Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Old Time Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2013 :  08:15:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On both clips the low seventh string can be heard--more clearly on the audio/photo-montage one. BTW, his style is wonderfully swing-y. Very hip. Or maybe hep.

The modified Martin that George Winston plays in the slack-key segments of his concert is set up with an extra bass string (usually tuned to C). It's mentioned in this old thread:

http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8613

Go to Top of Page

Ambrosius
Lokahi

132 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2013 :  08:51:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fran Guidry

I see four tuning pegs on the treble side.

Fran

I thought so as well, Fran.

However, at time like 1:04 (Edit: Even clearer on time 1:45), when he lifts the peg-head up from the dark background, what appears to be two are to my eyes just reflection from one.

The lowest I find recorded are a C2, and since he's one whole down from G Taro-Patch to F tuning? He would then lower his low D2 to a C2?

Edited by - Ambrosius on 01/10/2013 08:56:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2013 :  09:13:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of Uncle Tom's nephews told me that Uncle always travelled with 4 guitars, each in a different tuning. That is a 7 string guitar he's playing.
Go to Top of Page

bradabo
Aloha

2 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2013 :  09:34:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for now knowing who my " Uncle " was and how great he truely could play Slack Key. The reason he plays a 7 string guitar, with the 7th string tuned to a Bb is so he now can play a Bb tuning with that open top string without retuning his guitar or play a different guitar that is tuned to Bb. So basicly he had 2 tunings in 1 guitar. He did that to his "G" guitar with a "C" on the top bass and a "A" guitar with a "D" on the top bass Now if our singer " Ross Oana " wanted to modulate from "F" to "Bb", or the other way around, " Uncle had no problem being able to play in both keys without skipping a beat Hope this helps and I was there when " Uncle " got his first of many custom 7 string guitars made by another " Uncle Shu Tan Wu " and why " Uncle Tom " wanted that guitar for, but that's another story and memory of all the times that this man just blew me away
quote:
Originally posted by sirduke58

A couple of weeks ago I had decided to put new strings on one of my guitars. The idea of stopping at F Taropatch on the way to replacing the strings crossed my mind. There was a YouTube video of an old time slacker I had never heard of named Thomas Kamahaku playing "Ahulili" in F Taropatch. I figured hey why not borrow a few of his sweet chops & licks. I did & in the process found out that the full step down taropatch tuning gave my whole repertoire in that tuning a fresh new feel. The guitar opened up in the lowered tuning too. I love the deeper notes & fatness. The guitar stayed in that tuning for a whole week with the old strings.

Here's the video link of Thomas Kamahaku I mentioned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDw_1F-g-JI

Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2013 :  12:22:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
originally posted by bradabo

Thank you for now knowing who my " Uncle " was and how great he truely could play Slack Key. The reason he plays a 7 string guitar, with the 7th string tuned to a Bb is so he now can play a Bb tuning with that open top string without retuning his guitar or play a different guitar that is tuned to Bb. So basicly he had 2 tunings in 1 guitar. He did that to his "G" guitar with a "C" on the top bass and a "A" guitar with a "D" on the top bass Now if our singer " Ross Oana " wanted to modulate from "F" to "Bb", or the other way around, " Uncle had no problem being able to play in both keys without skipping a beat Hope this helps and I was there when " Uncle " got his first of many custom 7 string guitars made by another " Uncle Shu Tan Wu " and why " Uncle Tom " wanted that guitar for, but that's another story and memory of all the times that this man just blew me away
quote:

