Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Advice for bottom-of-the-rung beginners?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

ongchua
Akahai

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2003 :  4:54:05 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo nui loa Andy, Pat and Pauline!

I'm certainly with all that advice about correcting one's mistakes immediately and about practicing slowly with care. That's the challenge of self-instruction, isn't it? With a kumu by your side, he or she will be able to stop you and say, "You're doing THAT thing again. Move back into proper form." But when you're all by yourself, you have to be your own critic and corrector.

"Form first, speed later." That's what my coach always told me.

I don't think that I'd be frustrated by not being able to start playing music too early in my learnings. Almost all method books/CDs that I have start me out with simple tunes. I only wish that they were slack-key tunes instead of "You Are My Sunshine" or "Jingle Bells". Maybe I will order Ron Loo's books and tapes if they're not available through our library.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2003 :  6:31:49 PM  Show Profile
Also,
Record yourself -- wait a day and listen to it. You will start to hear where you are falling into old ruts.
I even video taped myself just so I could watch my hand positions.
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2003 :  12:12:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
We do have a terrific teacher of slack key fairly nearby - Patrick Landeza is in the San Leandro area, and he gives private lessons and also has a DVD of basic slack key technique just coming out. He has a web site at www.patricklandeza.com and he also posts here at taropatch.net as hwnslacker.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2003 :  5:58:55 PM  Show Profile
How does one obtain Patrick's DVD? I checked his website and don't see any links leading to it.

Duke
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2003 :  7:53:54 PM  Show Profile
Hans,

Playing with other people is a great way to learn. After I know a tune in my head, and can play it fairly well, I love to play with people better than me because they push me. For many years I was a very active old time fiddle and clawhammer banjo player and playing a fiddle tune for 8-10 minutes is hard physically but it really opens your head and body up. Same thing transfer over to guitar, too. Jes keep pressin!

Mark
Go to Top of Page

ongchua
Akahai

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2003 :  9:40:43 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo Fran and Mark!

I don't know if I've got enough basic skills yet to get much out of a lesson with Patrick but I'll keep him in mind.

BTW, I read that when my left fingers hurt that I should dip them in rubbing alcohol for a while. Does anyone know if that recommendation actually have some basis in physical science or is my relief just the power of suggestion (or the respite brought by getting them wet and having to towel-dry them off)?

Also, are there any fingerpicking techniques (besides classical) that might help with my studies?

Edited by - ongchua on 05/24/2003 9:50:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2003 :  9:46:43 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Hans! Welcome to taropatch.net!
Mahalo nui loa for starting this wonderful thread from which I am gathering such valuable information!!!!! Your original post questions pertain to me too! I greatly appreciate all the advice you experienced players are sharing with us beginners! Wow, what a terrific new member of this community you are, Hans!

After reading all the responses to Hans' post, I feel like I'm on the right track too.
Ozzie's book has been a great start for me!!! Actually, I started with Mark Hanson's Master's of Slack Key Guitar and it's HARD for a beginner. Then I got Ozzie's book and it was a relief cuz I could do it! Yeah! Now I'm lookin' at Keola Beamer's book and video and I just ordered Ledward's video. Also, I super benefitted from taking a few lessons with Raymond Stovich (member RJS) in San Jose + some workshops with George Kahumoku Jr.

The first time us SF Bay Area taropatch.netters gathered at the Kaleo Cafe last March, I had memorized about 4 tabs. I didn't know what the Kanikapila would be like. Everyone is so friendly and free spirited that it was easy to feel comfortable So they all start jammin' & I couldn't do it. I hadn't learned any chords! Fortunately they played some of the songs I knew & then I was able to play along. Otherwise, I just marveled at them! Wow, what a talented bunch of people!

In preparation for the next Kanikapila I studied chords. So this time when they'd say what the chords were for the next song I could strum along with everyone and do that alternating bass thang. That was the first time I could ever jam along! Yay ~ a little progress! I feel like I'm startin' ta get da hang of it & my practicing is changing. I'm not just starin' at a book. I'm trying different chord progressions, turnarounds and noodles. I gotta practice a lot more... but I'm having so much fun! I just LOVE the music.

*What I really want to do, is to be able to, when they yell "Pani!"

Hans, I hope you can join us for the next Taropatch.net Kanikapila at Auntie Cathe's Home in Mill Valley. You're pretty close by. It's about an hour drive for me too. It's fun & unintimidating and I really have learned A LOT playing with other people.
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2003 :  10:39:06 PM  Show Profile
Stacey, you just reminded me of another book for slacker beginners that I think hasn't been mentioned yet, Keola Beamer & Mark Nelson's Learn to Play Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar*. It starts nice and easy, includes turnarounds, encourages you to find your own, to play with their arrangements, and draws you into slack key. I got it about the time I pretty much dropped guitar for ukulele, so I'm rediscovering it since I'm nearly back to square one. It may be a better beginner's book than Ozzie's.

