Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Great resource
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2003 :  2:08:52 PM  Show Profile
I just finished a newly released book that I think every musician deserves to read. Barry Green's "The Mastery of Music," subtitled Ten Pathways to True Artistry." Green asked the question "What makes te difference between a top performer and the hunders of other very competent players. He then spent time with top of the line performers and came up with this book. The reason why I used the phrase "deserves to read," is that going through this material, at whatever skill level you are, is bound to raise your performance level - whether that be playing in your backyard, basement, sound-prrof booth (sometimes referred to as bathroom) - or performing at family parties, public locations, formal concerts. (Ok, Keola Beamer, and other Masters, might not get much out of this for their own performance -- except that thy might get some ideas they can use in teaching.)
I have long thought that most of music making has little to do with technique and playing the notes. OK, I'm not that stupid -- you do have to develop technique and learn the right notes. However, the difference between two players who can play the notes - one of whom plays music that moves you and the other sounding, well, boring or uninteresting, has a lot to do with many other factors. Green does a very credible and very readable job of getting into these factors. In some ways this book can be an excellent starting place for someone who wants to use music making as a vehicle for personal psycho-spiritual growth. If you don't live in CA, this book will "simply" open you up to some of the dimensions that make the difference between competet playing and really great playing. I'm sure some of it will wear off just reading the book - it has for me. Green does recommend some ways to work on each of his 10 areas - but frankly I think that's the weakest part of this book. Pretty much you'll have to figure out how to apply the stuff on your own. Don't let that keep you away from this book.
Green is also the author of "The Inner Game of Music." This book can be read as a stand alone or as a follow up taling Inner Game to new dimensions. "Inner Game" is also a very very worthwhile read -- and the excercises in that book can & do help you apply the ideasa. It is primarily focused on getting past all the "inner critic" stuff to where playing music becomes enjoyable again and - you actually get to play better in the process. I know of 4 University based music programs that typically have their advanced students learn Inner Game techniques. They work.
If I hit a lottery (which is more difficult in my case because I don't buy lottery tickets) I would buy copies of both Green books for each Taro Patch regular. It's easy being generous when you know it won't cost you anything.
Raymond Stovich
San Jose

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2003 :  3:22:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by RJS

This book will ... open you up to some of the dimensions that make the difference between competent playing and really great playing.
I'm still striving for competent playing. This book goes on my "someday" list though...thanks for the excellent review.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2003 :  7:09:36 PM  Show Profile
Craig,
"The Inner Gaime of Music" will help you becomew more competent, faster with less "effort." I know lots of musicians at various skills levels who used it and became huge "salesmen" for the process.
R
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2003 :  12:33:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Thanks Raymond...I'm taking your advice and just ordered a copy of "Inner Game" ($14.89 shipped from overstock.com if anyone else is interested).

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2003 :  03:15:55 AM  Show Profile
Craig,
Please let me know if you found it useful and, if so, how it helped you.
R
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000