Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 New Ovation Koa guitar?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ongchua
Akahai

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2003 :  6:35:43 PM  Show Profile
I just got word that Ovation has released a koa wood-top version of the Celebrity just for the Hawaiian market, model CP-744. I couldn't find a picture of it on their website but it's described as having two opposing palm-tree cutouts for sound-holes.

Has anyone on the islands seen this (and perhaps have a picture)? I'm not planning to buy (that's why I just have an Applause) but I'd really like to see how it looks.

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2003 :  6:51:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
There's a photo of a koa Celebrity Deluxe 12-string on the page below, model CS245-4K:

http://www.ivormairants.co.uk/celebdeluxe_o.html

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 05/28/2003 6:53:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

ongchua
Akahai

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2003 :  12:13:23 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo Craig! That's a beauty! I wonder how the palm-tree soundholes on the CP-744 look like.

689 British Pounds. That's certainly a hefty sum but I have my suspicions that the English pay a bit more for their Ovations than we do.

One day, I'll earn the right to play and own one of those top-of-the-line puppies.

Edited by - ongchua on 05/29/2003 12:21:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2003 :  2:19:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Here's the info you were looking for Hans.

quote:
This is the Ovation Celebrity Deluxe model # CP744-4K, parlor size koa top acoustic electric. 40 pieces were made exclusively for Hawaii, very limited. There was also a matching acoustic electric soprano ukulele, model # UAE24-4K. You could possibly still find one:

Oahu:
  • Music Mac (Aiea, Kaneohe)
  • Easy Music (Honolulu)
  • GoodGuys Music (Honolulu)
Hawaii:
  • Mele Kai Music (Kona)
  • Music Exchange (Waimea, Hilo)
Maui:
  • Bounty Music (Kahului)
Kauai:
  • Scotty's Music (Kalaheo)
I hope this helps.

Craig Leon
District Sales Manager
Hawaii

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Turtle Song
Aloha

47 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2003 :  12:34:39 PM  Show Profile
Don't hate me. I got one on my last trip.

I love that resonator sound added to the unique Ovation sound. The only thing is, no cutaway, so it makes it harder to reach those higher frets. Harder, but not impossible.

I love mine.

Deborah

The seeds for the flowering of our personal peace are within our hopeful, but fragmented, selves. Reflection and silence compose the winds that nurture our simplicity that is the essence of beauty. - Frank Howell
Go to Top of Page

Turtle Song
Aloha

47 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2003 :  12:49:18 PM  Show Profile
Oops, I didn't look carefully enough at the picture before I posted, so my "resonator" comment probably has you scratching your heads. Mine does have the resonator. It was a limited release too. I don't know about the model pictured here, but the res models were made in Japan.

The seeds for the flowering of our personal peace are within our hopeful, but fragmented, selves. Reflection and silence compose the winds that nurture our simplicity that is the essence of beauty. - Frank Howell
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2003 :  12:49:32 PM  Show Profile
Resonator sound ? Ovation?

What's up with that?

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

ongchua
Akahai

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2003 :  6:13:57 PM  Show Profile
That's a nice-looking Ovation! It must sound sweet!

I most certainly AM jealous, Deborah. (Wink! Wink!)
Go to Top of Page

koaguitarman
Aloha

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2003 :  3:33:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit koaguitarman's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

Oahu:
  • Music Mac (Aiea, Kaneohe)
  • Easy Music (Honolulu)
  • GoodGuys Music (Honolulu)
Hawaii:
  • Mele Kai Music (Kona)
  • Music Exchange (Waimea, Hilo)
Maui:
  • Bounty Music (Kahului)
Kauai:
  • Scotty's Music (Kalaheo)
I hope this helps.
Andy,
Do you happen to know the phone numbers to any of these shops? One of these Koa's would make a nice addition to my collection. Please advise.

Russ
Go to Top of Page

ongchua
Akahai

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2003 :  3:46:27 PM  Show Profile
This would be a realy nice addition to your collection, Russ. I believe that Easy Music can be reached at (808) 591-0999. If you can't wait for Andy's response, just try surfing the Yellow Pages at http://yp.yahoo.com (use an address in Hawaii).
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2003 :  3:50:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Or http://www.switchboard.com should work well too. Just enter the business name with HI for the state. Good luck!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

koaguitarman
Aloha

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2003 :  5:16:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit koaguitarman's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by ongchua

This would be a realy nice addition to your collection, Russ. I believe that Easy Music can be reached at (808) 591-0999. If you can't wait for Andy's response, just try surfing the Yellow Pages at http://yp.yahoo.com (use an address in Hawaii).

Thanks Hans

Russ
Go to Top of Page

koaguitarman
Aloha

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2003 :  5:19:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit koaguitarman's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

Or http://www.switchboard.com should work well too. Just enter the business name with HI for the state. Good luck!

Thanks Andy, you and Hans have done good. I'm off to search Hawaii.

Russ
Go to Top of Page

Turtle Song
Aloha

47 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2003 :  01:05:32 AM  Show Profile
I got my reso model at Music Exchange in Waimea (Kamuela), on the Big Island.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000