Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 A taste of Hawaii
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2003 :  10:34:17 PM  Show Profile
Aloha all,

I just had a wonderful taste of Hawaii this afternoon. Aunty Manu Lono opened a place to teach Hawaiian culture and dance* and invited her students and friends to come to the blessing of the new place. I don't know her well but was privileged to be invited because of attending a few kani kapila's held there.

The important stuff first - ono grinds, potluck style. There were all possible variations of fried chicken, some delicious versions of pork, varieties of fish cake, fruits, salads, a table loaded with desserts and more. There was even poi, I've never tasted it, not bad. I expected white and bland but it was pale brown-purple with a bit of tang. It wouldn't be that hard to acquire a taste for it.

The food filled the dance studio. Outside, the parking lot held the party. A huge awning shaded the performance area and the audience. Aunty Manu and her friends provided the live music on bass, guitars, ukuleles, a fiddler joined in, even a trumpet. Many of them sang, including Rodney Lopez, Jr. with his fine falsetto. He takes after his dad.

And the dancers danced, from plump grandmothers to skinny little kids. It was evident how the song, the instruments, and the dancers all fit together. After the dances by different groups, individuals came out and soloed, just for the love of it. One little boy, 8 or 9, did a fantastic hula with snap and verve, what a performer. I'd been impressed by a little girl about the same age who clearly loved to dance, but he was so polished.

No slack key, but it was a wonderful afternoon, full of aloha. I understand now why so many of you are addicted to Hawaii. I've never been, but this taste was enchanting.

Sadly, Aunty Manu has halted the kani kapilas so she and her students can concentrate on a competition coming up in August.

Cheers,
Pauline

*I know there is a name for this, but silly me has forgotten both the generic name and, worse, the specific name for Aunty Manu's new place. If you are in the Seattle-Burien area and want to take lessons, I can give you her email address. She is a wonderful dancer herself, and her students were impressive. I would call her lovingly demanding, a person who brings good things out of you.

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2003 :  10:39:00 PM  Show Profile
The name is Hale O Lono. I found it in my Kanikapila forum post.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000