Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Suggestions for a knock-around travel guitar?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ongchua
Akahai

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2003 :  08:52:10 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone have any suggestions for an inexpensive ($100 or less) and smallish (3/4 normal size or less) travel guitar? I was thinking of getting one for times that our family is on the road.

Looks aren't important. Projection beyond three feet isn't important. Durability probably won't be too important as long as the basic guitar stays intact even if I have to set it down in the dry dirt. I'm just looking for something that can keep my hand muscles in practice.

Here were a few candidates that I came across:

1. A second-hand Washburn Joey (about $100).
2. A second-hand Martin Backpacker (about $100).
3. A new or second-hand Washburn Rover (about $100).
4. A new Amigo by Montana Guitars (about $70).
5. A new Spela Guitar from IKEA (it's a child's classical guitar for $40, it sounded acceptable).

If you have some comments about the cons of practicing on a travel-sized guitar, I'm all ears.

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2003 :  02:48:26 AM  Show Profile

aloha.

I'm playiing a Baby Taylor right now, as my main guitar - you might be able to find a used on in your price range, they are usually about $250. It has great tone, easy to play, is the size of a parlor guitar, and you'll want to treat it better than dropping it in the dirt, I can guarantee.

cathe
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2003 :  03:12:00 AM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
I'd say skip the backpacker. I had one last year and once the novelty wore-off I opted for the fuller sound of a Parlor. The backpacker won't really sit on your leg, well it will but the strings are then pretty low and you'd want to play it with the neck strap to raise it up.
It's kind of unstable hanging from the strap too.
For backpacking I'd say it's good; for general travel you can do better. See if you can find a cosmetically-challenged baby taylor or Larrivée Parlor for cheap. They fit in overhead bins too.

Ross

Edited by - rossasaurus on 07/06/2003 03:14:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2003 :  04:06:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I second the vote for the Larrivees, at least as far as the sound is concerned, although they don't fit your price criteria (they go on eBay for around $250-$350 used). They have the added benefit that you can play them lying down on a couch. (Which is how I usually practice...perhaps I should post this to the topic on avoiding back pain while practicing!) I actually use mine for practice more than I do my dreadnaught (also a Larrivee).

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 07/06/2003 11:15:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mike D.
Aloha

18 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2003 :  10:21:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Mike D. an AOL message  Send Mike D. a Yahoo! Message
I also have a Baby Taylor as an alternate guitar when I travel. The size, being a little smaller, seems to work better than a regular sized guitar. Plus, I've got a hard shell case (SKB?) for it (it came with it when I bought it), so it can take a little bit more wear and tear than a gig bag could bear. It's been great camping or on airplanes (an fits nicely into overhead bins on the plane!). Finally, it is fun to play. For its size, I think it has some of the best sound and feel of the 3/4 size guitars around. It is more than your specified price range, but I would recommend considering buying it if you think you'd want something to "go the distance" when you are traveling and may be challenged for space. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

ongchua
Akahai

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2003 :  12:22:53 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the feedback. I'd love to consider some of those alternatives but they're a bit too much for my budget.

Okay. The BackPacker is off the list. So's the Amigo (quality control problems from their Romanian factory cause the neck to separate) and the Washburn Joey (discontinued and a few finish problems). Has anyone seen and sampled the Washburn Rover? (See: http://www.washburn.com/products/acousticg/rover.shtm ) That runs $150 with the case when brand new.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2003 :  12:57:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Hans, my favorite source on the Internet when looking for product information is http://groups.google.com. It allows you to do a search of all the Usenet newsgroups, which are basically discussion groups focused on specific topics. I just did a search on the Rover, for example, and found several posts including one guy who has owned five or six different travel guitars and thinks the Rover is the best bet. He says it's a huge improvement over the Backpacker and a slight improvement over the Baby Taylor (he says the sound quality is slightly better but the neck is much easier to play). You can see his entire post here.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2003 :  1:09:46 PM  Show Profile
Again, pricier at $200 and up, but some Go guitar advocates are rabidly enthusiastic. http://www.go-guitars.com

The Rover looks very interesting.

BTW, a side issue on nylon packs. I have a Pro Tec case for my tenor uke, black, and the thing is a lint magnet. It goes from solid black to tweed in half an hour. If you want to look couth, carry a lint roller in the accessory box/pocket. Some nylons are silkier and don't have this problem.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

ongchua
Akahai

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2003 :  2:13:45 PM  Show Profile
Hello Craig,

Thanks for the link. I checked out Jim McCrain's post and sent him an email inquiry for an extended review of the Rover. If it compares almost favorably to a Baby Taylor then it may be worth spending an extra $50. I found a dealer that selling them for $149 (case and shipping included).

The full-sized neck would be a plus.

Hello again Pauline,

The Go Guitar looks rather snazzy and well-made. I'll keep it in my fallback list if none of my more cost-effective options pan out. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

oaklandslacker
Aloha

China
47 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2003 :  12:30:39 AM  Show Profile
At Guitar Centers, I've seen the Olympia Parlor guitar, the OP-2 I think it was. Actually it's more of a 3/4 body shape than a Parlor shape. The body is a little deep. It's $100, you could bargain down from there. I think it sounds pretty good for the price/size, I've seen semi-positive reviews (about as good as could be expected for a $100 guitar).

I considered getting it myself, but decided I'll wait, and get a Seagull Grand some rainy day.
Go to Top of Page

ongchua
Akahai

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2003 :  01:14:24 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the suggestion Jeffrey. There's a GC in Concord. I'll check them out this weekend.
Go to Top of Page

ongchua
Akahai

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  3:43:44 PM  Show Profile
Okay. Here's another interesting candidate that's new for 2003. I haven't seen any postings on it yet in the newsgroups but it seems to be arriving in stores at the moment. It's retail price will be $89 according to http://www.proaudiomusic.com and it's called the Johnson Trailblazer.

The only picture I've been able to find was on eBay so this link will probably expire 60 days after the auction closes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2544513461
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000