Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Taropatch.net Miscellaneous
 Announcements, Feedback, Suggestions
 Should we add a "Beginner's Forum"?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2003 :  11:42:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Poll Question:
Should we add a "Beginner's Forum"?

Results:
Yes   [50%] 5 votes
No   [50%] 5 votes

Poll Status: Locked  »»   Total Votes: 10 counted  »»   Last Vote: 06/18/2003 7:31:00 PM 

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2003 :  11:43:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Recently, someone suggested adding a Beginnger's Forum. On one side, I'm not sure there is enough content to warrant it. Or whether we should bother making a distinction since "General" posts can be any level.

On the other hand, would it be less intimidating for newbie posters/beginner players? A forum where, "No question is too dumb?" Not to mention, it would be easier for beginners to reference pertinent topics?

Feedback anyone?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

ongchua
Akahai

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2003 :  1:02:20 PM  Show Profile
Andy,

Being a beginner, I'm actually with jwn. I don't feel intimidated by the presence of better players when seeking advice (only when asked to demonstrate my abilities ). In fact, I'd want my posts to be seen by everyone and would be concerned that a beginner's forum might not get enough attention from everyone here.

When I posted my request for advice, I heard from a LOT of folks; and I very much want to hear everyone's suggestions and stories. I think there are many roads to learning slack-key and I wanted to learn about all the twists and turns, the pros and cons that each person encountered.

It might require more work, but perhaps we should consider archiving or linking some of the most informative message board discussions to the LEARN section of TaroPatch.net. That way, folks wouldn't have to dig too hard to find subjects that might have been hashed-out before.

Just my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2003 :  8:04:57 PM  Show Profile
Since I think I'm the one who made the original suggestion, I want to clarify my idea. I didn't mean a "Forum" in a sense of trying to categorize Beginners from Intermediate, etc. What I was suggesting was a specific location where past suggestions to beginners could be lumped together - primarily to make it easier for "beginners" to access the information. There is so much good stuff there.
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2003 :  9:50:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Oh, okay. So something more along the lines of what Hans has mentioned. You guys have any old posts in particular that you like?

Mahalo for your thoughts and opinions so far.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2003 :  10:24:55 PM  Show Profile
Yes - more of a "library" I guess.
I don't have specifics, but I remember participating in a couple of lengthy topics which had lots of good ideas. If I get a chance in a day or so, I'll look at back topics and get back to you.
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

ongchua
Akahai

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2003 :  11:32:22 PM  Show Profile
For Slack Key, Topic IDs: 874, 585, 836, and there were a couple of topics with links for learning Hawaiian

For Ukulele, Topic IDs: 680 and 897 helped me

There was another discussion that was helpful but I can't find it yet. In it were a couple of posts about how much time is needed for serious practice (and it put me to shame).

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  12:56:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
A resource forum, yes. Otherwise no...beginners aren't going to learn by hanging out with other beginners.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2003 :  10:31:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Here's one more before I forget it: What beginners like me should know
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2003 :  11:59:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
i voted "yes" for the beginner forum. i like the idea. it would be a great place for a FAQ and "best of" links. it's also nice for a shy beginner to post. i was once a shy beginner (now i'm an obnoxious and aging beginner), and it would have been attractive to me to have such a folder to post.

the active core of taropatch.net are all nosy and opinionated enough that i don't forsee any exclusionary behavior here...

aloha,

Keith
Go to Top of Page

edkalama
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2003 :  4:08:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit edkalama's Homepage
I will vote for the "beginner's" forum, if beginners are defined as those that are just picking up a guitar or ukulele for the first time or maybe call it "First time players only" It will be an easy place for beginner's to discover if their challenges are similar to others, and how they are being addressed. It will also show suggestions by the more "experienced" members.

Although it may be called the "beginners" forum, I am sure all of us will be checking all the active threads anyway. I predict that it will be the most popular!

ed

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2003 :  4:31:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Could be retitled to a "Getting Started" Forum... sort of all encompassing whether getting started on the guitar, `ukulele, or this forum. I would guess that it would mostly address the common experiences of those just beginning to learn their instrument.

I would guess that the core taropatchers would read the posts. At least I know I would, but I try to read everything.

I'll leave this topic open for discussion for a while; because on the flip side, these types of posts are welcome in the general forum. I can't help but think that some people who might be shy to post might feel little more welcome if there were a "Beginner's" or "Getting Started" forum.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cdyas
Akahai

67 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2003 :  5:59:25 PM  Show Profile
If the goal is to be less intimidating for the newbie...

How about a "Getting Started" page with the basics of getting started spelled out. It took me a while lurking in the shadows before I got up the confidence to sign up and post (and now you can't shut me up). But a page with some basic information about what you need to get started; like a guitar with strings, a good attituded and some recommended materials for the beginner level like Ozzies book and Keolas online lessons and it could also have some links to some relevent posts and one to a website that you can hear some slack key like the one craig set up and or mele.com. This would be perfect for the shy beginner who wants to give it a try, and alleviate the pressure for the poster if they get 20 replies and a debate about the best way to get started. I enjoy it but the newbie might feel intimidated. Give them the option of posting to the general forum if they feel comfortable, or the ability to send an email off line for the question that they do not want to post. If it is important and needs to be covered, you can add it to the page for others to benefit.

Just some ideas.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

ongchua
Akahai

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2003 :  7:44:29 PM  Show Profile
I think there are two things that are worth solving for here, but it's going to expand the scope of Andy's project. The first is getting some ki ho'alu newbies to begin participating (and getting them started). The second is archiving all the great ideas and advice that gets posted to TaroPatch.net.

They're not necessarily the same, but they aren't mutually exclusive either. It'd be great to take care of both, but I think Andy's going to have to prioritize according to how much time he's got on his hands.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2003 :  01:07:54 AM  Show Profile
"nosy and opinionated"
well, I, for one, feel complimented
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2003 :  12:47:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
Greetings everyone, yes, I vote to start a forum for beginners and I will try to fill it will inquisitive newbes for all of you to enlighten. I have submitted a proposal to start a beginning Slack-Key class at the University of Hawaii Leisure Center . I am planning to advertise the class as, if it does’nt offend anyone, “Slack-Key Guitar for Lolos” The classes will cost $50 for five 2 hour classes. I would teach it for free but the University requires payment when you utilize their facilities as a vendor. I intend to cultivate interest in Slack-Key guitar stylings by keeping instruction fun and simple. They will see and hear it and then I will show them how to play it. There will be no music theory or tabs involved if possible. I will leave that job for Byron, Peter, Ozzie, Lance, Anthony and the other professionals. Have a happy day!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000