Howzit Bruddah Alan
Welcome to the "Patch" first of all. Mahalo for chiming in with some insight to your Uncle Thomas Kamahaku's ki ho'alu playing. My friend & fellow slacker shared your uncle's video with me about the middle of last year. He stumbled across it about a year ago & was ranting & raving to me about it but he couldn't find it again because of the way the uploader title the YouTube video. I was blown away by your unlce's "Ahulili" How could I not have heard about a man that plays ki ho'alu like he does? And.....why did I have to discover him only after he has passed?
I had a feeling his 7 string guitar had an extra bass string.I guessed correctly that his Taropatch F tuning had the extra Bb bass. It made sense to me because if it was tuned to Taropatch G you'd want the extra string to be tuned to C so you could play all the Drop C (Leonard's C) stuff without retuning. Mahalo for confirming.
Eh Alan, I was born in Hilo Hospital but raised on Oahu. Most my ohana stay still on the Hamakua Coast & my parents are living in Laupahoehoe. Check out my YouTubes under "sirduke58" I try to play the old style exclusively & you can bet I'll pick up some of your Uncle Tom's ki ho'alu and incorporate it into mine.

Shoots
Duke

Hoof Hearted?...Was it you Stu Pedaso?
Go to Top of Page

bradabo
Aloha

2 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2013 :  1:31:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mahalo's brada Duke
" Uncle " also had a couple of 11 string custom made gutar by " Uncle Shu Tan Wu ". The top 3 strings where single while the bottom 4 where double strings with the bass strings on the top of the octave higher string on the "D" and "G" string. Where as in a 12 string guitar it has it the other way around with the higher string first. " Uncle " wanted to "hear" the bass first when playing those strings. I am fortunate enough to have learned some of his style and have a couple of CD's that " Uncle Shu Tan Wu " passed on to me of "Uncle Tom " playing in Shu Tan's living room and me showing up @ the end of the CD
...brada bo ( Alan )
quote:
Originally posted by sirduke58

A couple of weeks ago I had decided to put new strings on one of my guitars. The idea of stopping at F Taropatch on the way to replacing the strings crossed my mind. There was a YouTube video of an old time slacker I had never heard of named Thomas Kamahaku playing "Ahulili" in F Taropatch. I figured hey why not borrow a few of his sweet chops & licks. I did & in the process found out that the full step down taropatch tuning gave my whole repertoire in that tuning a fresh new feel. The guitar opened up in the lowered tuning too. I love the deeper notes & fatness. The guitar stayed in that tuning for a whole week with the old strings.

Here's the video link of Thomas Kamahaku I mentioned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDw_1F-g-JI

Go to Top of Page

Ambrosius
Lokahi

132 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2013 :  12:12:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck
That is a 7 string guitar he's playing.

Hey hey hey, I never argue with a Trønder

A perfectly good explanation has been given by his nephew for the 7th string (although I can't see it or hear it on the video, not the B flat) Playing with singers and all, he could cover all from three sharps to two flats with three instruments, still having the familiar 'Taro Patch' pattern which even Ambrosius have learnt to understand.

Besides, I second the forums own nobleman, SirDuke in his views, this is well played and a very interesting video.
Go to Top of Page

cyril
Lokahi

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2013 :  4:51:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit cyril's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Usually use the 7th string for low base. When I use 7 I tune to a low C for lower base notes.

Cyril Pahinui
cyril.cyrilpahinui.com
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  09:51:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Correct answer:
All of the Above?
Also factor in the tonal shift it creates, especially on a cd or record where there may be several cuts in the same key, often back to back.
well, for those of us who grew up with LP's, and hang on to the theory of sequencing/deciding order for your tunes--like a dJ!

Of course, a great deal of the tonal shifts are inadvertent...that's just where they tuned their instruments that day...
but I wouldn't be surprised if sophisticated artists e.g. : George Winston, Jeff Peterson, Ozzie? and others artists and producers, who have input, might agree there's a benefit to not recording too many cuts in the same exact, A 440 center, especially when some artists often will work predominately in their favorite tuning.

Go to Top of Page

Haolenuke
Lokahi

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2013 :  06:38:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha,

Does anyone know if there is enough music recorded by Thomas Kamahaku to create either a retrospective album, or to add his work to an Old Time Hawaiian Slack Key compilation? The two mele on YouTube are fantastic, so I wonder if there is more material available.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2013 :  05:19:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think Uncle Tom recorded. He was a teacher, though, and had some students in the Vancouver, WA-Portland, OR area.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000