Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Online Hawaiian Language & Culture Classes
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2003 :  12:38:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
University of Hawai`i at Hilo is offering "HAW 101 (Elementary Hawaiian) Online" and "HAW201 (Intermediate Hawaiian)". What a unique opportunity to study regardless of where you are on this island (Earth). All you need is a computer.

http://www.olelo.hawaii.edu/eng/dl/haw101/index.html

Andy

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2003 :  12:59:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
All you need is a computer
...and $536 (not that it isn't worth it)! For those on a budget, there is also a series of free video lessons available online that were originally broadcast on Hawaiian TV.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 06/05/2003 1:43:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2003 :  2:13:11 PM  Show Profile
Craig is correct. I've been going through the taped (streaming video) lessons and they're ok. Taped in the early 90's and very "conversational"-oriented. You have to sit through kids calling in to the program which gets a little tedious, but the overall value is good. I've gotten through #6 and picked up some good info. I also had to go through a couple of them twice. Keep a good Hawaiian dictionary handy and take notes. My only criticism is that they "gloss-over" what I think are some important concepts. You may be able to get to their website and ask questions. Best of all it only cost you your time.
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2003 :  2:30:02 PM  Show Profile
Andy

A clarification: they are offering HAW102 (beginning Hawaiian, second semester) right now, and taking applications for HAW101 to begin in the fall semester. They will also offer HAW201 in the fall, for those who have completed HAW101/HAW102.

As Craig noted, the Kulaiwi on-line lessons (12 hours worth!) are free and are excellent. You REALLY need a fast ISP, since you are streaming audio/video. They offer a low-bandwidth feed, but I suspect the frustration involved would be too much. There are also some workbooks in Adobe that you can download.

Puna
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2003 :  4:03:31 PM  Show Profile
Further note: in addition to the free on-line language lessons, KSBE is also offering a series called "Nahenahe: Sweet Melodies of Hawaii" where 'Hawaiian language kumu Ekela Kaniaupio-Crozier promotes the learning and appreciation of the Hawaiian language through the study of various Hawaiian mele"

The sessions are free, and run at noon HST. First session was June 4 (which I missed), studying the song 'Waikapu' with guest artist Pekelo. Next session is June 18.

Info and schedule are at: http://nahenahe.ksbe.edu/ There is also a songbook (with lyrics and guitar/'uke chords for 8 songs) in Adobe that can be downloaded.

Eric

Puna
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2003 :  4:16:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Wow! "Nahenahe: Sweet Melodies of Hawaii" sounds awesome! Thanks for the link.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2003 :  4:19:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
You can listen to the Nahenahe series live at http://www.hawaiian105.com/ksbe and they promise to have archives of previous shows available (none yet). Looks like Robert Cazimero is the next guest artist.

It looks like they're going to devote each of the eight shows to a different island as follows (not in show order):

Hawai`i: Hilo Hanakahi
Maui: Waikapu
Moloka`i: E Hihiwai
Lana`i: Mele Lana`i
Kaho`olawe: Mele o Kaho`olawe
O`ahu: Nani Ka`ala
Kaua`i: Na Hala O Naue
Ni`ihau: Pupu o Ni`ihau

It's worth going to the site mentioned in the original post if only to download the songbook.

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 06/05/2003 4:26:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2003 :  6:45:03 PM  Show Profile
With my dial-up, I don't know about video lessons, but I'm printing the 44-page songbook now. I do hope they put the show on-line because I haven't a clue about the melodies.

BTW, in the back they give common guitar chords, all in tight-key tuning (love that phrase), EADGBE.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2003 :  7:04:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Pauline, don't forget the Hawaiian translation of "tight-key": Ki Likiliki.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2003 :  8:02:07 PM  Show Profile
True? Or will I embarrass myself in mixed company?

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2003 :  8:50:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I found out that the June 4th webcast should be up in the next couple of days. Also, if you have trouble printing the 44 page book, email nahenahe @ ksbe.edu with your mailing address and they might send you one!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2003 :  9:10:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Regarding the UHH online language course, I received this information from Keola Donaghy:

It covers the same material that an on-campus class does, using the Nä Kai 'Ewalu textbook (written by two of our professors). It includes the most basic grammatical structures and vocabulary that you would encounter on a daily basis. There is no need for heavy knowledge of English grammar, Nä Kai ÿEwalu uses a Hawaiian system and uses Hawaiian terminology for the various parts of speech. It makes more sense as there is not a complete correlation between English verbs, nouns, adjectives, etc. with their Hawaiian counterparts. Quizzes are given after each two chapters, and their is a mid-term and final that are comprehensive in nature. They require you to use all skills - listening, speaking, reading, writing, translation, creation of your own dialogs and descriptive paragraphs based on photos we post, translation from Hawaiian->English and
English->Hawaiian. It is quite rigorous. We go through a chapter about
every week and a half, anywhere from 20-40 separate lessons and assignments per chapter.

Because FirstClass allows easy cross-platform recording and listen to audio files, it is very interactive, though the interactivity is not in real time. Some assignments require the student to record their own pronunciation of their completed assignments. All lessons posted by us include audio samples.

There are also self-grading practice exercises on a WebCT site, that allow you to practice and get instanteous feedback on your submissions, and we also have a Shockwave vocabulary game for practicing vocabulary.

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 06/05/2003 9:11:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2003 :  10:24:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
You guys listen to the Nahenahe programs? I actually never listened to a whole one through. I was just listening, accidentally hit the wrong thing - and boom, the audio started over!

The inability to pause, rewind, fast forward is the only drawback of this program. In my opinion, a big drawback, though. Anyone smart enough to be able to capture the audio. This would be so valuable on CD.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2003 :  01:24:17 AM  Show Profile
Yeah - with my slow slow computer (can't get broadband in my location, they say) the Nahenahe programs were much too frustrating.
While I was in Hawaii, however, I listened on the radio -- and it was a great show.
I've emailed the folks there, and they said they will try to make the Nahenahe programs available in some format for us non broadband folks.

My guess is a few more requests would help their process along.

Anybody got copies of it somehow, sure would like to talk to you about sharing.

Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

Dana
Akahai

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2003 :  6:34:59 PM  Show Profile
Aloha all,

I bought a software application called total recorder for my pc. It lets me record streaming audio from the web and save it. I can record ( I hope I'm not violating any laws, but it is so I can listen to the shows later ) the programs, save as an mp3s, xfer them (mp3s ) to my pocket pc device and listen to them using my mp3 player. ( they could be burned to CD's too ) I recorded all of the nahenahe programs as well as the kulaiwi lessons. Let me know if anyone is interested in specifics on how to, and here is the link for total recorder:

http://www.highcriteria.com/

with much love and aloha to all

Dana

Edited by - Dana on 11/14/2003 6:36:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2003 :  10:23:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
How's this for good timing? You may now purchase the Nahenahe: Sweet Melodies of Hawai`i, an 8 CD set, for $20.

Go to http://nahenahe.ksbe.edu where you can download an order form. This is exactly what I was looking for.

BTW, the $20 includes shipping and handling!

Aloha.
Andy

Ps. Thanks for the info Dana, but I'm going for the CDs this time.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000