Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 NYC: 6/1/03 Annual Hawai`i picnic in Central Park
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2003 :  12:45:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Aloha kakou!

Please join us for the 18th annual Hawai`i picnic in Central Park on June 1. Started in 1985, the picnic has grown from a gathering of a handful of homesick Hawaiians to more than 200 Hawai`i transplants and adoptees.

The picnic will continue its tradition of offering ample opportunities for people to dance or play music so bring your favorite mele hula and instruments. However, this year we are trying to organize the entertainment so that everyone gets a chance to share their talents. If you are interested in participating, please let us know so that we can accommodate your request. A CD player and small sound system will be available.

Below is the picnic information flyer.* Come talk story, meet the NY Hawai`i community, get ono grinds, dance the hula and play some music... Hawaiian style.

Nersa M. Miller
Secretary
HAWAI`I CULTURAL FOUNDATION
P.O. Box 250050
New York, NY 10025
212-966-3378
hcf @ hcfnyc.org
www.hawaiiculturalfoundation.org

* Email me or Nersa for the flyer

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2003 :  4:11:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Well, it's been two consecutive weekends of terribly wet weather, but the HCF picnic could not be stopped. I'd estimate 75-100 people came out to brave intermittent rain showers (probably 1/3 of last year’s attendance.)

The potluck was great. One attendant proudly observed that you know “locals” are getting together when half the food is sweets! Lomi salmon, Kaua`i cookies, chow fun, mochi… mmm, mmm, good.

The rain knocked out the ability for a sounds system but there was still lots of fantastic hula and even a little live music. The quartet of `ukuleles was good stuff. There were 3-4 halaus represented. One group demonstrated what they learned from Robert Cazimero's workshop from a couple weeks earlier. One highlight for me was seeing Hui Na Pua a ka Makani who I understand will be starting a beginner class for the first time (for those who may be interested.)

If you missed it, please come out next year. If the sun comes out, there will be no stopping us! Mahalo to all the organizers and those who did not fear getting wet who made it happen.

Andy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000