Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Aloha `oe to a dear friend
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2011 :  8:42:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Those of us who play Hawaiian music here in the Pacific Northwest were deeply stunned and saddened to learn of the passing this week of one of our dear musical companions, Susy. She was undergoing treatment for cancer, but chose not to tell most of us about her battle.

She was a marvelous person, a musician to the depths of her soul, and one of those rare beings whose kindness seems to flow from an endless well.

As Momi said in another social-media platform, in this week of Thanksgiving: "I am thankful for SM who taught me you don't need to be born or raised in Hawai`i, or have Hawaiian lineage, to show and share aloha."

She posted to Taropatch only once, on 5/26/2008, to answer a question about the guitar she often played:
quote:
The guitar's name is Kai; the decoration is woodburned roses, vines and a sword; roses and sword are guilded. I bought him in a flea market store on the Oregon coast. He must have been done by a fisherman as he had a lot of sand in him(still has some) and smelled so badly of fish that my cat kept trying to climb into the sound hole! Kai is warped but loves slack key. (I guess that applies to me too.).

Susy
(Rondaleer)

Here is the photo that triggered the question about her guitar (Susy is on the left; her musical partner is our own wonderful neeej):

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2011 :  9:06:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe this was the last picture I took of Susy. She was backstage at LiveAloha, waiting to help transport the members of Hi`ikua. She started dancing to one of the songs that SUPA was playing (I can't remember which).

Goodbye, dear Susy. We will miss you greatly.
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2011 :  9:51:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my God, I had to cry a few minutes before I could even respond to this news.

Susy was a wonderful, wonderful, person. So full of aloha. Just a gentle soul moving in our midst.

How fortunate I am to have known her. I will always remember watching Susy and Jean sitting on of the couches at Aloha Music Camp, Keahou Beach Resort, doing their thing, so much at peace with their world and their friendship and their lives, that I marveled at the gift of aloha that they held in their hands and their hearts.

Oh please, if anyone has more news of Susy, or any services that may be in the planning stages, please share that with us.
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Lokahi

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2011 :  12:20:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’m hugely saddened to hear about this. I knew Susy from the Aloha camps that I’ve been to – the last time I saw her was February this year. I sat on those selfsame couches while Susy sang us a cheeky song. Typically she’d sit working on some knitting, or crochet, or similar. Always making something; always creating. As we sat round having a song or a tune, Susy would often put down what she was working on and spontaneously and unselfconsciously start dancing. At one point she showed me some belly dancing, which was one more thing that she did!

It’s hard to believe that someone so full of life and spirit and energy can so suddenly be gone.

I believe life is fragile and easily lost, and that it’s therefore important to make the most of life while you’re here. Susy was someone who certainly did that.

Sincere condolences to all who were close to her from Trev and Alison.
Go to Top of Page

Cynthia
Aloha

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2011 :  06:47:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is such sad news, I hardly know what to say except that I'm happy that I had a chance to know Susy and to see her earlier this year. I will never think of Aloha camp without thinking of her.

Cynthia in NoVa
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2011 :  07:00:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I too am so sorry to hear this news. All of us should keep Jean (neej) in our prayers, too. The two of them were such a dynamic duo...

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2011 :  07:07:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My condolences to Susy's family, friends and extended ʻohana (Pacific Northwest Hawaiian music scene, AMC and Taropatch.net.)

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Tommy
Akahai

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2011 :  07:15:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Such sad news, but as the sun streams through my window onto my desk I canʻt help but smile thinking of Susy and how she and Jean were always "up to something" that would crack the camp up. Jean-I am so sorry for your loss. Aloha.
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2011 :  08:35:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awww - you guys make me maka wai. I'm going to copy these posts to a document I'm creating for her husband & family. Mahalo all.

--Jean S

Edited by - neeej on 11/25/2011 08:35:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2011 :  09:08:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will miss Susy. It seems that so many of my friends are passing. She truly "had heart" [pointing to my heart].

keaka
Go to Top of Page

PuaLynn
Lokahi

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2011 :  09:44:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was very saddened to read of Susy's passing. I was so lucky to be touched by her wit and aloha at my five+ years of AMC. My heart goes out to her family, to her special friend, Jean, and all of us who will miss her very much.

Me ke aloha,
Lynn
Go to Top of Page

Rich_Smith
Lokahi

USA
242 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2011 :  10:20:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See the Joy! Susy loved to dance. I will miss her!

Rich Smith
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2011 :  5:53:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
She was a wonderful lady and musical friend.
Jesse
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2011 :  6:49:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Susy always had a kind way and ready laughter. We will all miss her sorely.
Go to Top of Page

TerryLiberty
Lokahi

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2011 :  04:36:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit TerryLiberty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jean:

My wife, Bonnie and I were very saddened to hear of Susy's passing. We only met her once at Cyril's recent visit but we were both delighted with her outgoing and enthusiastic nature. It must be an awful loss for those who were close to her.

Terry
Olympia, WA

Terry

Olympia, WA
Forever a haumana
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2011 :  11:02:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's maddening how many of my firends and acquaintances have passed in the last month: Steve Parker, a great friend and wonderful old time musician and compoeser of rags (I even hired him to work for me at Hughes aircraft in 1977), Jack Link, a co-conspirator in life anda hell of a fiddler - old time and sountry, Bob Grossman, a roommate at PSGW Winter Retreats, and now Susie. [sigh!]

keaka
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000