Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 From Molokai to Yale
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

AuntyD
Aloha

24 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2003 :  3:25:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit AuntyD's Homepage
Aloha e Reid and Sarah,

Have you met the young lady from Moloka`i who is attending Yale yet? I went away to school on the mainland, many moons ago. Coming from the forests of Puna, I was in absolute culture shock.

During my first year, the strangeness of my new environs was greatly buffered by a couple who took me under their wing, invited me to sup with them, and fed me the familiar food of home. They lessened the pangs of homesickness of a much displaced island girl so far away from all that was familiar to her.

I shall never forget them, and years later, I remember them with such Aloha. Their positive influence lingers, as to this day, I find myself extending myself to perfect strangers, too.

The Hawaiian Language Web Site was partly inspired by such a perfect stranger: a hapa haole young man who was forced to drop out of his first hawaiian language class at the University of Hawai`i. He was born and raised on the mainland and had no "leg-up". He could not keep up with the Hawai`i-born students who have a major headstart with the vocabulary, pronunciation and sentence structure (so much like pidgin English). He wanted so much to learn the language of his ancestors, but was so discouraged and defeated from the get-go. My web site, I hoped, would also serve as a kind of HeadStart for those in his situation.

The kindness of strangers goes a long way.

Me ke Aloha,
Aunty D

"Aloha is...":
http://www.geocities.com/moekeale2020/alohalesson.htm
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2003 :  04:27:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
Aloha Aunty D, I met Moe many times on my journey through the entertainment business in Hawaii. From the wild 60's through the insightful 90's. I loved moe's work. Besides being an outstanding ukulele player/entertainer, he always amazed me with the choices of songs that he would record on his albums. Many of which have become my favoites. His music will always be an inspiration to me. Thank you for access to the Websight for it has brought back some memories that make me smile. Alohas
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2003 :  12:07:58 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Aunty D,

No, we haven't met her yet, but Sarah sent her a campus email inviting her. Things were very hectic here when she arrived. Besides the normal hustle and bustle, and getting settled, and figuring out which classes to take, etc., there was a labor strike going on when she arrived. There were pickets distracting the arriving students, many classes were held off campus so as not to cross picket lines, people blocking traffic and getting arrested (like Jesse Jackson and labor leaders), Presidential candidates making speeches (Lieberman, Dean and others) and a lotta hooraw. So, we are hoping, now that this is over, that we will get to meet her.

Me ke aloha,

Reid
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000