran ahead on foot.

When Frank caught up to Patricia and spare bike, she told him I was in the restroom. The result was that I ran half the course unnecessarily, Frank ran the entire first leg of the bike course, and Patricia walked half the bike course with two bikes. That was essentially a disaster for our team. It is a wonder that we did not come in last after that. That is much of what this race is about though. In addition to physical strength and endurance, team work and communication is key.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

edkalama
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2003 :  02:55:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit edkalama's Homepage
Plus you had fun, right?

The mountain bike leg must be hilarious. Next year, you guys will be the team to watch!

Congratulations for enduring the 5+ mile run. An how did you make out with Golf game?

ed

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2003 :  10:32:55 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations, Andy, for doing something you didn't think you could do! I've never run 5-7 miles in my life either, and you can bet I'd be sore the next day...for the next week, for that matter.

By the way, we didn't know you knew Italian so well. Another hidden talent of our truly akahai—and not pupule—Admin!

Ciao!
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2003 :  11:58:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
We definitely had fun. Enough fun for me not to rule out trying again to see if I can do better next time.

Golf, well my game is pretty bad. I did sort of my normal and shot 102. The weather was beautiful. I enjoyed good company and a nice half day out of the office.

My Italian is not too good. I studied one year in college and with lack of use have forgotten just about all of it. Studied a whole year and now can only read the restaurant menu. Buon appetito!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2003 :  12:36:49 PM  Show Profile
Congrats Andy! Wow! That's quite an adventure!!! What was your team's name?
Hee Hee ~ Patricia must have thought you fell in cuz you were gone to the
restroom for so long... I can't wait to see pix of you guys in the mud pit!
Cheers,
Stacey
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2003 :  12:44:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
What was your team's name?
Well, it was neither politically correct nor relevent to race (I think).

I was the first to show up at registration and was asked to fill out the form. When I got to the team name entry, I wrote the first thing that came to mind... I think the Beamer brothers song was in the back of my mind... and wrote, "Sweet Okole". Nobody knew what it was.

This aside (or backside) leads us to this link.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2003 :  11:08:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Here are some photos from last Sunday.

Start at 7:30am

Inverted Ranger Weave

the crowd pleasing Mud Pit

Mohawk Walk

Running is fun?

the 12-foot Wall

The finish line

So where's lunch?!?!
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2003 :  12:22:27 PM  Show Profile
Great pictures, Andy!!!
Mahalo for sharing! You gotta worry when they give you a life vest to go into the mud pit.

Awesome job, Andy!
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2003 :  12:45:10 PM  Show Profile
Life vests! Good point Stacey.

Andy, how did you get so clean at the finish? Did they hose you down after the mud pit?

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2003 :  6:15:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Racers were required to wear the life vests for the mud pit which cleverly preceded a 150 swim across a lagoon. That helped make sure people were slightly cleaned up by the end. Actually had to wear the lifevest for most of the run too.

Andy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000