Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Happy Summer Solstice!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2003 :  6:16:34 PM  Show Profile
Aloha TP Ohana!
Happy Summer Solstice to you all!
I just finished a 2 hour slack key practice session and am feeling happy happy and was thinking of y'all, but everyone's in Maui. It's been so quiet around here. I thought I'd make some noise!

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2003 :  6:33:05 PM  Show Profile
Shuuush...we're sleeping :)

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2003 :  6:59:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
No kidding...I was going to suggest changing the name to Launea Patch.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2003 :  9:03:33 PM  Show Profile
Wake up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hee Hee, Craig ~ I like your new title a "Recovering "Tight Key" (Ki Likiliki) Player"
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2003 :  01:11:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message

Craig
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2003 :  11:32:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
HELLO! (...hello...ello...llo...lo...o...)

Man, this place echoes when it's empty.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2003 :  01:26:38 AM  Show Profile
You yelled?

How come all the music camps in Hawaii are in the summer?

I celebrated the solstice by marching with an ukulele group in a solstice parade, Hawaii theme for our float, and we played "Tiny Bubbles" endlessly. It was overcast; the cloudburst waited until after the parade and ended before the pageant about the return of the sun. It worked. Two hours later, the sun came out. Soaked and chilled by the wind, we needed the warmth.

I hope you two and other readers had a happy first full day of summer this Sunday.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2003 :  02:35:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I celebrated the solstice by taking a nap. It was too short but much appreciated. I have no idea what the weather was like at the time as I was sleeping.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2003 :  03:07:58 AM  Show Profile
Pauline sez
quote:
I celebrated the solstice by marching with an ukulele group in a solstice parade
How super fun fun Pauline!!! I bet you guys had the best float! I'm glad the weather cooperated! Can you post a pic?
quote:
How come all the music camps in Hawaii are in the summer?

Aloha Pauline! It gives us all a good excuse to go to Hawaii!
I hope to go maybe next year...

'twas a beautiful day in Sunnyvale, CA! I practiced my slack key out in the sunshine in the back yard and it was a lovely 83*. I took the kids to the beach the other day, but the Nor Cal Beaches get San Francisco fog ~ it was brrrrr! Also, the beach was covered with By-The-Wind-Sailor Jelly Fish (velella velella);
http://www.mbayaq.org/efc/living_species/default.asp?hOri=1&inhab=465
They all got blown into shore and there were zillions of them! We hiked about 2 miles from our picnic site and my 10 year old daughter stepped on one. It gave her a nasty electrical sting and I carried her piggyback most of the way back ~ resistance training! She's just fine, but we'd rather be on a beach in Hawaii...

Aloha Craig ~ a few days back you referred to your new Aria Classical Electric Guitar! I'm glad you finally got it and I hope you're having fun with it! How are you liking the nylon strings?
Aloha,
Stacey
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2003 :  10:41:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Hey Stacey, the Aria is a blast...it looks at first glance like an electric guitar (and it plays like an electric) but it is a nylon acoustic. It plays quiter than a standard acoustic when not plugged in, but has a great acoustic sound when it is plugged in. As soon as I have a chance I'll record "Manuela Boy" with it and post it so you can hear what it sounds like (the guitar, that is).

My other guitars are jealous...they are being ignored.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2003 :  11:19:22 AM  Show Profile
Pauline,

Lemme get this straight. You marched in a solstice parade, with ukeleles, playing Tiny Bubbles?

YOU ROCK! How friggin cool is that! I had to laugh just thinking about that one.

I had to work on the solstice, but made it to the beach yesterday.

Mike

Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2003 :  12:00:25 PM  Show Profile
Piffle sez
quote:
I had to work on the solstice, but made it to the beach yesterday

Were zillions of jelly fish on the beach in Santa Cruz too?
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2003 :  5:17:03 PM  Show Profile
Hey Stacey,

Actually, it wasn't too bad. I was at Capitola main beach and did see a couple of them, the purple ones. The wind is starting to really pick up and thats when they come washing up.

Today I'm riding my mt bike thru Soquel Demo forest. Then come home and bbq. Me and my neighbors dog. It's my day off dammit, and I'm going to enjoy it. Even if I'm not in Maui:)

Peace to all.

Mike

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2003 :  7:29:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I used to live in both Soquel and Capitola (not at the same time), right after I graduated college in '83. Both are great little towns.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2003 :  8:27:55 PM  Show Profile
Sheila and I spent the solstice at the California Traditional Society's Summer Solstice Folk Music Festival out in Calabasas (northwest of Los Angeles). There was a nice Hawaiian component to the festival this year: slack key guitar and ukulele workshops; also hula demonstrations. It rained like crazy getting there but stopped as we approached the festival. It was chilly but dry both days.

Dusty

Edited by - wdf on 06/23/2003 8:29:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2003 :  9:54:33 PM  Show Profile
Craig sez
quote:
My other guitars are jealous...they are being ignored.

Aloha Craig ~ I'm glad you're new guitar is encouraging you to practice more!

Dusty sez
quote:
There was a nice Hawaiian component to the festival this year: slack key guitar and ukulele workshops; also hula demonstrations.

Aloha Dusty ~ Wow, that sounds like a blast! Thanks for sharing your experience.
Aloha,
Stacey
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000