Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Dream workshops
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2004 :  12:03:22 AM  Show Profile
So all the scheduling of these workshops and Slack Key Festivals brings to mind" THE DREAM WORKSHOP SCHEDULE!

Second week in June, off to Moloka'i for Keola's workshop, ending in the Moloka'i Slack Key Festival, then over to Maui for George's workshop and the next weekend's Maui Slack Key Festival. A few weeks traveling around Kaua'i and The Big Isle, then off to Oahu for Led's workshop and the Oahu Slack Key Festival.

Would it be possible to communicate with Milton Lau, Mark Nelson and Nancy Kahumoku to coordinate the June schedule for 2006?

I know it is too late for '05.

Hope springs eternal in the heart, Julie

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2004 :  11:37:22 AM  Show Profile
Julie,

Are you referring to 2005? I thought George's and Keola's camps overlapped, with the Moloka`i camp ending just before the He Makana Aloha in Maunaloa. I haven't seen the 2005 Slack Key Festival schedule, but I too would like to make some plans.

Mahalo,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2004 :  12:02:07 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Dave,

the scenario I am hoping for would not be occurring until 2006, since the 2005 workshops will once again be concurrent.

I am currently thinking I'll do the first part of the week on Moloka'i and the second part of the week on Maui. That means, of course, that I will be paying for both workshops. Eeek, I better get a job soon. Sigh....

Why doesn't anything ever go exactly as I want it to?

Julie
Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2004 :  1:46:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
Aloha e Julie,
I think you've planted the seeds for our developing a tribe of gypsy ki ho'alu nomads. We'd wander from island to island as this group, and when not in workshops, we'd be found in parks or "kani kapilas", and on street corners with signs proclaiming "Will slack for grinds". And being full of "aloha", of course we'd be "no-mads".
The pay isn't great, but the perks are incredible. I could get used to that lifestyle!

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2004 :  1:50:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Would it be possible to communicate with Milton Lau, Mark Nelson and Nancy Kahumoku to coordinate the June schedule for 2006?

Hi Julie. I'm sorry you are still conflicted about this. Let me just say that we all three have been in contact in the past. The situation is not quite as simple as you would have it -- namely, there are many other factors in play; among them the scheduling of the venue for the the slack key festival, the availablility of the Moloka'i faciliity, ditto the availability of Mauian, the amount of time needed for planning, holiday and school schedules, etc., etc., etc.

I spoke at length with Milton last year about his plans for the Molokai and Maui slack key festivals and our hopes to co-ordinate in the future. To make a long story short -- he has his conditions he must meet in order to make everything work, and we have ours. He had to move the Molokai festival to July for the simple reason that it was killing him to organize two major events one week apart. So it is highly unlikely that he'll ever move the Molokai event back to June.

We cannot possibly move the Aloha Camp to July as the facility is simply not available. Nor would we want to - June is the nicest time to spend a week at Kaupoa Beach. Likewise we cannot possibly move our event forward a week -- same reason. Also, frankly, we are in the tourism business. A lot of our campers work in education, and thus can only attend a week-long event during the summer vacation. We actually have run into problems already this year - both the LA and Seattle schools don't get out untill after both the Aloha Camp and the Maui workshops have begun! So some of our 'ohana cannot attend this year.

The bottom line? You have to make a choice. Sorry -- life is full of choices.

Julie, I truly wish everyone had the leisure time and funds to plan their "dream workshop" as you have outlined. But most of us have to struggle to get as much as a single week off a year.

This is the way the world works.

No, you cannot take every class, attend every workshop, play every slack key festival, go to every kani kapila, watch every concert... There are many, many more opportunities to study slack key, 'ukulele, hula, etc. than ever before. This is wonderful -- remember, the whole idea here is to honor the culture.

The Aloha Camp sold out last year, with our biggest camp yet. The Maui workshop sold out last year, and I have been told they turned people away, too. Patrick Lendeza's wonderful mainland workshops are successful. I am sure that the August workshop will be a sucess. If it ain't broke, don't mess with it!

One last thing: to be brutally honest, I am pretty tired of explaining this situation. I had to spend a lot of time any energy last year smoothing ruffled feathers, and now I have to do it again. Every time someone raises the issue I get a slew of e-mails, letters and phone calls asking why we can't "fix" the problem. Guess what? There is no problem - only the choice between two wonderful, pono experiences in paradise. Wow, some hardship!

So please consider this the last word on the subject, OK?

Mark Nelson
Aloha Music Camp
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2004 :  01:10:17 AM  Show Profile
Yikes, Mark, you realize I wasn't "grousing"? I simply was hoping for some dream scenario far into the future. Of course, I have no idea what it takes for you to put on one of these events, I am simply a supporter, and happy to be that. I do admit I am terribly selfish and save all year so I can do all these grandiose things I want to do. My life is not one great big smooth path looming ahead of me, time will be running out for me soon. I want to jam-pack what little I have left full of stuff.

I have worked most of my adult life (36 years) in Silicon Valley, slaving over computers in little cubicles, sometimes up to 16 hours a day. I've missed Christmases, birthdays, anniversaries, my son's soccer games. Now in semi-retirement, my worn-out little brain has too much time to dream. Forgive me, please, for my lonesome fantasies.

Let me just say that I really appreciate all you are doing and continue to do. No need to be defensive. I adore you and your lovely wife and mean no disrespect. I am grateful for all the opportunities we have nowadays to study that wonderful music and share the aloha. Just can't seem to get enough, I guess.

When you moved Aloha Camp from August to June, it was ostensibly so we groupies could attend both workshops on one plane ticket. Something went wrong with Milton's schedule. Not of your doing, of course, but now we're told it's tough and get over it. Pardon me for being so disappointed. I may not get to see Auntie Nona again. By the way, there's plenty of discussion about the concurrent workshops, it's just that I am stupid enough to post about it.

So allright, I'll stop fussing and just make the choices. You will hear no more from me.

Me ke aloha pumehana, Julie

Edited by - Julie H on 10/03/2004 12:45:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2004 :  04:05:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Mark, sounds like you could use a week off yourself to reconnect with that aloha spirit!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2004 :  4:25:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
folks,

i've run a couple of 200+ conferences and so have a little bit of an idea of what it takes to pull something like AMC together. the organizer becomes the focus for all complaints large and small. and, it gets really frustrating when you have to give the same unwanted answer to the same question over and over again.

at least at the conferences i ran, i didn't hang out at all hours playing music and drinking beer with the people i later had to say "no" to,

hey julie, did you get that small guitar that dennis lake was showing off?

aloha,
keith

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000