*Andy has to have the particulars for this book, ISBN number, etc., elswhere in TaroPatch.net. It comes with a CD.

Pauline

Edited by - Pauline Leland on 05/24/2003 10:40:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2003 :  12:46:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Stacey, you just reminded me of another book for slacker beginners that I think hasn't been mentioned yet, Keola Beamer & Mark Nelson's Learn to Play Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar*.
Yes, this is a great one. I shouldn't have forgotten about it. Find the details here.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2003 :  12:06:38 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo for the reminder, Pauline and Andy!!!
Yes, I'm working in Keola Beamer & Mark Nelson's Learn to Play Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar book too and it's a SUPER GREAT book! In my mind I unfortunately often mix up Mark NELSON and Mark HANSON (Author of Masters of Hawaiian Slack Key). Sorry. Hee Hee.
I also recently scored Leonard Kwan's Slack Key Instruction Book on eBay for $15. Yow! Now if I could only find Ray Kane's Book ~ I'm sure you all have the same dream...
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2003 :  12:36:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Stacey, I've been searching for Ray's book for over a year now and still haven't seen it on eBay or anywhere else. I have a photocopy of it but want an original. I'll keep looking...even Ray himself only has one copy! I'm also looking for original copies of Keola's first two books and Hapa's book, just to complete my collection. (I'm hoping I'll learn all the content through osmosis.)

Incidentally Hans, Patrick is a great teacher no matter what your skill level.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2003 :  12:39:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by RJS

Beg to differ on the chord bit, Craig
I knew you wouldn't sit still for that Raymond!

Craig
Go to Top of Page

oaklandslacker
Aloha

China
47 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2003 :  05:48:01 AM  Show Profile
Here is some crazy sh*t that I feel would be useful for a beginner. I don't intend to give a lesson, but as a student I've come to appreciate the simplicity of the basics.

A large percentage of Hawaiian songs are in the "I-IV-V" chord progression. With taro-patch tuning, that would most easily be G-C-D. So, going between these three chords is a very useful skill.

An easy way to define G is to not fret any strings. Another is to play the 1st string (the thinnest) at the 5th fret, and the third string at the 4th.

An easy way to do "C" is to hold your finger across the entire 5th fret. Also, one can play the 2nd fret on the 4th string, with the 1st fret on the 2nd string.

With D, you can place the finger across the entire 7th fret. Or, you can play the 2nd fret on the 3rd string, with the 4th fret on the first. Or, you can play 7th fret on the 3rd string, and 9th on the 1st.

With these chords, the bottom three string are used to provide bass accoompaniement to what the top three strings are doing.

If one looks at "Hawai'i Aloha," it's one of the "I-IV-V" songs. It starts at I (In this case, G), then goes to IV (C), then goes back to I, then goes to V (D).

With the same chords, one can play many (most?) pop songs and Hawaiian songs. For instance, "Anarchy in the U.K." or "Sweet Home Chicago."

BTW that rubbing alcohol advice sounds total wacky to me. But who knows? I think you just got to deal with pained finger, and then after a couple weeks the calluses come and the strings don't bother you any longer. Hope that helps!
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2003 :  12:32:38 PM  Show Profile
Hans sez
quote:
BTW, I read that when my left fingers hurt that I should dip them in rubbing alcohol for a while.

Aloha Hans!
About the rubbing alcohol thang ~ I think that putting rubbing alcohol on there would be more painful than the forming callouses! Sorry, I haven't heard of another remedy 'cept persistance with your playing. Good Luck!

Craig sez
quote:
I've been searching for Ray's book for over a year now and still haven't seen it on eBay or anywhere else.

Aloha Craig,
I saw Uncle Ray's Secrets of Slack Key Video go for $130 on eBay about 8 months ago, but have never seen his book anywhere either. I'm searching too! I go thrift shopping often, so I'm hoping I'll come across a copy someday.

oaklandslacker sez
quote:
A large percentage of Hawaiian songs are in the "I-IV-V" chord progression. With taro-patch tuning, that would most easily be G-C-D. So, going between these three chords is a very useful skill.

Yeah, I get that! When everyone was over here jammin', I noticed that same chord progression come up over and over. Seems like there were alotta D7's in there too. Anyways, from beginner to beginner, that's a great, simple way to put it. Mahalo, Jeffrey.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2003 :  1:31:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Hans, one more tip for playing that just came to mind:

- As you're learning a song, play it slowly first then bring it up to tempo once you have it down. Better to play it slowly and perfectly than at tempo with mistakes.

Craig
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000